Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

...or read any testimonial from Janine Garafalo ... she tried to go cue card free one episode and Franken bawled her out. On SNL you MUST read cue cards/teleprompter it's not a choice.

2. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Now that Harvey is out and in flames... NOW they can gently wash their hands of him... but the nature of Weinstein's abuses and crimes and ongoing Revelations of them is going to mean this subject will be handled delicately. Even if you go after Hollywood ITSELF.. can you imagine that sketches featuring HARD DIGS at Damon or Affleck, who might already be scheduled as guests in a few weeks, are in the offing? Is Michael Che going to lash out here when HE has some scuttlebutt about mistreating women within the past year on his own record?? SNL might dip a toe by having the ladies make a point but this one will feature MANY pulled punches and averted gazes!

Paper Wizard and PlushFieldHarpy like this.
  3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Really..... Stephen Colbert wasn't pulling punches about it as best I can see, and he's pretty connected.

4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

There's a lot of room for our activist comedians to plug this into their regular message, but how truthful are they about all of its implications?

goodiesguy likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

More truthful than most of the talking heads on the news.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Weinstein was a national story. Can't claim it was a "NY thing" when Hollywood is out in California.
    It's very curious that they chose to ignore it. Will be interesting to see if they do anything this week......

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It looks so unprepared or unprofessional when they do it. It can distracting enough that I lose concentration of the skit. Different people are better no matter what. I enjoy when it seems spontaneous. Bill Murray and Gilda Radner always seemed spontaneous (mostly) to me.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  8. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It's not like it's some arbitrary pointless rule--dialogue often gets rewritten right before air. In general, the cast members can manage to keep their eyelines relatively in check, but every couple weeks you end up with a host who can't hide it. I agree it's distracting.

chacha and OldSoul like this.
  9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Well, Ronan Farrow works for NBC and they would not run the story. He had to go to the New Yorker to get it published, including that awful audio obtained by the NYPD. Perhaps the SNL crew were told from the higher ups at NBC to leave the Weinstein stuff alone.

10. rburly

That's the problem, if true. There are many stories of the "higher ups" saying "No" and the person/people going ahead on principle. Something like this should be part of why a skit should be done. Put it in WU at least.

artfromtex likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Weinstein story really went viral after Saturday as now everyone is putting in their 2 cents. I'm sure they will talk about it this week.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  12. rburly

It had been on TMZ and other sites well before last Saturday.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. artfromtex

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes but it really blew up big time with everyone telling their experience this week. They will have to talk about this week.

15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

They should get Ben Affleck to host! :)

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

goodiesguy, Shawn and Paper Wizard like this.
  17. artfromtex

:laugh:

18. artfromtex

They HAVE to spoof this!

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

You killed it on that one! ...also, Elliott has someone to blame now. That damn fake news cycle.

20. Zep Fan

Weinstein related news has been, if not the lead story, in the top 3 stories of every program that news or entertainment news for days now, only being bumped by the tragic California Fires, and follow ups on the Vegas Massacre....

21. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Next live show (and the last in this opening cycle) begins in about half an hour. And the first mystery on the hosts/guests in the next live cycle will be revealed (I am still hoping Kelly Clarkson will be there somewhere).

But seeing that so far all the musical guests have not been groups, expect another Trump/Baldwin-free show with no cameos (not counting Jason Aldean’s touching cold opening last week). Also expect a skit about Harvey Weinstein.

22. Zep Fan

Harvey Weinstein expelled from motion picture academy

Embattled film mogul Harvey Weinstein — a once-dominant force in the Academy Awards who rewrote the rules of Oscar campaigning — has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in response to mounting allegations of sexual harassment and assault against him.

The film academy’s 54-member board of governors, which includes such industry luminaries as Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Kathleen Kennedy and Whoopi Goldberg, voted in an emergency meeting on Saturday morning to remove Weinstein from the organization’s ranks in an unprecedented public rebuke of a prominent industry figure.

So.... this is now a West Coast story. So, I guess you could say that Harvey is now a coast to coast story. Probably big enough to address.

23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Hopefully they make fun of their own network's news department...

goodiesguy, artfromtex, Culpa and 2 others like this.
  24. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Show is on...and so is Trump/Baldwin (we’ll, at least one cameo tonight!).

25. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Wow, maybe it's best if I DON'T watch this. I'm reminded of being a child sitting in a church pew or a particularly interminable boring class in school.

Paper Wizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.