David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Heathen

1. "Sunday" 4:47
    2. "Slip Away" 6:14
    3. "Afraid" 3:25
    4. "Slow Burn" 5:04

1. "5:15 The Angels Have Gone" 5:25
    2. "Everyone Says 'Hi'" 3:56
    3. "A Better Future" 3:56
    4. "Heathen (The Rays)" 4:13

Prefer the Moby mix of Sunday; I like the Kate Bush drums and the synths lifted from Ashes To Ashes at the end.

e.s. and Runicen like this.
  2. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I'd add "A Small Plot Of Land" instead of "Wishful Beginnings" and "Voyeur" instead of "Oxford Town" (not necessarily keep them in this order)...

GLYNSTYLER and seasonsinthesky like this.
  3. Bowie hated country music.

imarcq likes this.
  4. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Now we're talking!

imarcq likes this.
  5. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I know :) Oh the irony! ;) At least they didn't mix him up with Dolly! :D

6. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

No, of course it isn't obvious. What IS obvious is that is was introduced BEFORE the mastering stage. The reason no other mastering has it is that they werent remixed from the original tapes with THAT attempted fix.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am referring to the mastering stage as that point when the mix is committed to a master plate/cd or whatever.

Perhaps you are mistakenly conflating REmastering and mastering, as REmastering includes the process of cleaning up and remixing etc?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Even if the mistake didn’t occur in the mastering phase (which I believe I did), the place that any mixing errors of this type is fixed is in the mastering phase. It’s a mastering problem. They were the last ones to touch it, and this was Visconti’s “fix”. Sorry.

WeeSam likes this.
  8. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

"I like a little country" David Bowie

and remember Stateside? The worst five minutes of Bowie's career.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  9. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Lol. Just think about what you said. It is in no way a mastering problem, even with your scenario it would be a QA problem. The ONLY way it would be a "mastering problem" is if that volume drop was INTRODUCED DURING THE MASTERING PROCESS.

And lets not try and move goalposts, it was (is?) claimed that it was a mastering ERROR - not "problem".

A good analogy here would be if someone made a hits compilation and there was a track which was not a hit, you'd be claiming that was also a mastering problem because it was at that stage the tracks were set before printing.

10. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I tend to agree. That does'
    Errors cause problems and problems cause errors, so let's not worry about that.

Of course this was introduced into the remastering by Visconti, or a member of his team. But where is he? *crickets*

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

That would be sour hell for me. Three of my four favourite tracks missing:

Voyeur, Plot and Prick.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

His re-recording of Repetition for a BBC Radio session in 1997 was almost there. But yeah, not really :)

13. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

if i had a fly on my face and i chose to kill it with a hammer - i'd call that a mistake. basically you have a problem, which is the drop - and their solution, which is the mistake.

edit: oh, and also what they did for the rest of the track, which is totally up in the air - as it's impossible to work out what happened there. i wonder if the fixed fix will still have the rest of the track behaving in the same way it does on this release? that'll be the next interesting development in all of this

14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm sure you could do a free trial. Just have to stream them, not buy them.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s absolutely a mastering problem. They were presented with an issue to solve...which is what happens at every mastering session if you’ve paid any attention to anything our host has been saying. It’s their job to solve that problem seemlessly. Visconti and Staff absolutely failed here. Their “fix” was the equivalent of patching a pothole with a bucket of oatmeal.

sunspot42, John Buchanan and OldSoul like this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

What a week it's been so far, everyone doing things out of the ordinary

[​IMG]

Cat People likes this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Guess what? There's a 'temporary loss of energy' in the '91 remaster of "Heroes" too, check out the left channel of "Beauty and the Beast" at 3:05

18. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

I remember a huge buzz about the Ryko releases. Displays in stores, posters, magazine articles.

Used Bowie vinyl of the RCA years had been hard to come by since it went OOP. Remember, this predated slightly the mass move to CDs and the mass dumping of vinyl collections on the market. It took over a year of weekly digging for me to assemble an RCA collection on vinyl. Then the CDs came out with bonus tracks and I bought them all again, after buying Sound + Vision on vinyl.

Thankfully, I skipped the EMI reissues. I knew nothing about how they sounded at the time, but I remember looking at them and thinking, “wow, lame packaging, no bonus tracks”. Little did I know they’d be in print for the better part of two decades.

e.s. likes this.
  19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Double entendre - both meanings of the word "recall." :laugh:

Jim B. likes this.
  20. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

The Beatles in Mono vinyl box. I agree they’re thin on the ground, though. But when a product is advertised as “Audiophile 180g vinyl”, we have a right to expect more. And yes, I know, Parlophone would say that the part that was audiophile was the thickness and weight of the records themselves, not the presentation of the music.

scobb and jon9091 like this.
  21. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Holy Smokes! Bowie wearing a flannel shirt?!?
    Actually I'm wearing one right now but I'm an old mid-west working class white guy

John Porcellino likes this.
  22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

But he appears to be at home. A lot of the dress-up in public is probably just show biz. A guy wants to be comfortable at home, you know?

Preston likes this.
  23. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I agree - the mistake, or error, was the solution they employed to fix the fly problem. With this analogy you smashing the hammer into your face is the automated compensation gubbings they used to come up with the finalised track, prior to it being mastered. Which was my point. Calling it a "mastering error" is suggesting a machine somewhere had an unforeseen glitch which nobody expected or wanted. I believe them when they said they chose the hammer solution, regardless of whether that was the correct choice or not.

24. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

ok, yeah - i see what you mean. i still think it's a bit iffy on whether they actually achieved what they wanted to do, myself - just from how bad it sounds, and also just my gut general feeling these things do seem like they weren't played back as whole songs and albums - because sonically they nearly all sound off, and fatiguing to listen to for long stretches of time. Psychoacoustics, that sort of thing, they seem draining to me when listening for too long so my instinct is to think they never sat back and looked at the bigger picture with anything - which in itself could result in the issues with heroes.

Anyway, so you're saying:
    They did exactly what they wanted to do, and listened to it and thought it was ok - but it was a mistake them thinking that it was ok.
    Whilst others are saying:
    They meant to achieve something else, and therefore the result was a mistake in and of itself (and what they did do went unnoticed).

or am i still getting that wrong?

25. If you’ve seen just about any later day interview with him, you know that Bowie the guy is a lot different than Bowie the rock star.