Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Diamond Dogs

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A very popular one here:
    [​IMG]

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

5. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Do you like Costello, @Rne ?

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I haven't listened enough to give an opinion, just a couple of songs I can't remember now, so I might as well say I've never listened to him.

7. BurtThomasWard

Well, at least you're honest ;)

A wild guess would be that the first 6-8 albums could be your thang, but there is only so much time and money one has to spend.

budwhite likes this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of the main reasons why I haven't given a listen to many artists yet.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Just got my "new" used Technics sl-b3 (mid 80s) turntable connected. New needle and it's rocking good. My other player was just fine and has sentimental value because my uncle and dad had it before me (bought mid 70s). But there was some annoying rumble going on so I decided to get another one, and the Technics is quiet! Very satisfied as I only payed 550kr for it.

Zeppelin II is spinning today again because it sounds great and the music is awesome

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I gotta get my ass in gear and get ready for work. Meantime, I'm listening to Alpha Mike Foxtrot/Wilco. I just ordered the Being There 5CD and A.M. Special Edition. I usually wait as long as I can on most purchases, but these ones is special, thread. :D

"I got a court date comin' this June, I'll be driving soon. Passenger side, passenger side,
    I don't like riding on the passenger side."

12. budwhite

I'm also interested in those, especially Being There. But I'll wait until release before I decide

Led Zep I. Not as good sounding as II. Maybe the best debut rock n roll record ever

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and footlooseman like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In my opinion, they're pretty similar soundwise. I prefer I because of sound and content. One of the best debut albums, indeed.

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Time for some Argentine rock with Seru Giran's Grasa de las capitales. It's not my intention to sound chauvinistic, because I ain't, but had this band (like many others from different part of the world, of course) been American or British, we would be discussing it in depth.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    budwhite likes this.
  15. budwhite

I finished Wilco's solid sound 2017 yesterday. Three great shows! My favorite was the second show. First gig had great songs but I'm not a big fan of playing albums in order... Third night was Tweedy. That was fun. Jeff is a funny guy. I would love to hit that festival next time!

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

"Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" has always been one of my faves, but I've always liked the studio version from the album better than any of the live versions I've heard. All of the live versions I've heard resemble the studio version in name only and the studio version just grooves so much harder. I haven't heard the live version that's in the 40th Anniversary set at Tivoli Concert Hall on 11/4/69, though.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

2019 Bud. We are there. Your take on those three shows is the same as mine. I'm not a big fan of album shows either. Conceptually it sounds like a good idea, but in practice.... unless it's the 'oo doing Tommy. "Captain Walker didn't come home, his unborn child will never know him..."

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

Coming back for more, eh? I thought you had learned yer lesson as of yesterday, but I was clearly mistaken. The gall of some peop...

;)

Yes, they are usually very different, but I do like 'em. Shameful as it is to admit this, I haven't yet found the time to watch the live dvd from Denmark or either of the ones from the Bootleg series. That is usually a problem 'round here. Dvd are cool enough but I have to be in the right mood or mode.

EDIT: I'll tell you in a hour. I put it on.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    More Argentine rock, now from 1970.

20. wavethatflag

"Still The Same" came up on shuffle today. That's a good song. I don't know a lot about Bob Seger so I have nothing smart to say. Glenn Frey was in his band at one point.

Listening to "Money, Love and Change" from TAB at the TAB. He steals Petty's logo with the album cover. What the hey:
    [​IMG]

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Do some of the bootleg series have DVDs? I only have the Vol. 3 one (Live at the Fillmore) that I believe you posted yesterday, which doesn't have any DVD. I have one Miles DVD containing Bitches Brew material, called A Different Kind of Blue, that contains the 8/23/70 Isle of Wight Festival performance but it's been a while since I watched it. I don't watch much DVD material either these days as any attempts to do so outside of regular school hours is most likely to result in the kids watching a Disney film instead.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the best Zappa releases. Period.

23. BurtThomasWard

The first two. On the first one you have two gigs, West Germany on 7 November 1967 and Sweden on 31 October 1967, and on vol. 2 there is another German one, recorded on 7 November 1969 at the Berliner Jazztage in the Berlin Philharmonie. I will try to finally watch them during the weekend.

All of these gigd were captured by the national broadcasting systems of various European countries because jazz was viewed as an artform over here. Sadly almost none of what is in the archives of the Norwegian one (NRK) have been released to date. The only exception that springs to mind is the rather fabulous Stax/Volt Review one from Oslo in 1967. That one is just wiiiild.

Which is more than I can say for the version of "Miles Runs..." from Denmark. Very mellow and tentative, IMO. But the gig is great and Shorter is awesome. Miles gets bonus points for the ugliest west/shirt combo I've seen thus far :D:D:D

Crispy Rob, adamos and dzhason like this.
  24. budwhite

Amazing show. Petty and The Heartbreakers were great curators of rock n roll.
    Just release this show already. I think it might blow a few people away. What a live band! And last but not least, Petty was a great singer and it really shows here with all different kinds of songs they played

mgb70, adamos and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

OH YEAH. The Stax/Volt Norway DVD is essential. One of the top 3 or 4 music DVDs in my collection.

BurtThomasWard and budwhite like this.