Lyrics/actions being "added" to songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by the "Shout" thread, specifically both the "Shout" dance and "YMCA" hand actions, what other instances can you name where lyrics and/or actions have been added to a song over time, at weddings or sporting events or just in general?

The best example I can think of is "Sweet Caroline", where it's now the norm to do the "BUM BUM BUM" and "SO GOOD! SO GOOD!", both which aren't originally part of the song (the "BUM BUM BUM" at least was, but as brass instead of vocals).

Fullbug likes this.
  2. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

You're supposed to headbang when the heavy metal section kicks in on "Bohemian Rhapsody." (Thanks, Wayne's World.)

3. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is full of examples.

4. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Hank Williams, Jr. - Family Tradition fits what you're talking about. I don't know where this started, but everyone in the South seems to know the added parts automatically.

Edited to add: Apparently this is so well-known that it's part of the wiki entry for this song!

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

When I was in college, Billy Idol's cover of Mony Mony was huge, and every time it was played at a party the crowd added a distinctly NSFW chant to part of the song.

Fullbug, Maurice and c-eling like this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

...and because of those extra improvised lyrics, the song is supposedly banned from high school dances across North America !

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Living Next Door To Alice - Smokie

ALICE ALICE WHO THE F**K IS ALICE?

edit:

and of course Frank Zappa's "song that has a different title and lyrics each and every day"
    You might (or not) know it as Let's Move To Cleveland (and maybe as "Young And Monde" or "Canard Du Jour", maybe even as Kreegah Bondolo)

here's my favorite variations (all from '84)

Kiss My Volcano (Chicago)
    Sit On My Faceland (Memphis)
    Ray White Had A Brownout (Padova)
    Let's Go To The W****house (London)
    Ray White On Vocals/Chad Wackerman On Drums/
    Scott Thunes On Bass/Allan Zavod On Keyboards/
    Bobby Martin On Keyboards/Ike Willis On Vocals
    (And Of Course The Mad Italian Buffoon,
    And We Hope That We Will Come Back Soon) (Wantagh)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    pantofis likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That stupid "BUM BUM BUM" (or "BAH BAH BAH" as some people sing it) is one of my biggest musical pet peeves of all time. It drives me insane and I want to punch people in the face when I hear them do it.

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Avoid Karaoke bars... ;)

10. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

The "SO GOOD!" does it for me. At least the "BUM/BAH" is sort of in the song, but people shout the "SO GOOD!" part like it's the great lyric ever written. Hint: it's not.

11. lightbulb

Since the actual lyrics have been a mysterious secret, and subject to continuous scrutiny and speculation since its' first spin, notably by the FBI in the Sixties, and thus many lyrics have been improvised by every performer....
    I guess this record qualifies:

Louie Louie
    by The Kingsmen

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  12. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

This might be my biggest pet peeve of all time. Not the actions, but the added lyrics. I used to be a mobile DJ, so I probably heard them more than the average person. I can't even pinpoint why I find it so irritating, but I sure do.

Even if I'm listening to "Sweet Caroline" by myself, I hear the "SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!" in my head and it's instant bad mood.

Another one is "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" by David Allan Coe. On the chorus when he sings, "And I'll hang around as long as you will let me" everyone follows that up with "LET ME! LET ME! LET ME! LET ME!" I don't know who started that or why.

I'm even going to mention "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Every year at a family Christmas party, there are about 8 adorable little kids that sing this, but they add all the extra words ("Like a light bulb!" and "Like Pinocchio!"). I just grit my teeth and smile.

I know there are more, but thankfully I can't remember them at the moment.

13. gregorya

The first place I heard the "so good" bit was on the Big Bang Theory, although perhaps it was already a thing when they did it. Since then I've even seen it on a TV commercial.

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not sure this fits, but when listening to Peter Frampton's Show Me The Way, I always cup my left hand around my left ear and title my head forward after the opening line.

Chemguy likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

sadly that's been around for decades, if I could go back in time and find the guy who first did it in some dusty karaoke bar I would (ill have to save baby hitler for next time)

16. gregorya

:)

Any chance that Neil himself started the "so good so good" thing in concert?

17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille

jerol

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Orleans "Still the One" and "Dance With Me" both have a lot of unofficial lyrics. Always wonder if the band planned it that way.

19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Happy Birthday, as in the actual song. I don't know if it's just me that never heard this before but my elementary school-age daughter and all her friends and classmates throw in a "Cha-cha-cha" between each line of the song and finish the last line off with a screamed "NACHO CHEESE!!!!" Has anyone else heard this before?

ianuaditis and lightbulb like this.
  20. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

No self respecting Aussie would be unaware of the additional lyrics to this classic song by The Angels. You can clearly hear the audience during a quiet section.

Sluggy and vamborules like this.
  21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

You're now expected to sing the "Hey, hey, hey, hey!" in "Knockin' On Heaven's Door." Thanks, Guns 'N' Roses...

arob71 likes this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

How does that apply?

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Another one in a similar vein (which seems to be done mainly at karaoke bars) is during "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers.... after the 2nd chorus, people always feel the need to sing the bass line ("BUM... BUM BUM... BUM BUM...") that leads into the next section. Why? WHY? :rolleyes:

(the part I'm referring to occurs at the 1:50 mark)

24. lightbulb

I've noticed that at little tot birthday parties they typically sing :
    " Happy Birthday To You, CHA CHA CHA !!! "

You'd better avoid those -
    Or you may have a conniption and break out with hives !!!
    :winkgrin: ;) :winkgrin:

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

At certain sporting events, there are "enhancements" made to "The Star-Spangled Banner." The most obvious: At Baltimore Orioles home baseball games, it's now accepted to shout the letter "O" (as in O's, short for Orioles) when the line "O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave" is sung.

And ever since Harry Caray first sang "Root, root, root for the White Sox" at the seventh-inning stretch of games at Comiskey Park in the 1970s, it's now accepted to replace "home team" in the lyrics of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" with the nickname of the actual home team when sung at a ballpark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.