Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah a real detective. lol.

Just one more question...

SteveM, Purple Jim and The Revealer like this.
  2. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Your brain already makes the world 3D - why do you need these gimmicks to distort things? The film has already been shot to make it realistic in the first place.

3. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I bought the soundtrack. I like it. I don't like it because it's particularly memorable though. It does its best to be 'BR-like' at moments and otherwise completely derivative of the kind of moody, banal stuff I hear in a lot of movies - possibly because Zimmer gets a lot of work these days. I can write to it and it evokes the mood I'm looking for. Evoking mood is its sole purpose in the film.

Listening to the Vangelis soundtrack is like taking a tour through the world in which BR is set. "One More Kiss, Dear" is brilliant because it's a homemade bit of nostalgia.

I like having the particular Sinatra and Presley songs on the soundtrack because I don't have any of those artist's music in my collection. I recognize their importance and I recognize that their inclusion on a soundtrack is just a shortcut away from actual creativity.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    enro99 and daglesj like this.
  4. The Revealer

I've decided to go see this movie again, though probably next week. I liked it a lot and I'll most likely never see it presented in a theater in this way again.

I don't like everything about it. It has some big flaws. Guess what, so does the original. The 'green eyes' is a perfect example. They should be green all the time, but apparently Young didn't like wearing the contacts. Also, they are both brooding, white male-oriented dramas that could have done much better by their female characters.

Every film is just a film and you'll find discontinuities and inconsistencies unless it was made with Kubrickian care. Does this film sink to basic storytelling tropes from time to time? Sure.

Yet, it has a lot of real thought and emotion in there. It's visually fascinating. It comments on the same things as the original in new ways and also by forcing us to ask, "Is this really Blade Runner?" just like we are supposed to ask, "What makes someone human?"

I thought it mostly worked and I realize I didn't give myself enough permission to have giggly fun the first time around because I was so attached to the idea that it wouldn't be BR enough or whatever blah blah filled my head.

nojmplease likes this.
  5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw it last night - a very worthy sequel. Some great visuals and continued to pose the same philosophical questions that the original did but in a novel way. I think the director has a truly great movie in him. This one isn't it, but it is still very strong.

The Revealer likes this.
  6. Captain Caveman

Yes, it is a truly great movie. But hey that's your opinion - are you a replicant?

harmonica98 likes this.
  7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Another update from the manager of my local Cinemark. I questioned the THX certification and the provenance of the digital file and this is his response.

"I sought further clarification from our Booth Engineer. As of now right now we have submitted for THX certification but are not officially THX certified yet. Unofficially we passed all THX tests however he believes we will be announcing it sometime in November, pending review. Our presentation department is handling the final steps and awaiting the official certification."

"Blade Runner was released in 4K and we are playing the 4K print on a BARCO 32B 4K model projector."

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

????

I really liked the nod to "2001: A Space Odyssey" with the PanAm building making an appearance!!! Also the control panel of the Wallace ship that was headed for the off-world launch site was a modern day update of the PanAm jet clipper!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You don't have any Sinatra or Presley and you're at the SHF? Never admit that, kid! :p

I also got the soundtrack and it's not as musical as "Interstellar" (which I love) and as you say it's really a hybrid of music and sound effects. Very interesting. I was happy to hear that some of the weird sounds in the film (like this hair-raising grinding/air horn blast bellow) was really part of the soundtrack and NOT a sound effect! Han Zimmer is really playing a HUGE role in the films of Nolan and now Villeneuve. They're all borrowing from Paul Thomas Anderson's "overwhelm the audience" soundtrack style and Zimmer's sound-effects score is really a major part of the cinematic effect. He's not simply doing pleasant background music or swelling strings to create emotion, he's pummelling you sonically like a Ligeti or Philip Glass with abstractness. Han Zimmer also is riffing off Jóhann Jóhannsson "Sicario" soundtrack to bring unity to Villenueve scores. I like the direction of modern soundtracks, very ... futuristic. :D

Bevok and The Revealer like this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Wasn't there a PanAm building in the original Blade Runner? I seem to recall seeing it recently and thinking, "Well I guess they didn't get that prediction right." And then chuckling when they just went ahead and included it in 2049 as well.

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah I think there was. Did you catch the giant Atari ad, too? There was also one that referenced the Soviet Union, which apparently still exists in the BR universe. I actually liked that they just stuck with the continuity they established for the universe in the 1980s, even if reality diverged from it.

Bevok, SuntoryTime and The Revealer like this.
  13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Well in all fairness, Atari actually still does exist these days, at least in name only. That's one where they kind of lucked out.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, technically, though they're not anywhere near as big or prominent as they used to be, so in our universe they wouldn't have a giant ad like that.

15. Captain Caveman

It's not our universe.

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Obviously. Here we are, just one year away from when the original takes place, and we're not even remotely close to perfecting the type of technology imagined in the early Eighties (or late Sixties, when the book was written). Yet on the other hand, we're vastly beyond some of the technology on display. (So many "future" movies feature some version of the "video pay phone," yet no one seems to have ever predicted the advent of cellphones.)

Even the computer displays in 2049 pale in comparison to what's actually capable in real-life 2017.

Rufus McDufus and Ghostworld like this.
  17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

:doh:

The Revealer likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hah! I didn't even think about this! Blissfully free of cell phones! Maybe people get wise in the future and realize having your location tracked every second isn't the best idea..

19. The Revealer

I'm bookmarking this whole exchange. Too funny!

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Happy to oblige. :shtiphat:

The Revealer likes this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Just got back from seeing this.

I need to read back through this thread, but am I the only one who felt that the weakest link of the whole thing was Jared Leto? The original movie had antagonists, sure, but it didn't have straight up mustache twirling villains. All Leto was missing was a pile of puppies to strangle while he engaged in his pretentious monologues. His motivations even stopped making sense after a while.

Oh, and a weird thought: did anyone else get the feeling the movie was intended to be much longer than it already was? I can't pin down specifics, but I got vague hunches here and there that more buildup was intended for certain events and instead they just kind of happen. It wouldn't shock me that the original cut was some 4 hour monstrosity and the studio insisted on cutting it down.

Solaris and Ghostworld like this.
  22. Except Kirk and company. :tiphat:

JohnBeas likes this.
  23. The Revealer

Well, they did need tricorders to Google. :magoo:

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You're not alone. Leto generally disliked. What a hambone Lots of us also think it could use some serious trims. Villeneuve spent like three minutes building up to Goslingly finding the horse ... a huge build to a crash of cymbals and thunder and my reaction was as a viewer was "oh.."

Talk about overplaying your hand as a director. It wasn't even a surprise ....halfway through the scene you knew what was coming.

You could sense kubricks influence in a bunch of shots and the protracted way some scenes were elongated with slow takes and deliberate deliveries. That probably added to the turgid feeling at time. I was so happy every time Robin Wright showed up at least she showed a little fire and spunk.

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

You know, I think you just put your finger on one of the major problems with the film. I hadn't been able to articulate it, but I have been thinking that Leto's character was monologuing all over the place. That points back to the anime cartoonishness lurking behind the curtain of this film, I think. It's far more black and white than the original story, and THAT is one of the key things that I find lacking here: the shades of grey between the heroes and villains.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.