Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Seeing Otis at the peak of his powers is mindblowing and the MG's backing everybody up in such a brilliant way is almost unbelievable. Just wish that more Eddie Floyd footage had survived and that Carla Thomas was included.

Norwegian jazz maestro Terje Rypdal is in the audience with his singer girlfriend Inger Lise. Among the other various hepcats and semi-long hairs is also the woman that became the Minister of culture at a (much) later point, Åse Kleveland. It is a tiny country after all :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Not a fan of the music but the voice was amazing

Horrible that she died so young. Addiction takes way too many way too young:(

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I always thought she was good, but I became a fan after her documentary and the fact that in it, Tony Bennett called her one of the all-time great jazz singers. Although I have a Tony record where he heaps praise on k.d. lang and I can't say I was ever a fan.

Major, major addiction and eating problems though. She wasn't built to last.

5. BurtThomasWard

There's only room for one Tom Waits in the world and his name is:

[​IMG]

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love the album and I loathe the mastering. Ain't it irritating when that happens?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Tom ain't no copycat, of course. Very good album by the Cap.

8. BurtThomasWard

I fixed that for you, man :D

Naw, kidding aside, I get why people like Waits. I've just become bored to death with his whole theatrical schtick over the last decade or so. But saying that he didn't lift liberal amounts (or more) outta the Cap's bag of tricks would be, eh, strange. And the rest he took from Howlin' Wolf, the garbage man and Louis Armstrong.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Don took a lot from Howlin' Wolf first. It's a natural thing to pick up things from your idols.

bzfgt likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I think it adds up to something original enough, though. But I feel the same as you. I think he has written some really good songs, but his schtick in general isn't really my bag.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  11. bzfgt

He certainly did.

12. BurtThomasWard

But of course. That is what musical traditions are for.

When you steal from someone who's style is so idiosyncratic as Don van V, you sooner or later end up looking a bit foolish (like in every television interview where your wear small hats, fidget like you have some sort of condition or smoke your cigarettes in 'interesting ways'). Because Beefheart may have taken vocal mannerisms from the Wolf but Trout Mask Replica doesn't much resemble "Moain at Midnight" or "Wand Dang Doodle". Rain Dogs on the other hand, pretty much is a total Captain rip-off with added junkyard instruments and klezmer accordion.

Then again Waits is like the Beatles. One must never ever say anything against such a holy cow or else! :D

Sorry, but I've grown to detest Waits. Not really sorry, tho. Sorry!

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Don Vliet's golden voice:

14. BurtThomasWard

He has. Even lots of them. The songs or the lyrics or even his aping after Beefy aren't what gets my goad, it is that tiny hat and the well-rehearsed eccentricities that after listening to the guy since '83 finally turned me into a h8er.

:sigh:

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

A thing of rare beauty :D

Then again he had his choirboy moments:

[​IMG]

wavethatflag, Rne and bzfgt like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Don was very versatile and he could embrace many genres. I love his role as "normal" vocalist too.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

test pressing of allman "Win Loose or Draw"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    budwhite and notesofachord like this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Darius Jones Trio: Man'ish Boy

Darius on alto saxophone
    Cooper-Moore on piano + diddly bow
    Rakaman Bob Moses on drums

Recorded in the studio in 2009

On AUM Fidelity

Wonderous early recording from the great altoist joined by two underground legendary musicians.

19. bzfgt

Funny they have a diddly bow on something called Man'ish Boy...one wants to say it should be called I'm a Man.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  20. bzfgt

Tonight I was listening to Collectable King Crimson. It was on my ipod. A couple minutes into "Dr. Diamond," it cuts to part of "Jack Straw" for 15 seconds or so (long enough for Bobby to sing "Now the die is shaken, now the die must fall/There ain't a winner in the game, he don't go home with all," anyway). My hope was that the file was somehow corrupt, and it wasn't my ipod malfunctioning and mixing things, but when I listened to it in itunes there is no Jack Straw. So, it is my ipod that has done this thing.

The rest of the album sounds fine. Still, it's jarring, and not a happy harbinger.

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I got tired of only having one album with Fred Anderson in AAC format so I ordered this one last week and it just arrived today; with Fred, Hamid, Jeff Parker, Harrison Bankhead & Josh Abrams I'm really excited to give it a play and I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Fred Anderson & Hamid Drake - From the River to the Ocean

[​IMG]

22. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Meghan Trainor's finale to her first hit album (Title), "Credit".

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Don't you worry, sometimes iPods do those things.

bzfgt likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

Someone complained about the loudness of this today, which is good because now I'm listening to it.
    [​IMG]
    Wilco, Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Listening to the very cool "I Am Not Willing" (with Syd Straw).

I saw the Golden Palominos in college in the 80s with Syd Straw and Matthew Sweet. Straw introduced Sweet as the "cute Palamino." They closed with "The Ocean" by Zeppelin. Yes!

Also in college, I saw Phish when they were, um, a college band. The only song I remember in the set they played was "Good Times, Bad Times" by Zeppelin. Yes!

Led Zeppelin. Yes!

OK, I'm done.

25. wavethatflag

A few years ago, I was listening to this album and had a revelation (hardly an original one, as it turns out) that he was creating his own music genre. I was astounded. Just blown away.