Some new televisions suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Litejazz53, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

I would be the first to admit I am indeed behind the curve on LED television technology, but might upgrade this year, so if there are some folks out there that could make some suggestions, who have had experience with some of the newer and not so newer sets, please jump in here!

It's amazing to me that there is still a great deal of 720P programming out here, which is all my old Samsung Plasma will do, however I would like to upgrade to a 1080P, 4K,Dolby Vision, HDR, or OLED set this year. I know considering the OLED or HDR will be a more expensive option, hopefully, there are some deals to be had as Christmas approaches?

I am trying my best to stay under $1,000.00 and would like to find a 60-65" LED if possible. I have a 52" right now so must move up to at least 60".

Here are a few I have found that might be a good choice, and if you have some input, please jump right in!

1. Samsung 4K Ultra HD, model UN65MU6300, 65" 2017 model, $996.00

2. LG 60UH7700 60" Ultra HD 4K, 2016 model, $1,096.00

3. LG 60UJ7700, 60" Ultra HD, 4K,2017 model, $902.27

4. LG 65UJ7700 4K, Ultra HD, 2017 model, $988.00

In regard to brands, I love Sony, but just cannot purchase another expensive Sony product, as they stop carrying parts so quickly, and I could NEVER deal with the Laredo Texas repair facility ever again in this lifetime . Don't want any Vizio at all, which really leaves LG and Samsung, which get the nod from most people, so will probably stick with one of the two. So, any good feedback is appreciated, would LOVE to find a great OLED or LED with High Dynamic Range, but I will be lucky to find that for under $1,000.00 in a 60 or 65" set. :crazy:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe extend it to $1.500.
    Just a thought.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Litejazz53

The raw truth is, I have really extended, stretched, and exausted the budget purchasing the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC and Memory Player, (audio priority) and I have not been able to sell the beautiful VPI modified Scout and the Parasound super DAC, it just sits here, so I'm really deep in the hole, hopefully something with happen by Christmas! In the meantime, if I do increase the spending limit to $1,500.00 what will that get me, what do you recommend? You know I was looking at these OLED televisions with Dolby, 4K and HDR and they don't ease up in price, but rather take a quantum JUMP, oh heck! So, if I move up to the $1,500 mark, what did you have in mind??

4. alexpop

Check out a few others and wait for January sales your fixed price should dictate what you choose

5. Litejazz53

I got all excited there for a moment, as I thought you had a very specific television in mind to recommend. I have read that the single most important picture enhancement lately has absolutely been the high dynamic range, and the 4K takes a back seat to HDR by a long shot, it has been mentioned that Sony has put the priority on HDR, including that technology on some smaller sets without the inclusion of 4K, it seems the increased pixel visual performance of HDR is more important than the increased number of pixels with 4K. I am absolutely a beginner when it comes to video performance, and look forward to some input from those of you that place a high priority on your video purchases!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. Litejazz53

Curved screens were very short lived, almost no one goes that route now, that lasted about one season and was dead. Most retailers are trying to clear the curved screens, telling customers it's better than buttered bread, you know how that goes!

7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Oh,I thought this post was about the shows on TV,because I would just say-BLOW IT ALL UP!...but since it's not I won't!!

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think when the Black Friday sales happen in about a month or so, you will see OLED 4K prices at least 10% lower than they are right now.

My advice would be to buy the best LG you can afford.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my mind played that trick on me as well...

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why LG?

11. Litejazz53

Go into a bit of detail, why do you like the LG better than the Samsung?

12. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

woody and Litejazz53 like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the panel consistency is better and I think the prices are better. I have heard arguments that the built-in speakers are better on the Samsungs, but I don't use them so I don't know or care.

I would look to the AVSForum and HDTest as being good sources of "pro" and "con" information, particularly with hard numbers on real-world sets.

SandAndGlass and LarryP like this.
  14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I wrote in another thread my travails in buying a new 4k panel, and I come down squarely in the Samsung camp, and the model you noted would be excellent (I own the Best Buy Black Friday version of this set in 55" size). There's very little HDR content out in the wild right now but it doesn't hurt to have it. That Samsung technically is an HDR set, but it isn't fully capable of displaying an HDR picture-you need a set with something called Wide Color Gamut which is usually found in much more expensive panels. To be honest, I don't think I'm missing anything at all-after significant tweaking I have the picture dialed in pretty well and I love it. The fact that the 65 incher is under a grand right now is amazing and I would take advantage of that. Now, if you could pinch some pennies and get an OLED-that's a world of difference.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  15. alexpop

Samsung have over 20% of the market sales now, LG 12%.

I am favouring LG.

Miss the days of Sony/Panasonic dominance though, just looked better built.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  16. Litejazz53

It appears prices are already moving a bit from just a few days ago.

Samsung 4K Ultra HD, model UN65MU6300, 65" 2017 model, $996.00 to $984 .00 Amazon is constantly changing.

Just for comparison sake, here is the:
    Samsung Electronics QN65Q9 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart QLED TV (2017 Model) $3,400.00, this set is a QLED, which I think is Samsung's super set, and they just go up from here, $3,500.00 VS $984.00. I should mention the two LG models look very nice as well, and do cost less than the Samsung, oh heck, what to do??? I do think I will hit the button probably on Black Friday, things probably will not get better than on that day. It would be nice if some folks have purchased the LG panels I referenced and can comment on those as well, the UJ7700 in either 60" or 65".:shrug:

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A 'QLED' is just an LCD + marketing. They are completely overpriced, designed to make you think they're playing in the same league as the LG OLED panels. They aren't. They may be (and are) good screens, but they ain't no OLEDs. If you're going to spend big-ish bucks, don't get an LCD (QLED), get a proper OLED.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a 2016 Samsung 65" curved screen 4K LED TV. It has high dynamic range.

I never watch commercial TV, I don't even have a set top box currently connected to the TV.

I only watch movies from disk and video's. The way these sets usually come from the factory, I find that the colors look garish and not at all natural looking. There are some factory presets, MOVIE, is one of them. I changed over to the movie setting and then preformed a couple of other fine adjustments and now, I am very impressed with the picture.

Yes, The OLED's have a far superior picture quality and a far more expensive price tag. I bought mine through my local audio chain's open box sale, during the summer, for under $1k.

For that price, I think it is a very impressive TV. Every one who has seen a movie on it, comments very positively. I was hoping that I could wait until the similar sized OLED's came down in price, because I never cared for the picture quality that I was seeing on the LED's. Their colors were so unnatural looking. But, once I figured out that I could make those adjustments, I find that the picture is now quite pleasing.

Besides the 4k, other new and improved features, like the HDR, make substantial differences in improving picture quality over sets that were only a few years older. There are more NIT's, better contrast, better blacks... I really don't have a clue about all of the different technologies behind this set, but, I'm not complaining.

My Oppo player and Emotiva processor are 1080i and not 4k capable. I have not yet seen any original 4k content on the screen. When I am ready to upgrade my processor and my player, I expect, then I will dabble in 4k source material. Original 4k source material has these other features encoded into the 4k file, so the 4k source file consists of more than just higher pixel density.

Most of my video collection is regular DVD's. I'm guessing that I have less than fifty Blu-ray disks. The number of DVD's are more than 10x the number of Blu-ray's. I don't have the TV hooked to the Internet, so streaming is not something that I wish to consider.

Our local used book store also carries records, CD's, DVD's and Blu-ray disks. Once a month, they hold a sale where every item in the store is $2/each. Every few months, I go in and buy an arm full of records and DVD's. I maintain a library of DVD's for our motel guests to borrow and watch.

When it comes to modern digitally shot movies, the picture quality of a regular DVD is far better then you would think, concerning the original source's resolution. But, the TV upscales the picture and it does look surprisingly good on the 65" curved screen.

With the necessary adjustments made, I feel that you would be completely happy with either a 60" or 65" Samsung TV, I don't think that you are going to beat the picture quality for under $1,000.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  19. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I have been doing a LOT of research into TVs and have finally settled on the LG OLED 55E6, original price approx £3,500, but now for around £1.800 and I am waiting for the New year price drop.
    Do NOT get a curved TV, this was just a fad.
    Why LG? Over the years I have always bought Samsung as their quality was amazing, but over the last two years or so they have slipped badly in the quality stakes and are no longer reliable, and their customer service is appalling, my last Samsung TV lasted just over a year before I had to fight a major battle to get it renewed.
    LG on the other hand have come on in leaps and bounds from a middle of the road manufacturer to the very best in quality and reliability.
    Check out this review......

Litejazz53 and Vidiot like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Actually I like my TV's curved screen.

I bought it for a different reason though.

My previous TV was a DLP rear projection (bought used for $200), and it was a 60" TV, sitting on a TV stand, that also houses some of the audio gear on the two lower shelves .

It sits in a corner on a diagonal the corner where the wall goes back 6' from the other corner.

This affords me the space to have equipment behind the TV and two different sets of tower speakers (switch selectable), on either side of the TV. At the time that I purchased the TV, there did not seem to be a 60" option available, either 55" or 65".

I figured that newer TV's have smaller boarders than TV's the 2006 era TV that it was replacing. So I figured, with that and the curved screen, I should be able to replace my previous TV with a 65" curved screen and still have enough room to retain the two different front main tower speakers, that I already had in place.

I was correct in my assumption, the curved screen TV, fit in place with perfection!

That is why I made the curved TV purchase, but I really like the picture. It does appear to increase the viewing angle. That would be more difficult to quantify, because I would need to live with the same TV, but with a flat screen, in order to make a educated comparison, with regard to the viewing angle.

Older large screen TV's had more restricted viewing angles than present day models do.

I have two sofas in the room, my guests sit on the one that is parallel to the front of the screen. I sit on a sofa that is in front of the south wall. The TV is to my direct left. At this angle, with older designs, the screen would appear really dim and less sharp, you just wouldn't want to do it, unless there was no other available options.

But, at this extreme angle, I can view the entire screen perfectly. While it is my opinion that the curved screen was in part, responsible for the superior viewing experience, it might be the same if it was a flat panel of today.

BTW... I do enjoy the novelty of 3D TV at home. It is a fun experience, when properly done. Look at John Cameron's Avatar, I saw the 4k theatrical release in RealD 3D and the home version is fun and entertaining to experience. Even without 3D, it still is an amazing movie to watch.

Malinky likes this.
  21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

LG OLED is way to go.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm curious, since I like ours and my mom's very much, why not? We also have had Samsung and liked that. TCL is the latest all around winner at I think it was Consumer Reports and then one of the big TV websites. I've been looking in stores and Costco recently, and the good news is there are many great looking TVs with significantly lower prices.

I did see an OLED and it was indeed BLACK. $2000 at Target and you get a $150 gift card. I doubt OLED will hit your price range even by New Years, that would be a drastic drop, and I think that TV was the same size you have now.

4k, HDR, blah blah-much of that not so available yet, but nice for future-proofing. But not necessarily much to do with the picture quality you see. The images today are just much better than a few years ago. On my Vizio, even old black and white Perry Mason reruns look better.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, once you get used to OLED blacks that are absolutely black, it's hard to go back to LCD.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Litejazz53

The OLED sets look wonderful, however there are some people experiencing lots of trouble, from vertical lines and other picture abnormalities. It seems people are very disappointed with LG's level of service or lack of service. This brings back terrible memories of me VS Sony, and their worse than terrible Laredo Texas repair facility. Some people really praise the LG OLED sets and some people are having extreme problems and terrible service and experiencing LG's poor service and response times, so this really gives me pause. The Sony thing really woke me up, so much so that when I see another company with the same complaints, I just freeze like a deer!:cry:

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not me. I know 7 other mastering engineers who have invested in the LG OLEDC7's and they're very happy with them. A major post facility in Hollywood bought 22 of them back in the spring and is using them as client monitors for all their network TV series, QC, and conforming. It's fair to say dozens of network shows are actually using the LG OLEDs as one of the reference displays for determining final color, contrast, and brightness (at least for standard dynamic range). But I have been told there is a certain percentage of units out there with inconsistent panels... but some of this, you just have to live with at this price range. A $20,000 display won't have these problems.

As I said above, HDTest in the UK gave the LG B7 praise as being the best HDR performer of the year:

The OLED televisions naturally had the upper hand in dark-scene HDR rendition, but among the three OLEDs, the LG B7 performed best with 1000-nit and 4000-nit HDR footage thanks to its reduced ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) restriction, not to mention dynamic tone-mapping that retained most specular highlight details. Even though we explained during the shootout that tone-mapping 4000-nit HDR content is a function of balancing brightness and highlight detail, and that there’s no standard for tone-mapping anyway, the attendees favoured LG’s retention of specular highlights over Sony’s approach of maintaining overall brightness but clipping some bright highlight detail.

Panasonic OLED Wins 2017 TV Shootout; LG B7 Voted Best for HDR

I have no doubt we'll have to toss this set in favor of something new in 2-3 years, but given that it only cost $1900, this is cheap as hell. I can recall paying $8000 for a Pioneer HD rear-projection set in 2001, and that set was probably about 1/5th as good as what we have right now with OLED.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.