Beatles track selection differences between UK & Capitol versions. & What about redoing them again ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The U.K. did get a Rarities comp two years before the US did, but in 1980 the US Rarities more than filled the gap, and the U.K. was still without the Ringo Love Me Do on LP. So for a brief 2-year period, the U.K. was ahead of the game. :)

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Also in the October 1962-January 1964 period

Culpa and NumberEight like this.
  3. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Every Beatles UK album Capitol meddled with became a compilation. No matter what title Capitol gave the album, for example the US 'Revolver' is a compilation. None of these 'Frankensteined' albums released by Capitol were as The Beatles intended.

I get it that The Beatles US fans grew up with the Capitol albums and love them for what they are. However we are all so much older now and must recognise the facts.

Capitol did manage a great job with 'Magical Mystery Tour', it should have been a proper album from the start.

Lyndon Perry and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, so who doesn't know that? LOL...

O Don Piano likes this.
  5. Michael

So, it can't be a favorite if it was on INTRODUCING THE BEATLES in Stereo on VJ RECORDS? ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE ALBUMS...of which I consider MEET THE BEATLES and INTRODUCING THE BEATLES a double ALBUM SEPARATED AT BIRTH...
    .nice try...better luck next time. : )

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

So you randomly approve of Capitol's "meddling" and anthologizing. when it suits your arbitrary 'needs'? But only when it suits 'you'. And then it becomes valid in your opinion?
    If the Capitol LP fans should recognize 'the facts' as YOU see them, why should you not grant fans of the US LPs and Capitol's selling and marketing of those LPs the same?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Sidewinder43 and Michael like this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same here.

8. Saint Johnny

Oh brother!! Until February of 1987 I'd venture to say that a vast majority of most 'Americans' didn't even know, or have any opinion whatsoever, that the UK albums differed in any appreciable way let alone describing the UKs as 'canon'. LOL

DeRosa and Michael like this.
  9. Saint Johnny

The only operative word here is 'Capitol'.
    It was on the Vee-Jay LP, that sold millions, so it was not particularly hard to find or otherwise 'unavailable'.

10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

If you mean by randomly approving of Capitol's meddling, my statement that they had made a good job of Magical Mystery Tour, well yes I do 'randomly approve'.

If you mean by randomly approving of Capitol's meddling, I disapprove of Capitol butchering (no pun intended) of the Beatles studio albums up to SPLHCB, then that is what I meant.

The only reason that Capitol turned the Beatles albums into compilations is, as you no doubt know, for financial gain.

I also stated that I get/understand that US fans loved the Capitol versions, but they were not as The Beatles intended the albums to be released. Would you not have preferred, in hindsight, that Capitol release the same (correct) versions as the UK?

The point of my post was that the US albums were in truth compilations. That's my opinion and you have yours.

I'm sorry I'm not granting Capitol's greed any positive recognition for what they did to those albums at the time. I do, as I have now stated three times, that yes, US fans love those albums. Some probably prefer those versions and that's fine by me. I mean no disrespect to fellow Beatles fans, I also enjoy the US versions, I own copies of them more than once but I file them under 'Compilations'. I hope you understand where Iam coming from, if not that's OK by me.

NumberEight and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Gee this thread looks familiar.

12. Grand_Ennui

So I can't think they're canon because the UK albums *are* what were originally intended and should be seen as such?

To me, it's no different than when a studio releases a DVD of a "director's cut" of a film: The director's cut would be the true "canon" for the film, as that's what he/she originally envisioned for their film... Just as the UK versions of The Beatles albums are what they originally intended them to be released as.

NumberEight likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Exactly!

14. Saint Johnny

Oh brother.
    Uhmmm 'Capitolism'?? Pun most definitely intended

Because I'm sure NO ONE, that was ever connected with the Beatles in any way shape or form, artistically or otherwise, was doing everything they did, to try to make the Beatles successful FOR FREE!!!!
    The Beatles themselves were writing songs, touring, recording, promoting, solely for 'fun, and 'kicks', and lets not forget 'the art'!!
    Or to paraphrase, a famous quote, they did it ALL just because it, 'was there'.

Michael likes this.
  15. Saint Johnny

I agree 100% that what Capitol did was to 'anthologize" what Beatle product was available to them "at the time". They are IN FACT compilations!
    It makes them NO LESS valid as 'Genuine Beatle Product' or 'ART' as you call it, if you will, than the UK LPs.

As I see it, the real point of your post was not to point that fact out, most everyone here would concede that.
    I have my opinion what the true point of your post was.
    I'll leave it to others to form their own opinions as well.

16. Saint Johnny

Canon? Canon? Isn't that a camera?
    To paraphrase William Shatner..."Get a life, the Beatles were just a 'pop band. Get Over it'.
    A very good!! Musically significant and adventurous, and innovative! Culturally earth shattering and taboo bending, norm breaking, and trend setting.
    But at the end of the day. The Beatles remain a Pop Band!!!
    And ALL their records, US/UK/EU from wherever, are VALID, and are records to be listened to and enjoyed.
    Not obsessed over, misinterpreted and worshiped over, the Beatles are NOT to ME, and should not be a religion, at least in my humble opinion!!:tiphat:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Michael likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Agreed, and for the record, though I like them, I'm far from a Beatles obsessive... I don't even care if "Carnival of Light" ever sees the light of day.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. Saint Johnny

:biglaugh:

19. Michael

MONEY is what they wanted...they told us in song and press. The Capitol ,Vee Jay albums made them much money!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  20. Michael

don't they all when it comes to the love of The Beatles on Capitol...LOL.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Given the vinyl boom, It's actually incredibly surprising to me the Capitol LPs haven't yet been reissued,
    along with a bunch of the singles. Especially the Yesterday and Today butcher cover.
    Would be like printing cash money as a limited edition.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Done in 2015, if I remember correctly.

23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

I believe the UK versions by & large are far superior to the Capitol versions. Most informed people probably do.

But some people have sentimental attachments to the Capitol versions, or have quirky tastes & just think they're better.

Capitol did do two things however which improved the discography. Or potentially could/can.

One they gave fans 16 studio albums to hear, instead of just 12. But in hindsight we can easily see how they botched it by ravaging the content of some of the UK albums, which isin't/wasn't really necessary. There were non LP songs & ( at that time ) unreleased outtakes available.

The other thing they did is improve Magical Mystery Tour by recreating it as album instead of an EP set. This was the age of the *album. Along with Brian Wilson, Dylan etal, the Beatles helped create that era of the album. Nowhere have I ever read it was a golden age of double EPs.

Of course the Beatles intent is & was important to me. Doesn't stop me from skipping Yoko tracks on John & Yoko albums though. Who cares what Capitols reasoning was, if it was just more product ie: more albums = more money.

Mystery Tour as an album is more enjoyable as a listen, to me anyway as a whole album. Record companies can get things right, however rarely

A Beatles 2nd album & a Beatles Yesterday & Today are good ideas too. But they blew it on excecution. Decimating-reducing the UK albums was unnecessary to get a few extra albums. Just use the singles, B sides, quality outtakes instead.

That was kind of the intended point of this thread. Hey if we revisit some of those ideas, we could redo it, get a few extra compilation albums-that flow like studio albums, without removing anything ( nearly ) from the 12 canon UK albums.

In certain phases or years within the time frame 1961-69, you can't get an "extra" album.. it depends how you reassign the tracks, which choices you make. But it's a lot more fun to try & put a 65-66 or extra 63 or early 68, "extra" album together, than listening to disjointed Past Masters or gutted albums like the USA Revolver.

It may never be redone or corrected officially by the record company, but as a fan & as a mental excersise, it's great to fix some of the mistakes they never bothered correcting.

Michael likes this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Don't see it on discogs, never seen a real copy for sale, do you mean bootlegs?

The Beatles - Yesterday And Today

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.