Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@MadCajun table looks great, but I'm more curious about that headshell :) is that the ortofon PNP mount? Looks great, would love to hear your thoughts. I'm assuming you need to use the auxiliary weight as well. With it setup at 52mm length from back of headshell to stylus it seems a perfect match for the technics arm, maybe when I upgrade my blue I'll look at it for my GR.

2. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Yes, it's the PnP setup and I did have to use the extra counter weight. It was a snap to setup and though I only have about 10 hours on it, it sounds great. I'm not sure about others, but after I went through the setup process, I checked the VTF using a Shure gauge and it was just about dead on. I did have to move the counter-weight towards the headshell a bit, but that could've been due to me not making sure I turned the weight and the scale as one as much as I should have.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! I'll probably take the plunge when I upgrade to the bronze.

4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, I like that all-in-one. You should also check out the KAB Pro S 30 or 40. They’re cheaper and sound better to my ears than the 2M series (they use the OM stylus). And you don’t need to use an auxiliary weight on the tonearm.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

These are OM needles on Pro S carts, right? Would you go for a concorde or a headshell version? Is the concorde aligned as it gets or it's better to choose the headshell variant?

6. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I like the Concord. I have both the 30 and 40 stylus and both sound great. Switched to MC tho.

snorker likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Is this the one?

[​IMG]

If so, the OM40 stylus version of that is very reasonably priced! I love the clean integrated look as well.

PhilBiker, johnny q and snorker like this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The Concorde sounds better for some reason, even though it’s essentially the same. Easier setup too. Literally plug and play. There’s no alignment at all.

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That’s it. With the 40 stylus it’s really nice. No inner groove distortion at all. Much better than the 2M Bronze I had, which I thought sounded grainier and didn’t track as well.

PhilBiker and johnny q like this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yeah, but I'm "worried" if the concorde design is as precise as the headshell design when protractor-ed?

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Don’t worry about that. It’s precisely 52mm, per the Technics alignment specifications.

Robert C and recstar24 like this.
  12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That was going to be my next question, thanks! I would argue that with it being one solid integrated piece, the alignment will be virtually perfect (at least the stock 52mm that technics recommends)

snorker likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

With or without a rubber washer? Should one be used or not with concordes, in general?
    Rubber Ring for Concorde

14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, it comes with one. It should always be used with the Technics arm.

15. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

Sometimes I need to chuckle about audio-purists (myself included) to balance and measure everything according to specifications. As a DJ 15 years ago. I would extend the Technics headshell with two layers of cardboard or plastic. Mount the cart and needle as far as possible to the front. This would give mad stability no matter how big the sound was next to your setup.

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You sure? I can't recall if my concordes came with washers and can't find a photo online that includes them.

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

My friends and I had a little DJ crew in high school, we did birthday parties, house parties, little gatherings here and there. We spun a pair of 1200's with a nice vestax mixer and pretended we were like DJ qbert and the invisibl skratch piklz. We would put coins on top of the headshell to keep the thing from skipping when scratching and beat juggling records :)

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, I have one. I got mine from KAB and it most definitely had the washer.

I needed one once for an Ortofon headshell and I emailed Ortofon and they actually sent me a few for free.

19. I have always been of the opinion that the Concorde+OM40 stylus is the very best cart for the previous incarnation of the SL-1200. However, do you think that the SL-1200G/GAE/GR are deserving of something a little more “upmarket,” like an MC cart?

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I run an Ortofon Jubilee on my Modded 1200 so, yes, absolutely on the G/GAE/GR!

displayname likes this.
  21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, but it depends what you want to spend and what sound you like. I have that Concorde/40 and a Benz Micro Wood SL for my SL-1200G.

Billy Budapest and Plinko like this.
  22. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

I contacted KAB last week regarding a damper for the 1200/1210GR. He is still waiting for the tone arm to arrive, couldn't give me a date on its release but it will be engineered, tested and it will be for sale at some point.

Not that my 1210GR sounds bad, as it does not! But from what people say about the damper, I am excited!

snorker likes this.
  23. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I can't believe this thread is still going. It seems like most of the last posts should be a separate thread to allow others to participate because the real topic is not in the heading.

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Update:

Today, my dealer informed me that my SL-1200G will be shipping to him by the end of next week. So if all goes to plan I should receive that beauty around Halloween--give or take a day or two. :goodie:

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Why is it so hard to get one of these in USA? Plenty sellers that will supply in days with a click online (UK).

recstar24 and aroney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.