Beatles track selection differences between UK & Capitol versions. & What about redoing them again ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Thanks for the complete list!
    I still think “Hey Jude” LP, comp though it is, belongs on the original Capitol canon.
    Would you Consider “Let It Be”, though it was put together by Apple, is a United Artists/ABKCO release?

2. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

No thanks.

3. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

:wave: Hi! I'm sentimental, uninformed, and have quirky tastes.

I like the far inferior Capitol versions better. I still wish that they had released the Capitol Capitol Albums V3. As I've mentioned in another thread on this topic, I've taken all the Capitol Albums CDs (plus a boot of Y&T) and put them in the American Albums box set mini lps. I have Japanese mini lps of the titles not included in that set. Once I took out the booklet and The Beatles Story, everything fit nicely in the box. All I need now is someone to make a correct American Let It Be mini lp gatefold cover and I am set.

I understand why many like the UK versions and feel they are the only 'correct and authorized' versions. Good for you. I have had them, listened to them, and like what I have better.

4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Threads like these remind me of this...

[​IMG]

389 Tripower, vinnie and Saint Johnny like this.
  5. tages

tages Senior Member

There are 13 official UK Beatles LPs, not 12. Perhaps you are forgetting this one, essential at the time for including MANY non-LP tracks....

[​IMG]

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

You like the content better ? Or the sonics-added EQ-echo or the packaging or what exactly ?

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Nicely put!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  9. NumberEight

In their UK releases - at least through 1968 - the Beatles tried to give good value for money. Capitol didn’t.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My turn...:confused::rolleyes::blah:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  11. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Oh please!!! Get over IT!!

If Parlaphone wanted to give 'good value for the money' they would have sold all their UK records as 'buy one, get one free'!!:biglaugh:

Those NASTY nasty YANKs, just taking advantage of those poor naive Beatles and all their artistic intentions and pretensions.
    If only those greedy YANK record execs could see that those poor naive, yet artistically pure, Beatles were not merely POP musicians but were in fact GODS!
    That said greedy execs were keeping from Holy Communion with their heroes by charging too much money, for too many crappy duophoniced(??) compilations.
    And that the Beatles poor deluded US fans who would just buy any old crap some monopolisticly greedy, nasty multinational (oh wait, you mean EMI UK actually already owned the greedy, nasty malevolent, American subsidiary Capitol?) Hmm..
    Only out to ruin the whole world, that those artistically honest, yet quite god-like Beatles were desperately trying to create.

If only those poor US fans had known PRIOR to 1987 that the UK LPs were in fact superior in everyway there'd be no need in 2017 for SHF member to complain about anything!!:angel::angel:

Or at least, ONE LESS thing....
    :wave:

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The biggest Capitol issue for me.
    As for state side albums at least VJ's Introducing The Beatles allowed American fans to know of and to own Misery and There's a Place and by 73 From Me To You was on the Red Album.

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Dave Dexter and it was a great decision for the vibe created with I've Just Seen A Face and It's Only Love added.
    Of course I feel Wait which was also from the Help! sessions, could have been replaced by Nowhere Man.

14. NumberEight

I don't think you're listening.

15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Probably like many other USA Beatles fans. When I first heard the UK versions, I thought Dave Dexter & the Capitol staff that created these "American" versions of Beatles albums were jerks. That they destroyed the early British albums soley to create more product.

While I still disagree with Dexter & the Capitol staff's decisions, to so liberally shorten & remove tracks to create more albums. I have come to realize there was a lot of artistic thought that went into it, not simply creating more product.

As someone said a couple posts back, he likes the USA Rubber Soul, because the use of & placement of I've Just Seen A Face & It's Only Iove, enhanced Rubber Soul in his opinion. I would think on some level, part of their thinking was to improve the albums, & tailor them, for what they thought were American tastes at the time. In addition to creating additional new albums to market.

Yesterday & Today is actually really good & plays & feels like a new album, if you don't know any better. But why would they choose to remove 3 of the 5 Lennon Revolver tracks ? Greatly reducing the impact of that album for the fan. Why not use Paperback Writer, Rain, I'm Down & Yes It Is ? Or something like that ?

I'm sure it had to be less obvious in 1966. How easily they could have preserved the integrity of Revolver & still ended up with a similar type of Yesterday & Today album. Get a 2nd studio LP for 1966, & preserve Revolver's integrity. They must have really felt the "Dexter" tracklist was a stroke of brilliance or something.

The other horrible thing that comes to mind for me is the Hey Jude-Beatles Again comp album. Could've played like a "new" studio album. But in one fell swoop, they damaged The Let It Be album badly, by removing a much needed good Lennon song "Don't let me down" & inserting an A/B single from 1964 !!! With songs mostly from 68-69.

Why not use Inner Light, Not Guilty, Teddy Boy, You know my name. The alternate Ob La Di Ob La Da or whatever they could. A couple tracks from the later discography from 68-69 that would have matched the other tracks, & given the impression of a new album. Instead of just random seeming tracks, spanning 64-69, which stylistically is too long of a spread to sound like anything but a weird compilation. That seems disjointed. I realize Allen Klein was behind this one & probably not Dave Dexter. But nearly 50 years later we're stuck with these incongrueties & they're never going to correct it. They could fix these tracklists & eventually dump past masters & the clunky 4 original song Yellow Submarine. But they just never do. It would streamline the discography. Keep the good ideas & fix the bad ones.

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, as that was a simultaneous worldwide release of new [sic!] material; Hey Jude was a local compilation (though later issued in other countries).

17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

VJ isn't Capitol. Better luck next time.

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

How many millions exactly?

19. Saint Johnny

And your point is? What exactly?

And to people who constantly mention 'Hey Jude' as a Dave Dexter/Capitol hatchet job.

You're so blinded by your biases, you don't even realize HJ was an Apple, inside job. Capitol had nothing to do with compiling US Beatle LPs post contract negotiations sometime around 1967-68
    Try reading and learning the actual history and the real reasons certain records were produced/released as they were, instead of blindly repeating the old myths that you've heard about for 40 years.

And who needs luck?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

First, evasion, then invention, then diversion. I get it, you have no interest in facts. Got it.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  21. Saint Johnny

Oh please. What are 'the facts'? Do tell.

22. Saint Johnny

I'll be your mirror.

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Dave Dexter had nothing to do with either Yesterday and Today or Revolver, they were done by Bill Miller.
    The Inner Light, yes, I'm Down, yes, but not unreleased tracks. Don't Let Me Down fits in real well on Hey Jude, a pity it was included though, it does harm Let It Be. And why not Get Back, if Don't Let Me Down?
    Allen Klein was behind it but it was compiled for Apple by ABKCO's Allan Steckler. Most original copies of Hey Jude (also The Beatles Again) have 'mfd by Apple records' on the label.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The number of albums sold is a fact, I'd like to know the details. I have asked how many millions Introducing The Beatles sold. You claimed 'millions'. How many?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.