Bowie’s lodger: 2017 tony Visconti remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by malco49, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

If you're in the UK, you can buy the tracks individually (it's disc 7.) They're even 24/96!

A New Career In A New Town (1977 - 1982) | David Bowie

That was Bowie and Visconti's take on it as well, IIRC, hence Bowie's giving the thumbs up on the remix before his passing.

I really enjoy the remix. It's definitely superior in terms of pure sonics. That said, I miss the original backing vocals in African Night Flight just a little bit.

2. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

They Call Me M likes this.
  3. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Lucky you. I've been searching every now and then and I've yet to see anyone put the Lodger remix up on eBay. Did you use some super secret search terms?

The vinyl box just arrived on my doorstep, but I'm returning it as at this point it sounds like I'm pretty much paying for a $200 remix and a copy of Low...

4. Heroes in the boxed set doesn't sound signciantly better to me. Add in the drop off in volume and you have a reissue that is a mess.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  5. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I had never listened to Lodger until Friday (that is it's own story). I put on the original first. Mind blown for obvious reasons. I've been playing the original all weekend. Finally put on Remix today and am listening now. Very enjoyable. I can see why people would like this over the original master. I can't make a statement yet.

Grab the lossy files from iTunes for $10. Why not?

Nikitka, sound chaser and jsayers like this.
  6. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Too bad. All versions of 'Heroes' that I've heard sound like I have earplugs in. I wind up EQ'ing it to sound better.

They Call Me M likes this.
  7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

They do indeed. They review the TV remix of Lodger as a standalone album, available on LP, CD and as a download. Nothing in the review that mentions the box set at all or states that this is the only place that this remix will be available. It's probably a mistake but an uncharacteristic one for Mojo in my opinion...

LoveYourLife, bob60 and malco49 like this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Downloaded to my phone on Apple Music along with The Gouster. I like it -Gouster, less so.

9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i know right! i was getting excited as i thought it might be available as a stand alone release.i would be interested in lodger and low but not much else from that box.not crazy about the live albums from that era and the album heroes never quite did it for me for some reason.

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

It's not a bad mix, and there are a few changes that I like. (For example the count-in to "Boys Keep Swinging" - the drums are processed differently so that they hit with a bit more "oomph" rather than a highly compressed "thwak." You can also clearly hear the count off being shouted in the background, which is a welcome detail). However a lot of the eccentricities I love about the original mix have been toned down a touch. (Once again using "Boys Keep Swinging" as an example, as soon as the song begins, the mix favors the bass over that crazy whirring electronic noise that was up much higher in the original mix - I like that bass sound, but the rest of the mix feels more conventional now.) Worth hearing, but I'll probably listen to the original mix going forward.

11. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I'm still getting used to the new mix, although a few tracks have grabbed me already, specifically "Red Money". Totally transformed and improved now. I'm struggling mightily with "Boys Keep Swinging" and "Red Sails", but still digesting it.

When I first heard Lodger 20 years ago, I was struck by how much DB sounds like David Byrne in the opening of "D.J." - almost a parody. The connection made sense, as Bowie's collaborator Brian Eno was working on Lodger at the same time he was working on the Talking Heads' Fear of Music. Well, the remix has reminded me of this connection, and underscored it. In terms of sonics, the remixed Lodger sounds a lot more like Fear of Music than it ever did before. "Red Money" is not only improved in this new remix, but sounds a lot like "Drugs", which closes out Fear of Music. And at least a few of the Lodger tracks aren't hard to imagine as part of Fear of Music (the Talking Heads' greatest LP, I think) if David Byrne had handled the vocal (looking at you, "African Night Flight", or "Repetition").

surfling and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

interesting. never thought about an eno / talking heads connection, but now that you mention it, it indeed does make sense!

pobbard likes this.
  13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

While Parlophone/DBinc recently worked like crazy to de-synchronize (!) the official Lodger music videos and upload as part of the ANCIANT campaign, now here's Nacho's Look Back In Anger synced with the new TV 2017 remix.

conjotter, PDK and pobbard like this.
  14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Loving this remix. It's got swagger, it's got detail - it sounds finished (finally). I was never a fan of the original. It was a record I'd return to once every few years to check if I'd missed something. I was always left underwealmed. Then I'd hear Look Back In Anger, Red Sails or Fantastic Voyage in their live incarnations and wonder why on earth they didn't 't sound as good on the record. On this new remix the songs sound as if they've been given the care and attention they always deserved. Yes, Visconti may have gone overboard with the echo on certain vocal passages, but we finally get some light and shade in the tunes and in the performances. I mean, what a rhythm section! What a lead guitar player! Oh, and the singer's not bad either....

15. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

Someone called Visconti a ***** on a facebook group last night over the Lodger remix. Visconti replied with a ******

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

The Tony Visconti mix is awesome and will hopefully bring in a whole new generation of fans. Long Live...

17. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

are all tracks on the remix as overcompressed as Fantastic Voyage?

i never thought the original mix sounded bad, just very dry and intimate. how is this amped-up remix better?

Max Florian likes this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love Lodger. I have the vinyl box but still haven't played the remix LP. Must get around to that.

19. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Is it overcompressed? It sounds really good to me. Finally I'm able to actually enjoy Lodger.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  20. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

there's no depth to it. it's all foreground. the drums are the worst offender. it sounds like it could have been better, but it just doesn't gel for me. it just clashes.
    also, has the 2017 remaster of the original mix been bass-boosted? if this video is any indication then it has. still, listen to the way the instruments don't just sit on top of each other but actually complement one another in a natural way.

here's a nice comparison video:

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love this remix, in spite of not being entirely fond of the way David's voice was treated with reverb on "Fantastic Voyage". But lots of buried details in the original are bring to the front in the remix, and tastefully. I consider it essential for any Bowie fan.

Jet Age Eric, Echoes Myron and Solace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.