Murder On The Orient Express 70mm Screenings coming soon...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mdm08033, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member Thread Starter

"Murder on the Orient Express" in the splendour of 7OMM

North America and Canada 70mm release Cinemas
    • New York
    • Los Angeles

Europe 70mm release Cinemas - 13 cinemas
    Denmark, 23.11.2017

Imperial Bio, Copenhagen

England, 03.11.2017

• Pictureville, Bradford[​IMG]
    • Odeon Leicester Sq, London[​IMG]

France

Germany, 09.11.2017

Schauburg Cinerama, Karlsruhe
    • Savoy, Hamburg,
    • Zoo Palast, Berlin
    • ASTOR Grand Cinema, Hannover
    • Lichtburg, Essen (70mm Preview 8. November)

Italy, 29 November
    Arcadia Cinema, Melzo-Milan

Ireland,

Holland,

Norway, 20 November
    • Cinemateket, Oslo

Scotland,

Spain,

Sweden, 24.11.2017

• Filmstaden Bergakungen, Göteborg
    • Rigoletto, Stockholm
    • Royal, Malmø

Australia

Brisbane

• Palace Centro

Melbourne, 09.11.2017
    The Sun Theater, Yarraville

Sydney
    • The Ritz Cinema, Randwick

head_unit likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw the preview before Blade Runner. Looks good.

Not sure any theaters near me have 70mm.

3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Hope the list of venues expands considerably to many of the places that screened DUNKIRK. The theater I saw both DUNKIRK and THE HATEFUL EIGHT in 70 at had top-notch presentation standards, and I could really get used to 70mm screenings there becoming a once-in-a-while thing, if not exactly a semi-regular one.

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How was the thing FILMED? Because for instance, if it was all done by video camera, what is the point of 70 MM? Is that like taking an all-digital Pro Tools recording and pressing to vinyl, because it will somehow sound better due to euphonious distortion? If it was filmed to film, that would be authentic, otherwise it would be a gimmick. Frankly when I first saw digital cinema I reveled in the LACK of judder and flicker and dirt and scratches.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The butler did it.

6. mdm08033

No gimmicks here. Director and star Kenneth Branagh shot 65mm, the same as his epic Hamlet. I took the kids to see projected on film during the annual See It Big 70mm series at the Museum Of The Moving Image.

The large film format folks at in70mm.com only track films shot on film.

head_unit likes this.
  7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I actually thought this was about the Sidney Lumet film from '74.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't see the appeal of this, if you've seen the '74. But I guess there might be enough people out there (over 18) who haven't seen it, and have no idea who Christie was.

9. mdm08033

Sorry about that. I just checked, according to IMDB the 1974 version was shot on 35mm and cropped to 1.66:1

10. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I remember being mildly excited when reading about this last year and thinking it would be great to see an intelligent 70mm Branagh version of Murder though due to the 1974 masterpiece it would be unnecessary.

The trailer looks like a Ritchie Sherlock Holmes sequel so due to the massive CG action sequences I don't know why they shot 70mm or chose to adapt Orient Express at all.

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Um, so why is it projected in 70 mm? Or why is it not filmed in 70 mm? I recall there was another movie like that, I'm curious how that circumstance comes about.

12. Dave Garrett

The negative for 70mm film prints is 65mm wide. You shoot in 65 and print to 70. The extra 5mm for release prints dates back to when large-format films had 6-track magnetic sound - it was originally for the four mag stripes that held the sound tracks.

13. Dave Garrett

Ha! Me too, I was thinking this must be a new 35mm blowup to 70.

head_unit likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Anyone else not s big fan of that film? I always thought it was kind of cheesy. The big ensemble cast up to that time was being reserved for the likes of “The Towering Inferno” and that level of film. Admittedly, at that age, All I really cared about seeing was Jacqueline Bisset. :p

Solaris likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I liked it! :shrug:

Murder On The Orient Express (1974)

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The AFI in Silver Spring MD has 70mm, methinks - would go there for this if they were to get it...

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I just got back from seeing the new one at a regular screening. I saw the 1974 version a very long time ago and only remember bits and pieces and I never read the novel. This new one is "based on" the novel. So, I don't know what changes were made that differ from the novel or the 1974 movie.

Anyway, great cast and some really good acting. Kenneth Branagh was great as Poirot and I thought he did a great job directing, contrary to some of the reviews I read.

They set it up for a sequel with Death On The Nile. So, my guess is that if this movie brings in some money, Death On The Nile will be next.

enro99 and head_unit like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I totally don't get the love for film projection. Give me a 4K, or even 2K digital projection any day of the week.

The Hermit and head_unit like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Old cast was better.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I never saw the '74 film nor read the book, so it was all new to me.

Seems like ensemble casts sometimes lead to jokey and rather self-congratulatory movies, but this didn't have that tone.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw it tonight. Enjoyable, old-fashioned entertainment. Peroit's mustache (performed via motion capture by Andy Sirkus) will probably get an Oscar nomination.

Solaris, Tanx and enro99 like this.
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Saw it and enjoyed it very much, as even did my 16-year-old son. A nice counterpoint to all the bang-bang films flogged at the multiplex. You can nitpick some things about it (some questionable CGI; why only in most scenes in obviously cold weather there's no breath mist) but I'm not sorry I spent money to see (unlike I suspect I will if I go see Justice League in the theater). I knew the solution from years back but that didn't spoil my enjoyment.

John K.

24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I remember the old film, didn't realize they had remade it, let alone in high grade film.
    We did have the good fortune of traveling on the train, from Paris late one evening, dinner at midnight, black tie, cigars and cognac in the smoking lounge thereafter, and a quiet dawn looking at the Swiss alps, en route to Venice by mid-day the next. The cars are beautiful, inlaid wood, Lalique glass, it was all from a lost world of civility and elegant machine age technology. I remember being amazed at the quality of the food they cranked out of a tiny galley kitchen.

25. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Having watched 35mm projections all my life until my first taste of a digital screening in late 2013 (my theatrical viewing of The Dark Knight Rises in July 2012 may or may not have been digital, so I can't count that), all I can say is the latter looked noticeably better... am I missing something? I understand some directors' refusal to go digital on shooting their movies, but digital projection is a whole other matter entirely... a clean, crisp, vibrant image without the dirt, scratches, and wobbles of film projection, not all new technology is an affront to filmic purity.

And besides, I'm betting those same directors all watch films at home on Blu-Ray (I know for a fact that Chris Nolan does, he said it himself)... isn't that a form of digital presentation, so why the objection to digital in theatrical showings?

Sorry, rant over, we return to the previously scheduled topic, already in progress...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.