Bowie Lead Guitarists: Who's Your Fave?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Mick is the only one on that list I ever met and he called me an a**hole. Had to pick him!

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ronson. He's the "best fit", and also did a bunch of other things for Bowie's music like arrangements and strings. Very talented guy he was.

Tsomi likes this.
  3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I concur. Fripp is mindblowing on Scary Monsters :)

BlueSpeedway and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Michael Picasso for me too...

5. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

He is stellar on STATIONTOSTATION

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That would make Earl Slick otherworldly

7. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Robert Fripp for me. He's not on a massive amount of material but what he does play on Bowie tracks is so good he gets my vote.

BlueSpeedway and warewolf95 like this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I feel that Bowie always had the right Lead Guitarist for the album. He had so many great band members.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Mick Ronson!!!

His stellar playing on The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars alone seals the deal for me!

Why?
    With such incredible tracks as:
    Hang Onto Yourself
    Ziggy Stardust
    Suffragette City

...which are chock full of slashing crunching guitar riffs, courtesy of Mick!

Also one of the best "sequencing of 3 rock songs", anywhere, any album!!!

Honorable Mention:
    Starman, Moonage Daydream, Star, and It Ain't Easy, are close follow ups, with great guitar lines.

It's a perfect album showcasing Ronson's expertise!

thxphotog likes this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Slick covers ALL the bases so he gets my vote

11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

For me, the real question is, "After Ronson and Fripp, who's your favorite?"

Answer: Earl Slick

moodyxadi, BlueSpeedway and sekaer like this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I agree that this have been fascinating, given that they were very much contemporaries. My impression though, based on years of reading Bills message board and other writings, is that Bill has a bit of animosity toward DB, like maybe he didn't get credit for having some influence on some of David's artistic directions; they definitely have circled the same territories at one time or another. Again, just my impression. He never comes out and says anything overt and he has written complimentary things about Bowie as well, but Bill can definitely be a little prickly and I wonder if that may be a reason they never hooked up.

My fave Bowie Guitarist is Reeves. The work he did across those 90's albums is stellar.

And Reeves DID do an album with Bill and it's a corker.
    [​IMG]

strummer101 and Ben Adams like this.
  13. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Bowie always had great musicians in my opinion. Have to go with Mick on this one.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Ronson is an obvious choice.

But I went with Reeves. I think a lot of those mentioned made great, and significant contributions to the music. But Reeves, at some level, picked Bowie up and helped him get back to creative ways. Bowie was a leader some many times, but he was also human. When he needed a hand, Reeves was there. He also has a more contemporary approach, imo.

15. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Favourite - Mick
    Wish Bowie had never met him - Gabrels, a tasteless oaf who I was glad to see the back of.

16. Indeed although I always thought that Carlos was a better rhythm player than lead or soloist but he is a top notch songwriter. His riff for "Fame" created a great collaborative vehicle for Bowie, Lennon and Carlos

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

For me it's a three way:

Mick Ronson
    Earl Slick
    Reeves Gabrels

18. Just curious-why?

19. I always found it fascinating that Ian Hunter worked with two of Bowie's favorite guitarists--Mick and Earle Slick. I kind of wish that Bowie had worked with Hunter n a couple of other projects as well as producer.

20. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Voted Earl Slick. The question was "who's your fave?" and something about Slick's light touch on those smooth hybrid soul numbers has always spoken to me. But Ronson would be "best" or "greatest" or "most popular" "Most influential" etc.

sekaer and trumpet sounds like this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I don't understand why you want to make everyone who's not Mick Ronson feel bad.

thxphotog and Andy Smith like this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

^^In a nutshell.^^

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. agn

agn Forum Resident

Can't pick just one. There are so many great ones. My faves are Earl Slick (he kicks ass on so many songs.. especially Stay), Robert Fripp (Heroes nuff said), Adrian Belew!!! and of course Mick Ronson!

Bowie Fett likes this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

You really want me to choose between Ronson, Fripp, Belew, Vaughan, and Gabrels? Sorry. Can't do it.

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Tough. Ronson. Fripp. Belew...but Earl Slick was the most versatile. And he played on most of my favorite Bowie tunes.

sekaer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.