Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Clearly you’re not from the Detroit area. Lots of Seger played in that neck of the woods.

budwhite likes this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I know the songs. I don't know a lot about him. I have five Seger albums, including two live and a greatest hits. He was on the radio all the time when I was growing up.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

borrowed both of those from my local library, in addition to some of his others releases. I will give it a listen.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Disc 1. This was my birthday present from my trip to Amoeba Hollywood last month. Still got a few Miles Box sets that are waiting to be opened after I make it through this one.

[​IMG]

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This was so nice I had to play it twice. I would do it thrice but I really need to get some shuteye despite my better judgement telling me to keep listening.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In my middle age I have gravitated toward Red, but overall in terms of total KC listening the album I've gone to most often has been Starless and Bible Black by a pretty decent amount. Still my favorite if pressed

BurtThomasWard and bzfgt like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

September BD?

Erik B. likes this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Amazing album.

9. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

A quite diverse morning so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, Dahabenzapple and adamos like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Dark Magus might be the only pre-post-retirement live Miles album I don't have yet (meaning by release date that is, there are probably quite a few that have been more recently released that I don't have, e.g. most of the Bootleg Series), somehow it managed to slip through the cracks. After looking at the Bootleg series a little more in detail following your posts the other day, I realize that I probably need the live ones more than I had initially thought (I mean, everyone need could always use a little more 2nd and Lost Quintet in their lives, right?).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    BurtThomasWard and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. BurtThomasWard

Outrageous!!! :eek:

It is rather great, you see. Some of his funkiest stuff and the guitar is really a major part of the music here.

dzhason likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's really good, you won't regret getting it.

dzhason likes this.
  13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Martin Kuchen Trio: A Night in Europe

With Johan Berthling on double bass & Steve Noble on drums

On No Business records

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

CSNY 1974. I like the blu-ray set. But man, Stills vocals is the worst

[​IMG]

adamos, Crispy Rob and BurtThomasWard like this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

:D:D:D

16. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

It's not like I haven't heard a gazillon 'Mats live tracks and bootlegs the last quarter of a century. And not one of them coulda made me anticipate the rush of hearing this. I mean, I almost didn't bother ordering this one until after the bills left in the wake of Santa and that other bearded fella had been paid off...

SHAME ON ME! Because this is one wild ride. ONE! WILD!! RIDE!!! And I'll have to tell you this right off the bat: the supposedly worst live act in the history of music (on a bad night) was (ir)responsible for such a huge amount of energy, such outright commitment this night in glamorous Hoboken to the anarchic, free-flowing spirit of what rock'n'roll is supposed to be, that you can all stop crying over dead men now and just join the Jørnis. Bloodcurling screams, out of tune guitars and bum notes a gøgø: it just does not matter when there is fun to be had in the company of little gods.

Whether it is cheerfully slaughtering mothballed sacred cash cows like the Beetlz or KIZZ or injecting their own song with a dose of electricity that is nowhere to be found on any of their fantastic studio albums, this here platter is a monster.

A GODDAMN MONSTER, I TELLS YA!

11/10.

(Predicted likes: 2)

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Very good show with a great mix.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

I'm getting this soon. Sorry Ma and Stink are great early records. I can't wait to hear these tunes played live at the great hole in the wall called Maxwells.

Only time I was there was 1992 or 93 to see Giant Sand as a trio with Howe Gelb, Joey Burns & John Convertino. Now that was a delerious mess of a show. As great as they were with some focus they coulda been way more than that. The record released right before that show (Center of the Universe) was and is a stunner. Too bad they had no sense to actually play more than one thing from the record. They came on way past time and played shorter than they should have. Especially with that great drummer and the amazing material from the previous 4-5 albums, they could have played a strong 90 minute set but alas they had no sense...

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

If hard pressed - I would say that this is my favorite release of his. Great production, too boot.

dzhason and Dahabenzapple like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

Well, I guess that goes at least doubly for Westy & the Minnesota 3 ;)

Giant Sand is great, BTW.

EDIT: the earliest stuff is played with a really surprising amount of precision. "Otto", "I'm in Trouble" and "Takin A Ride" in particular ar all fiery and totally on the money. I was going to write that first time 'round, but I'm just so giddy with utter delight because of this album that what's left of the mind is somewhere crumbling on the floor.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

Indeed. I've had this show as a (some sort of footwear) for many a moon, but it never hit me like this before.

budwhite likes this.
  22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Been on a Can kick. This post-Suzuki album, Soon Over Babaluma, still has all the necessary acid residue, but has an ambient flavor that is less, ummm, threatening. I love Can. Never know where they are going to land on your brain.

[​IMG]

23. Dahabenzapple

Oh to me they are the THE most overlooked rock band of that era. Typical of the non-Dead portion of this board that no one here listens to them. Too busy with some 8th remastered version of some "classic" Stones album from 1969....

budwhite likes this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I could see that, it's really awesome, I listened to it again this morning in the car and chased it with some Josh Abrams Simultonality. I really wanted to get the Fred & Hamid Back Togehter Again album too, but it was sold out.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

One I do NOT have....if it is good as some of the great trio & quartet records like Live at the Velvet with Kowald & Drake or Birdhouse, 2 Days in April, Blue Winter or Black Horn Long Gone, then that will be a winner.