What artist do you have the most LP's of in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scallywag

Scallywag Forum Resident

At the moment Status Quo (frantic four only) and the Rolling Stones. Just started collected vinyl again and thankfully afew years back I saved my dads Stones records. Quo albums seem to be really easy to pick up cheap which was great news for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

Elvis, Sam Cooke, Stones, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Thin Lizzy, Rod Stewart (JBG, Faces, Solo)

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

70s Status Quo albums are some of the best 70s rock vinyl bargains you can get. Fantastic albums, great sound and pressing quality and cheap everywhere due to the amount they sold and Quo being relentlessly uncool to like. A shame as I rate Ma Kelly's to Blue For You as essential rock albums with barely a duff track to be found. I'd like these albums to be more recognised as classics, but while they aren't it's our gain. Keep rockin'.

Scallywag likes this.
  4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Gotta be the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, and the White Stripes. Stevie Wonder might be close, too.

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Paul McCartney (even though I don't like most of them that much)
    The Beatles

If we are including unofficial releases then the order would be flipped. If we are including both vinyl and CDs of official and unofficial then the count is too close to guess either way.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think I counted this up once and it was Neil Young with 29.

7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Dylan, Neil, Stones, Dead, Beatles, Who

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I am quite shocked The Beatles don't represent 100 % of responses... #sarcasm

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I never thought of "LP" so that it implied "vinyl." "LP" was basically a length designation. I've owned LPs on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD and now "digitally." Likewise, I've owned singles and EPs on vinyl, cassette, CD and digitally. And LP=album the way I use it.

strummer101 likes this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm not near as big of a Beatles fan as many on the board, but if I added up Beatles releases + Beatles solo and other collaborative releases + Beatles tribute albums that I own, they'd be in the running for most from an "artist-family" excluding bootlegs. I have complete basic (all studio & live) discographies of the Beatles, all Beatles solo/other collabs, and I've got at least 50 Beatles tributes (including things like All This and World War II, the Sgt. Pepper's film soundtrack, the Across the Universe soundtrack all the way down to steel drum band Beatles tributes and so on)

I'm a crazy collector. There are literally hundreds of artists that I have complete basic discographies of. Luckily not everyone is as prolific as Zappa, Dylan, etc.

11. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

12. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - 28 (plus wildburys vol. 1, end of the line 7", and the woody guthrie tribute if that counts)
    End Of A Year/Self Defense Family - 28 (they release a ridiculous amount of 7", this number jumps up 2 if you count compilation appearances and another 3 if you count Patrick's other bands Drug Church and Loss Leader)

nothing else comes close to those 2

13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I think Genesis with the main 15 and the Archive boxes, the remixes, various pressings. All the live records as well if those count, which I believe they do in my opinion actually.

If I recall they would win regardless if we don't count dupes but I could see Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze beating them, it's just a lot of those records have so much reason to replay so I haven't gotten a big set despite being a fan. Those are artists where you can easily have 50+ unique LPs, live and studio. That is if bootlegs count in the case of Tangerine Dream anyway - they represent a heap of what's good in their discography anyways, :)

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Pink Floyd (25)

15. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I will add I have other discographies that are smaller but were really difficult to complete like The Gun Club (i'm lacking singles and some of the live and archival material but it was quite a task to get original pressings of Fire Of Love, Miami, Pastoral Hide & Seek and Mother Juno and his solo album Wildweed. I had to settle for reissues for the rest but the Bang! and Drastic Plastic pressings are great). I think I have 10 records, the live ones I have are sex beat 81 and danse kalinda boom and the SFTRI reissue of Death Party has a live B-side and of course Divinity was always half live, half studio

16. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Of course its original use was limited to vinyl records and the online dictionaries I looked at still indicate that. Other description have extended its original meaning to be a synonym for album.

So counting all albums, my results are:

Richard Thompson / Richard and Linda Thompson 53 + 9 for associated groups
    Neil Young 38 + 6 for groups
    Bob Dylan 23

Wounded Land and twowwheels like this.
  17. wvsteveo

wvsteveo Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  18. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

It's no contest-Beach Boys, Brian Wilson solo.

19. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Right now, without question, it’s Robert Pollard and GBV related material.

In second place is Pete Townshend/Who related ephemera.

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

21. Hilly

Hilly Forum Resident

Ehm wid ya believe 10cc 18 albums and 15 cds

22. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

LPs
    Sinatra - 35
    The Byrds - 31
    Van Morrison- 30
    Neil Young - 30
    Bill Evans - 23
    Dexter Gordon - 20
    Art Pepper - 20

This list would look different if CDs and Bootlegs were included

23. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

1st - Dylan 100+
    2nd - Procol Harum 40+

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's a tie between "Henry Mancini"...and "Henry Mancini, his Orchestra and Chorus". :D

25. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Genesis. All of the studio & official live albums thru Invisible touch, so 16, 17 if you count the second copy of Wind and Wuthering.
    Coming in second is KISS with15 records.
    And third would be The Beatles with 12.
    Just out of the top three are Chicago (10), Black Sabbath (10), and Judas Priest (9).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.