Familiar with BOTH versions of The Animals' We Gotta Got Out Of This Place: which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Me I have grown with the US version. I've been familiar with it since 1966, when a sister of mine bought the "Best Of The Animals" compilation LP. It impressed me a lot then, even though I couldn't even understand the lyrics at all. Only heard the UK version for the first time in my life a couple of years ago, and found the American one so vastly superior... But then I'm biased, so it's better I check this with a poll!

...The emotion in Eric's voice in the first verse, the color of his voice - its "blackness" - and it builds up so fine, mad and raging to the chorus... That's the take mistakenly sent by EMI to the US all right...

We Gotta Get out of This Place - Wikipedia

Jim N. likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I like the Partridge Family version best. They also rule Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

US of course. British sounds like an outtake.

5. billh

billh Senior Member

Growing up with the US version, that's the one I like the best. The vocal on that version is more gritty. The vocal on the UK version seems kind of hesitant. But I do like the prominent drumming on the UK version after the "girl there's a better life for me and you" portions.

snorker likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The UK version, no contest.

oxenholme likes this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The US version, no contest.

8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: You mean the "See My Daddy" version vs the "Watch My Daddy" version (to clarify things).

9. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Burdon goes astray in the UK lyrics ("watch my daddy in bed a-dyin'"; and, "I've been working too").

I never heard the UK version played on US radio until much later. When CDs came along, Allen Klein mandated that only the UK version would be used, until the "Retrospective" CD was released in 2004.

But why would a group would object to their producer finding them Brill Building material like this, and "It's My Life", and "Don't Bring Me Down"?

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This video was the first time I ever heard the song (and "Don't Being Me Down" and " It's My Life")

Damiano54 likes this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Definitely prefer the US version. Sounds much more confident. The UK sounds like a warm-up take - although it still proves they were one of the best bands out there.

12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

If it was the original UK version I heard on Radio Veronica 192 the other night for the first time ever...
    The UK version; the drooms are more prominent.

13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

US, natch.

It was our high school anthem.

14. ParloFax

Better:

..."My little girl yo so young and pretty..." instead of just "My girl"... Sounds better!

...The deep vibrato when he first sings "ain't no-o-o-o use in tryin'..."

..."Girl, there's a better life..." with a pitch slide down to the "life" note, whereas on the UK version he sings the note straight each time instead...

15. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Thanks for this thread. I never knew there was a US version different from the UK one which I have certainly heard hundreds of times. Listening to the US version today for the first time (and it is the first time as I would have reacted to the little differences), it sounds great and the slight differences are fascinating. The trouble is, you get used to a version and then it's difficult to react to another one except by referring to the little differences. Anyway, they both sound bloody marvellous.

ParloFax likes this.
  16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Didn't even know there was a U.S version..
    Ok checked out the U.S version...The UK version wins..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

U.S. version, no contest.

18. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

The "Most of the Animals" UK (Music For Pleasure) comp was one of the first 2 or 3 rock albums I ever heard, as a child. Anyone know which version is on that LP?

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

U.K. version for me.

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I far prefer the US version (similar situation to Gimme Some Lovin'), but Mann's original is TERRIBLE!

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I vote for the U.S. version.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yeah, but the UK version was the one that the artist originally intended™

The UK naysayers are just being nostalgic, and if properly educated they would admit they were wrong (i.e. Beatles US albums ).

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I honestly never knew there were two different versions!

Damiano54 likes this.
  24. ParloFax

Y a pas de quoi!

Of course everyone here is welcome, but the inputs to this thread from other parts of the world where the "US version" is unknown, or little known, is perhaps what I'm more eager to read.

25. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I don't give a damn...after you've been weaned on the US version, the UK sounds like the equivalent of rearranged furniture in a familiar house.

(I'm sure you could say the same if the shoe was on the other foot.)

onlyacanvasky and Jim N. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.