Bruce Springsteen on Broadway

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Tomorrow night is my night. Looking forward to more reports from fellow fans.

Fullbug, daveidmarx and JohnB like this.
  2. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

Well where can I find tickets for this show at $75? The cheapest I can find them is $850.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I love this.

JoeRockhead and Rfreeman like this.
  8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Amazing show from the 2nd row last night!

Great reviews in the NY Times, Wash Post and Guardian tell the story better than I could. Strange for me to say this, but at times you wanted him to keep talking and not play because he was so entertaining, heartbreakingly brutally honest, and poetic. Really can see it as a play versus a concert - and a brilliant one at that. Many people I talked to afterwards had that sentiment.

At times he ditched the microphone and sang directly to the audience. He was in fine voice, so was Patty. His guitar and piano playing was spot on. Deconstructed several songs. When the audience began to rhythmically clap during "Dancing in the Dark" he shut them down by saying "I can handle that thanks" - which made the audience laugh. Hard to suppress singing and clapping seeing Bruce - even acoustic, but you begin to appreciate it as a play, a true work of art done by one of the leading poets of our generation. You end up sitting silently, riveted, and realize you are being treated to something truly extraordinary.

A-list of celebs in the theater every time you turned around. Totally star struck. Miami Steve (and Maureen), Roy Bittan, Jon Landau, Jon Stewart, Tom Hanks, Tina Fey, Chuck Schumer, David Axlerod, Stings' wife Trudy Styler, Brian Williams, Steven Spielberg, Ralph Lauren, Ted Danson

After-party at the Hard Rock was a lot of fun. Celebrities evidently had their own private space somewhere else in the building.....

Truly humbled to be there.

Dusty Sommers, dee, windfall and 4 others like this.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

10. forthlin

Not sure about a law but I only brought jeans on the trip. Well...shirt & shoes too. And a hoodie. My Beatles hoodie

11. forthlin

Just back from the show. It was remarkable and unlike anything I’ve seen, can’t think of anyone else who could pull this off. I may add some comments when I get access to my laptop. I can’t imagine anyone regretting doing whatever it takes to see this show—including the couple next to us from Vancouver BC and the people behind us who flew in from Italy

JoeRockhead, Bossyman and azjvm05 like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Sounds like it was an awesome experience. What makes it unlike anything you have ever seen? Isn't just Springsteen playing a retrospective story of his work on acoustic and piano, with some storytelling thrown in for good measure? I am in no way trying to downplay the high quality of performance that he likely put forth, but I am sincerely interested why this is so unique and allegedly impossible for any other artist to pull off.

13. forthlin

Fair question. Will attempt to answer when I’m not trying to type on a phone.

Malina likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It sounds like a tremendous show. I saw him solo acoustic in Japan many years ago, and for $850 apiece, I was able to get tickets to see the World Series at Dodger Stadium, so I passed.

Of course, given history, I wouldn't be surprised to see my beloved Dodgers screw up again and lose to the Cubs . . . .

RockRoom likes this.
  15. I’d choose Bruce over any baseball game but that’s just me. :tiphat:

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It depends, if I had to sit through a concert of mostly Wrecking Ball and Working On A Dream tracks, or a Seeger Sessions gig, I would take the baseball game.

majorlance and budwhite like this.
  17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Congrats for that. That was brutal spousal support.

Rfreeman likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was a theatrical monologue, not story telling. And it was a monologue with a musical score, disrupted by songs, which were then disrupted midstream by spoken word monologue with musical score.

It was not 15 songs. It was a continuous contiguous 2:15 performance of a musical theatrical monologue with nonstop flow.

If it were like a concert set (it wasn't), it would be closer to a Grateful Dead set than to an ESB set.

For greater clarity, go.

JoeRockhead, INSW and forthlin like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Springsteen fans always says stuff like that.
    I also used to believe that he was way beyond everyone else live on stage. Almost like a supreme being or a superhero. None of that is true of course.
    He is a great live performer, certainly one of the very best. That's about it.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. Bruce put in great work and he's very reliable.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Don’t say that. I have tickets to all of the home game 2’s for postseason. Going tomorrow and hopefully again on the 25. Then it’s off to see Bruce on what may be game 7 of the World Series.

21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

22. dee

dee Senior Member

That sure was a smart and sharp article. Impressive piece by Laura Barton. Thanks for posting it and linking it. These 2 paragraphs back to back really got my attention...

Springsteen returns often to the idea that he is a creation, pointing out his flaws, contradictions, his silliness. Even tonight, he seems to say, in this semblance of authenticity, he is still performing. “I have never held an honest job in my entire life,” he announces. “I have never done an honest day’s work. I’ve never worked nine-to-five. I’ve never done any hard labour. And yet it’s all that I’ve written about. I have become wildly and absurdly successful writing about something that I have no knowledge of.”

What then has made these songs so resilient? What is it that still thrills the (mostly white, mostly male, mostly middle-aged) faithful? To see him play an arena is not to define it but to experience a huge heft of feeling. Tonight, by contrast, he seems to elucidate its power. “There’s nothing like the feeling of being young and leaving town,” he says. And it is this, in so many ways, that Springsteen offers: a sense of invitation and possibility – to leave, to go with him, to find faith, to feel. But tonight it’s not just the escapist thrill he offers, it is also the steadying hand, the talk of depression, disappointment, age, fidelity, the sweet marriage of masculinity and vulnerability.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    forthlin, windfall and Jimbino like this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

What was the Pit lottery number? :hide:

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The death of Tom Petty and learning more about Tom's upbringing and what he suffered through growing up...has led me to some inevitable comparisons to Mr. Springsteen.

And who is/was... actually more of a "man of the people".

I was a huge Springsteen fan in the late seventies (I loved Darkness on the Edge of Town and felt it spoke directly and personally to my life at the time) and went to a concert of his, either in 1979 or 1980.

I was struck by how well dressed the crowd was. Mostly guys with their dates.

And especially struck by how his "handlers" made sure that everyone kept in their seats.

It was one of the more tightly controlled concerts I had ever experienced.

And surprisingly tame.

Even with Bruce trying to generate energy, physicality, and raw enthusiasm...mixed with lots of smiles.

Comparing concerts during that time period in the late Seventies, my front row seat for the Police was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. But I was somewhat disappointed in the Springsteen concert as well as with Dire Straits.

By the time Bruce became a stadium Superstar...by the time of "Born in the U.S.A.", Bruce had lost me.

Almost a caricature of himself.

Of what he wanted to represent.

[​IMG]

One person's opinion and view of things, that's all.

Maybe I'm wrong or just seeing things incorrectly.

But Bruce on Broadway?

Could Las Vegas be next?

Listening to his debut album, one might start to wonder how he got from that first album...to what he invented himself as.

But America lets you invent yourself, so Rock On Bruce.

And kudos for your self transformation into the "working man's hero".

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park, N. J. (1973) - YouTube

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.