Bob Dylan Fall Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radio

Radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Would love to read some SHF members' reviews.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

I'd really like to see Bob another time. I'm a big fan, but I gotta admit I've been underwhelmed in the past. I saw him last on that AmericanaramA tour with Wilco and MMJ. Bob headlined, of course. On this night anyway, he was a difficult listen. Perhaps it was the outdoor shed environment, hell there are 1000 possible variables. His vocals were murky and the band was not memorable. I know from reviews that Dylan shows are something of a gamble--he can be really on or uninspired night to night. At any rate, could we expect a lot of the standards material on this tour? I wonder if some of the Gospel material would be asking too much.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No LA dates this time.

5. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

1. Things Have Changed
    It Ain't Me, Babe
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Why Try To Change Me Now
    Summer Days
    Melancholy Mood
    Tangled Up In Blue
    Honest With Me
    Where Is The One
    Pay In Blood
    September Of My Years
    Tryin' To Get To Heaven
    Early Roman Kings
    Desolation Row
    Soon After Midnight
    Thunder On The Mountain
    Long And Wasted Years
    Autumn Leaves

(encore)
    19. Blowin' In The Wind
    Ballad Of A Thin Man

From Funner California

6. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I was hoping he would change the song selection a lot more. And don't get me started on the Sinatra stuff. Disappointing to say the least.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Did Mavis open up this show? If so, did she do any Dylan or Dylan-related songs? Also, did Bob mention her during his set?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Without the Sinatra songs it would be a pretty good set. I've never really liked Honest With Me, despite my enthusiasm for Love And Theft on another thread, but Summer Days, Early Roman Kings, Pay In Blood, Soon After Midnight and Long And Wasted Years are perfect numbers for Bob with this band. It's great to see Tryin' To Get To Heaven on the list. Why bother with the Sinatra songs - that one has all the melancholy you need, it's brilliantly written and it's by Bob.

9. boe

boe Forum Resident

Ninth song "Where Is The One" has me stumped. Is it a Sinatra / standard that people who reported on the show got the title wrong? Only song I can find that's close is "Where Is The Sun" by Billie Holiday. Will be interesting to find out.

10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s off Triplicate.

11. boe

boe Forum Resident

Yikes. How did I miss that? I own the album and have played it a lot. This is what happens when I start replying to threads before morning coffee.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Not too bad. Think Bob is trying to tell us something in his song selection. Whether informed by religion or his own unique vision, but his apocalyptic description of America is coming true. The encore alone -- two of Bob's most accusatory songs.

Rickchick and RMB77 like this.
  13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Still playing Frank? Time to move on Bob

14. Mostly disappointing. Way too much Sinatra material and sad to see he's still performing the boring Summer Days. Trying To Get To Heaven is a nice surprise though and Desolation Row is always nice. Not enough to make me purchase tickets the next time he visits the Netherlands though.

melstapler likes this.
  15. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Ahhh hope he comes to Czech Republic :(

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Disaponting, boring and so on......
    Personally I find the naggin and conplaining more boring
    Watched the show in april and it was one of the most satisfying Dylan concerts I have seen.
    Anyway-all this conplaining about a 76 year old legend who still reinvents himself and tour as musch as he do is somewhat weird

melstapler, I333I, Rickchick and 5 others like this.
  17. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

I looked at a set list from last summer before I bought a ticket to the Omaha show, so this was about what I expected, and I'm more than happy with it.
    We saw him do the Sinatra show last summer outdoors, ready to re-visit the classics and the deep tracks.

The Omaha date is selling unbelievably poorly.
    I scored a front row pair just a few days ago for regular price.

Don't quite understand this, spot-checked some other cities that seem to be mostly sold.
    This map looks like Omaha will be mostly empty.
    Maybe Triplicate was a bridge too far for folks around here. :confused:

[​IMG]

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

A case of "Why Try to Change Me Now"?

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That looks like a really great set list to me. I haven't seen Dylan since 2008, but might try to go when he comes through here next month on the basis of that set list. Its also kind of a great old manlooks back "september of my years" kind of set list though doing "Things Have Changed" and "Why Try to Change Me Know" in such close proximity seems a little odd.

21. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

All good questions. I'm still waiting for the song (I read somewhere) that Bob wrote for Mavis to appear. Maybe she sang it in her opening set (if she played at this show)?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  22. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Since Bob is playing small venues these day, it's possible the scalpers bought blocks of tickets to make money on in the larger markets. I'm guessing here, but if the setlist isn't adjusted, I think Stubhub will be dumping tickets at perhaps lower than face value a couple of days before some of the shows.

23. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I was hoping Bob would sneak at least one song from the upcoming Bootleg Series 13 box. Substitute a Frank number for one of those songs, and I might pay just to see that! Yeah, I'm dreaming...

24. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

We are going to Broomfield next weekend. Haven't seen Zimmy since the Americana thing with Wilco, MMJ etc., 2013 maybe? So these will be out first Sinatra era shows, looking forward to it. Was hoping for a TP nod though, I remember when he was pulling out the Zevon tunes around the time Warren passed.

melstapler likes this.
  25. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

I noticed more theater and hall venues on the itinerary.
    I wonder why for Omaha on a Monday they booked the largest arena around?
    It might have to do with the logistics of loading and staging.

The date is in the midst of an arena run from Denver to St Paul & Chicago, so even if it sells poorly, it can serve as a dress rehearsal.

Our newer arena in Lincoln is notable because semi-trucks can drive into the building to backstage.
    Some of the big tours have remarked they had the fastest load-in and setup ever here.
    Old theaters, etc. are more of a hassle.

Regarding the setlist, I think sometimes Bob picks songs just because he enjoys hearing what his band can do with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.