Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

2. Speaking of Mobb Deep, Prodigy came out with a fine, new solo album last week.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

What's the title? :)

4. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

DAMN and Blue Fish Theory are my two favorites of the year.

5. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I love Big Fish Theory too. Definitely a hip hop album, but the techno/electronic influences are still massive. Must have heard it a hundred times already.

fatwad666, Timos and ando here like this.
  6. It's sad seeing this post now that Prodigy has passed away. The channel Viceland ran a heartbreaking interview with him early in the summer, apparently right before he passed away. The years of sickle-cell anemia had made his living very painful. Prodigy went over the details of his arrest and incarceration. I hadn't realized that he had a falling out with Havoc at one point.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread again!

Jazz Spastiks released a couple dope projects recently: Scratch and Sniff and Midnight Method available on their bandcamp here: Jazz Spastiks

Producer Fluent, an online friend of mine since the early 2000s, released an underground classic in 2008 with an MC from Chicago by the name of Decay. They called themselves Uncut Raw and re-released it recently on cassette/digital and has a few CDs left from the original run. When it came out there were people saying they thought it had a similar feel to MF DOOM and Madlib's album Madvillainy.
    Uncut Raw - First Toke [album] [CD copies available!!], by Uncut Raw

The insanely prolific Infinito 2017 (Marcellous Lovelace) has released quite a few albums so far this year (for a full 17 album boxset!), but I've only heard two and I'm really digging them a lot. Dope indie underground conscious hip hop.
    One of the 2 I've purchased: Infinito 2017 - Mind Of Advanced Resistance, by lowtechrecords
    And Infinito's bandcamp releases: Infinito2017

ando here likes this.
  8. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Second that!

[​IMG]
    By Any Means 2, KevinGates

A co-worker and fellow Baton Rouge native said of Kevin Gates' latest mixtape, the sequel to By Any Means 1, dropped a couple of years ago, "Well, I wouldn't listen to it again." The consensus is that it isn't as hard as the first and that any expectations for a topper should be squashed. I've listened to it once and I'd give it another spin. It grows on you. Gates has had time for deeper reflection and it shows.

9. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

My favourite hip hop album this year so far is Being You is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often by Quelle Chris

scotth likes this.
  10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Gotta love Mello Music Group. One of my contenders for AOTY is this incredible release:

11. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

On my list of albums to check out!

scotth likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Machiventa likes this.
  13. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Bobby Buckshot and ando here like this.
  14. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I have listened to this album quite a lot lately...

[​IMG]

An absolute gem!

15. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Love that album!! Just bought it on CD for the first time just a couple weeks ago!

16. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I bought it in the Spring, only heard it once... Then after some time I dug it up and got really into it. Unlike this one, which I only heard of a few days ago, then bought, now I've heard it a handful of times and am loving it very much...

[​IMG]

17. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

a oldie hip hop group

Kaotic Style

Tiger-Eyes likes this.
  18. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

grandmaster slice

19. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

kid frost

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  20. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Apparently the first 4 King Tee albums are available in Japan at a fair price...

[​IMG]

... Sounds great! Absolute classic.

21. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Lily Fangz

poolie likes this.
  22. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

There's a special deluxe edition. With lotsa instrumentals and remixes on the second disc. Same foes for 'The Main Ingredient"

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  23. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Anyone heard the vinyl reissue of Little Brother - The Minstrel Show? Looks like it was done by Ray Janos at Sterling. I'll have to pick it up.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Great list!

Picked up a used copy of Nas - Illmatic today. Never heard it before, as I turned away from Hip Hop around 1992, not being a fan of Dre, Snoop, etc. However, I have read so many good things about Nas I feel like I need to have it in my collection. Also, the youtube samples In listened to in the record store sound promising.

Aris likes this.