New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I purchased this CD recently and listened to it only a couple times so far. Anyway, it kinda reminds me of England - Garden Shed meets UK - s/t.

Of course, if you are looking for classic prog and haven't heard either of the albums I just referred to-- then go get those.

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The Prog Collective, by The Prog Collective (progressive rock, full-length, physical CD available, released October 9, 2017, Los Angeles, California)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: The Laws of Nature (feat. John Wetton, Tony Levin, Jerry Goodman )

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Can’t wait for this one! How does it stand against the first one?

4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

It's better, IMO.

calgary669 likes this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Roberto899 likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Well, Steve Wilson always was an Alternative Rock act, even with Porcupine Tree, who were an (great) Alt.Rock band, not Progressive rock band at all, albeit somehow "smuggled" in Progressive rock genre where so many great but virtually uknow young bands respect the basic postulates of the Progressive rock genre. So the genre is still alive, interesting and fresh sounding even in 2017, but it's now the music that is "indie" in its nature, and that's why some people actually don't like about the new progressive rock bands.

jay.dee likes this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Rebirth, by The Spur (progressive rock, full-length, physical CD available, released May 1, 2017, Kerken, Germany)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: The Second Age

8. District 97

District 97 Forum Resident

It's nice to see Dave getting mentioned here! His band and mine (District 97) are about to embark on our join Static Vaults Tour around the US Midwest and East Coast. Dates and ticket links can be found at Shows | District 97 . Here's a Tour Trailer to give you an idea what the show will be like:

It'd be awesome if some SHTV members can make some shows!

Rufus rag, Svetonio and Jeff Kent like this.
  9. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Early Porcupine Tree up to Signify was psychedelic more than alt rock, then after was more hard prog rock (not progressive rock) and some metal tinges with In Absentia. Song writing became more melodic and then alternative rock sounding with The Incident and FOABP, still prog because of the influence of 70's progressive rock artists that influenced him. The PT music was never, to me, hard core progressive rock music like what Yes, CAN, JTull and in some ways even early Rush till Signals.
    At some point bands find their groove and what they like and run with it.....All bands early on are simply trying to find their groove, they all progress into something different.
    Steven Wilson solo material is very indie/alt rock, again I think he is experimenting and trying to find his groove, it is still prog in some ways but not progressive rock. Insurgentes was actually more shoe-gaze/drone styled music, dark and nothing happy about it.......

10. Catcher10

What about the PNW??? Been asking when D97 was coming to Seattle/Tacoma on the PA site for years........ :(

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Riverless, by Night Idea (progressive rock, full-length, physical CD available, released October 13, 2017, Richmond, Virginia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Arc

13. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Thought I'd throw this up here because there may be some Hoffmanites who would enjoy it. I finally finished a progressive rock project that I've been working on, off and on, for five years. I had a bunch of tunes that were sort of a fusion of prog, alternative rock, and singer-songwriter stuff that I recorded with the assistance of some friends and musical associates.

Here is one tune, the first part of a suite (which is why it fades out):

More information at the link in my signature (all songs streamable from the CDBaby page).

Thanks!

14. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

...and here's my take on Rush's "Subdivisions" (very different from the original):

(Please forgive the double post but you can only post one video at a time.)

15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Phil Lanzon -If you think I'm Crazy

Heepster likes this.
  16. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Daniel Cavanagh (from Anathema) - Monochrome - really enjoying this one after first few spins!

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sorry, major disagreement here.

Much of the psychedelia was lost upon early PT by the time Voyage 34 had run its course. Up The Downstair started a journey towards more progressive leanings which culminated in The Sky Moves Sideways but never left thereafter. The albums Signify through Lightbulb Sun evolved into the more song-based aspects of progressive rock with some serious prog bleeding through. Even the more metallic sound of In Absentia forward contained more than enough prog to be firmly rooted in the genre.

Yes, Insurgentes is not a particularly proggy album but neither is To The Bone and both are still outstanding. Yet everything in between is about as prog as anything by any artist that has come before. Never have I confused SW or PT with being merely indie or alt rock.

18. Catcher10

Well major disagreement here too.......

There is really nothing progressive about Lightbulb Sun or Signify. Other than maybe Russia On Ice and this one mainly due to its length, it may be considered progressive rock. The rest of Lightbulb are songs that are more melodic, traditional time signatures and nothing very progressive there. Prog, sure because of his influences from Floyd and the like. Signify is electronic and beat driven, but not progressive rock.

Insurgentes is one of my fav albums, regardless of genre label, but it is not progressive rock. And just to be clear To The Bone is not prog/progressive in any way. It is very accessible alt/indie rock with again very easy tempo, 4/4 time signatures and traditional song structures, I agree it is a very good album but nothing prog about it.
    Sky Moves Sideways is psychedelic in nature.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  19. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

There was a lot of symphonic prog bands in the 70’s which is probably what you are refering to in your earlier comments.

Progarchives.com is doing a fine job at defining sub-genres to the prog label. No need to have everyone emulating Passion Play from Jethro Tull, TFTTO from Yes or to use complex time signature in shorter form song to be under the prog label.

PT and SW albums style varied a lot from one to another. There are strong elements of prog influence in most of them. Yes, Lightbulb sun is a bit on the pop side of things so was Missing Piece from Gentle Giant.

How do you label artist such as Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill?

As for Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning, they are IMO probably SW most prog albums! GFD been particulary personal and dark.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Pink Floyd were (great) Psychedelic rock act, never regarded as Prog(ressive rock) act at the time when "prog" wasn't a badge of honor. How many songs with odd time signatures Floyds recorded? I know only for Money, and I'm a big fan of PF who saw them live for the first time long time ago at their (great) Animals Tour, in Paris 1977. Also, I attended on David Gilmour gigs in Gdanjsk, Poland (2006) and Pula, Croatia (2015).

Though, I agree that Porcupine Tree's & SW's CDs don't belong to the Progressive rock genre at all, although SW recorded a few songs in Progressive rock genre, like e.g. Routine and Ancestral; but it doesn't matter. SW just touched so many genres in favour to make his successful and exciting musical cocktail, and therefore he got many tags in the world of multiplied tags, but if I must to describe PT & SW in an old fashioned way i.e. with just one tag - it could be only Alternative rock.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I disagree. Progarchives (PA) is doing a big confusion, especially to the newbies, regarding the genres categorization. I'd like to mention here just one thing - at PA, Progressive rock doesn't exist like a genre, and that's ridiculous! For example, at PA, Progressive rock bands like Family, King Crimson, Van Der Graff Generator and Gentle Giant are in PA' artificial genre called "Eclectic prog", because Progressive rock is a "spirit" in PA' weird mythology, not a genre! (btw, Progressive rock music was / is - more or less - always eclectic). Not to mentioned that they proclaimed In the Court of the Crimson King for "the first prog album ever", and so on.
    Their database is great, some nice reviews too, but the genres categorization is a disaster.
    Art Rock.

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

AGUSA, by Agusa (progressive psychedelia, full-length, vinyl LP available, released October 13, 2017, Malmö, Sweden)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Sorgenfri

Kalli, Delivered As Is and Moth like this.
  23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Thanks for your hard work in this thread, @Svetonio!

Sevenkims, Johnny Reb and Svetonio like this.
  24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Cheers!

Johnny Reb, Norco74 and Moth like this.
  25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I've posted link to new Kauan's album already at "Any Ambient Recommendations?" thread, but I'd like to post it in this thread also, as Ambient rock is a subgenre of Progressive rock aswell as this is a mindblowing album!

Kaiho, by KAUAN (ambient rock, full-length, physical CD available, released September 22, 2017, Kiev, Ukraine)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Siiville Nousu