New John Lennon release on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleroadie, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, it's been 7 years since the Signature Box and the Double Fantasy Stripped projects were released. Does anyone think there should be some type of new Lennon product in the next year or two? If so, what might it be?

Not another "Best Of."

Could we get a remixed/reconfigured Live in New York City album? Maybe something new done with the Menlove Avenue tracks or other outtakes still in the vaults?

Seems like the Lennon Estate puts something out at least every decade, so I think by 2018 we are just about due!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

A new book by Yoko Ono about the recording of the 'Imagine' album (and presumably the companion 'Fly' album) has just be announced for release in October 2018. Perhaps we'll get an accompanying immersion set based on the sessions done at their Tittenhurst home for both these albums. There ought to be something left in the vaults.

jlf, Sean, ConnieGuitar and 8 others like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Recently I looked for the Lennon Anthology box, which reportedly is out-of-print since years. So, actually I hope for some reissue of this.

Hmm, an Imagine box set would be awesome!

Sean, Mr. Explorer, teag and 2 others like this.
  4. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

It's way past time for a comprehensive 'Live In NYC' CD/DVD set. All of the afternoon/evening performances plus the Willowbrook rehearsals added in for a deluxe edition aspect. Could even include the Ann Arbor J. Sinclair benefit stuff. Maybe someone will know the answer, but it is just crazy that these NYC shows have not been released. But to answer the OP question, will we see it in 18? Probably not.

musicfan37, Jerquee, ted321 and 11 others like this.
  5. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

IMO, I also think the Estate has missed the bus with not releasing a Bermuda 80 set of Lennon's demos. Instead we get the marginal 'Acoustic' release. A small 1 or two disc collection of JL's Bermuda demos placed in a reasonable running order with Lennon's period specific drawings seems like a no brainer. They did do that 'Bermuda Tapes for iphone or some rubbish right? I guess that went over well.

Jerquee, Sean, pobbard and 5 others like this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I'm happy with the Signature box myself at least from the music side of things. I think it was a case where they did a pretty darn good job with the sound. I wish original mixes had been included but I have original vinyl to cover that if need be.

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I want the 1957 St Peters Church tape in full please. Like er, all two songs. Historical significance and all that. Why not ?

Sean, DTK, Evan L and 5 others like this.
  8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

The signature box does use the original mixes.

musicfan37, Sean, bartels76 and 14 others like this.
  9. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Jack Douglas was reportedly working on a revamped Live in NYC a few years back but it's been a while since we've had any updates on that. Hopefully they don't feel a need to wait for the 50th anniversary.

There seems to be a tendency for a major release every 5 years in the fall to coincide with John's birthday. There was a vinyl box in 2015 so they may be waiting until 2020 for the next big one.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

They would not include *all* the 'Live In NYC' tracks plus Willowbrook rehearsals plus Ann Arbor stuff in one package. If they release too much stuff at once, they might run out eventually...

[I'm usually not that cynical, but.. he just hasn't recording anything new lately..]

11. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Agreed, but with Super Deluxe Editions being 'in', and the SLOW JL release schedule, it could be a nice prospective release. It's not like there is much left in the JL vaults. They mined a lot (most) of this stuff during the Lost Lennon Tapes series including the One to One shows. I would hope if the estate WAS going to release the One to One shows its not in piecemeal fashion. The Willowbrook warmups I feel help to create the bigger picture of the event. Yea, Ann Arbor may be a bit much. ;)

linclink likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This thread title is misleading.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would fit to an expanded Beatles Anthology series release.

mc7t likes this.
  14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Not if the first response was, "No, haven't heard anything."

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

A 'Rarities' release of odds and ends, former bonus tracks and single edits, would be nice.

Billy Budapest and Sidewinder43 like this.
  16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'd like to see all the solo albums get a deluxe treatment with surround mixes, outtakes, video from the era etc. each released individually so serious fans can choose which albums they'd like and doesn't force people to endure stuff like SINYC unless they really want to:)

majorlance, Benno123 and mando_dan like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You beat me to it.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Actually, I'd love a vinyl box set of the Remixed versions of all his albums. MFSL did three of them and stopped...and now they're impossible to get sealed except for some ridiculous E bay price. I do have POB and Imagine but I'd love the remixed versions of the others on new vinyl as well.

19. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

For those of us CD listeners:

We sure could use a Plastic Ono Band-Live Peace In Toronto in it's original mix. Plus I would love to have a complete singles collection with correct single mixes and b-sides.

Sean, Blue Cactus, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  20. helter

helter Forum Resident

Other than John Lennon’s diaries .....not much left that excites me
    I think I’ve heard all the cassette demos ....
    You can only play those so many times

21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

They should have a podcast on iTunes that replays all the Lost Lennon Tapes episodes for posterity. Other then that another anthology size box would be awesome and a Live In NYC blu ray is long overdue.

22. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Could always get a remix of Two Virgins.

Nah... let's pretend I didn't say that.

Sluggy and The Beave like this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

We've already got the stripped back version.

24. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Back and front

fer2, Billy Budapest, Sean and 6 others like this.
  25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The signature box was the original mixes. The remixes were on the previous cds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.