Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No a lot of them don't have major faults. However, GZ pressings have historically looked terrible with scuff marks etc and they, in my experience, have a higher noise floor than the likes of RTI, Optimal, MPO etc with constant crackle in a lot of cases. I think it depends on how much they also pay for the pressing.

One thing I will say is that I don't get many warped records from GZ.

How does the Blue Moves compare to original in terms of mastering?

2. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Got my copy of Madman Across The Water yesterday, and it's beautiful -- flat, centered, quiet, and sounds great. The gatefold with the glued-in booklet is flawless. This is how vinyl reissues should be done.

jonnyeric and JamesRR like this.
  3. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Two copies of Blue Moves from Amazon US and both are horribly noisy. Crackly hash on both discs - super aggravating during quiet bits like "Tonight" and the intro to "One Horse Town".

Returning the second copy as well to Amazon US and just ordered another copy from Amazon UK. Crossing fingers and all that...

4. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Don't want to worry you, but my Amazon UK copy of Blue Moves is going back.

"Tonight" is so poor, the copy I bought back in 1976 has fewer crackles!

I know some have been lucky, but I'm not paying £30 for anything less than 100% perfect.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No vinyl is 100% perfect! I think there is likely some noise on quiet parts of side 1 on all these and it is probably a plating issue. Depends partly on how your cartridge/arm and TT deal with it. My copy is quite acceptable on my gear but I wouldn't call it perfect. I can't generally find any relationship between price and pressing quality apart from MFSL and I have had to exchange a few of those even.

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I do agree, I think I was overstating it a bit.

It just irritates me that vinyl I bought 40 years ago is quieter than newly bought.

It's still going back though! :)

7. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I had two copies from Amazon US, and both were very noisy on Side 1 - beyond acceptable. Was going to try Amazon UK, but after hearing this, not even going to bother.

Not sure if waiting a while until it's repressed will help. Such a shame - out of 14 reissues, it's the only one I've had trouble with.

Darrin Crawford and Mazzy like this.
  8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

How long ago did you buy? I preordered and got it on release day and mine was very noisy. Returned immediately, 2nd copy was also noisy. Returned again.

Noticed they didn't have it in stock for a day or so and it returned (this was about a week ago). Wondered if another batch had arrived.

9. Maybe they are trying to tell you something :tiphat:

JeffreyB and e.s. like this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Give it a rest for christ sake...:mad:

Strat-Mangler, fredblue and ego1jr like this.
  11. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Yes Mazzy.....enough

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Man you guys. :tiphat: Even Elton has a sense of humor.

[​IMG]

I found these reissues to be spectacular for the most part. Great pressings, beautiful covers and if you love Blue Moves then great, enjoy it.

Based on these ongoing discussions I just found it ironic that this particular title has been practically the only one with pressing issues.

Of course I don’t like to hear folks getting bad pressings but we can all lighten up a bit with all the serious crap going on.

Happy you’re enjoying the music. We all have different tastes and that’s what makes these forums entertaining imho.

That’s entertaining and enlightening.

13. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Now that's more like it Mazzy! :wave::righton:

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Ha. It’s always been like that if folks read all my opinions on these records.

I guess that having fun too is not for everyone :tiphat:

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can anyone explain Davey Johnstone's hair? I know it was the 70's, but that looks like a lot of work to maintain.

e.s., jon9091, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  16. They had the budget for professional stylists :tiphat:

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think he was trying to get on Charlie’s Angels in case Elton gave him the boot.

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

As of Friday afternoon, there was a sealed original copy of Blue Moves at Music Millennium here in Portland, for a fraction of the cost of the reissue.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. I could make it in three hours unless I get stuck in Tacoma Traffic. :tiphat:

And it was great meeting you this past weekend @e.s.

Enjoy all the new music.

e.s. likes this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Was greeting meeting you, too -- and you know, I almost bought that sealed of Blue Moves and brought it up to Seattle for you, since I knew you were out a copy after @chacha's last visit...

Mazzy and chacha like this.
  21. Such thoughtful folks around these parts :tiphat:

Just listened to the new Madman last night. Such a great sounding reissue.

Peachy, e.s., CBackley and 1 other person like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I need to pick up Madman. I just listened to Captain Fantastic and was very impressed by it.

AJK74 and e.s. like this.
  23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He still has long locks like that, AFAIK. Maybe without the wave styling, though.

24. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Finally got hold of the Captain Fantastic vinyl reissue today (it was reduced in HMV from an outrageous £38.99 to a far more reasonable £19.99). I have to say the sound is incredible - definitely one of the best pieces of new vinyl in my collection and the booklets and poster are top notch too. Kudos to all involved in putting these out!

pdenny, Darrin Crawford and CBackley like this.
  25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Who would have thought that in 2017 we would have beautiful reproductions of his albums with some of the best sound quality we have ever had in a reissue. All hope is not lost in the remasters world.

Stefan, CBackley and AJK74 like this.