Criterion "The Breakfast Club" blu-ray with 50 minutes of deleted scenes announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JoeD, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I love when they release films like this. Dazed and Confused is one of my favourites of the collection. Great film and great packaging.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Awesome! Bring on Ferris Bueller next. Let's see some scenes with his forgotten siblings.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    longdist01 and Karnak like this.
  3. Heh. I'm in my 40s and I'm still reading comic books. :D

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

50 minutes of new material included in a branched extended version? That would be awesome. But the chances of that are pretty small. We'll undoubtedly get a clump.

5. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this is to the 80's what Saturday Night Fever was to the 70's, Easy Rider was to the 60's, and Rebel Without A Cause was to the 50's.

JeffreyB likes this.
  6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'm not going to be satisfied with anything less than Uncle Buck, complete with a feature-length documentary hosted by Bertrand Tavernier entitled "John Hughes: auteur américain des années 1980".

modernlvr, longdist01 and LitHum05 like this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Silence of the Lambs is Criterion worthy. It is a masterpiece.

5th-beatle and 905 like this.
  8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I love the original movie like crazy....All people shold be like that today!!!

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Apparently the original shooting script surfaced online a couple years ago, but it's in limited circulation.

10. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

This is amazing. I knew there was a lot of cut footage but long ago resigned that it would never see the light of day.

I attended high school from 2004-2008 but 80s high school films make me sad that I never got to drive a thunderbird to school and reach 2nd base with REO Speedwagon in my cassette deck. All we got was emo and terrorism and a recession during our depression.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Dave Garrett likes this.
  11. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Agreed, one of my top 4 favorite Criterion packagings. The biographies are great and you can tell the team put a lot of love and top-shelf haze into the project.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

"You load up, you party."

[​IMG]

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too! but, if it was I'm sure they'd be pushing that fact...

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love that movie, and I was glad to get it on BR...

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Molly Ringwold and Anthony Michael Hall were both 16 during the filming of the movie. The others were all in their 20s though.

17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Wait, so they haven’t found the footage where the five principles travel upriver to the French rubber plantation? I was hoping for Breakfast Redux.

Solaris and LEONPROFF like this.
  18. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

If they can find 50 minutes of outtakes/retakes of the swimming pool "moving in stereo" scene, that release would sure be tempting. :shh:

Okay, even without that I still love the film.

19. SoundAdvice

Cameron Crowe didn't keep a VHS copy of Ridgemont uncut and says the studio didn't keep the cut stuff. Doubt Amy Heckerling has anything. Maybe 20 extra minutes are used in the TV version(SD only?) and could be a nice Criterion with seamless branching or as one deleted scene reel.

20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That'll be included but it is just 50 minutes of Judge Rineholdt doing o-faces

21. SoundAdvice

Now that fans reviews are coming in, it seems there a few deleted scenes missing that are known to exist. Only some of the syndicated TV only scenes are included and those are different angles or skip/add bits of dialogue.

As awesome as the extra scenes are and Criterion going full out on interviews, it seems the studio and family are still holding back a couple crumbs for a future project.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Just received mine from Amazon today. Will watch it later this evening.

23. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Yes and Silence of the Lambs will be back in print with them very soon.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Watched the movie again. It had been years since I have viewed it. I have to say, the Criterion Blu-ray edition is superb for both audio and video. Viewing it on the 65" curved 4k TV.

I just received a new Emotiva BASX MC-700 processor to replace the ageing Emotiva USP-1 processor yesterday. I have not installed the new processor yet so the movie was viewed on the old processor.

Some comments about the commentary and deleted footage.

I watched most of the movie and then went back and went back to the beginning and turned the automatic voice over feature on for the commentary and watched it all the way through to the end.

This was viewed with the mono soundtrack. I will watch the movie again with the commentary off and the 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

The above video link posted by @MikeInFla, is what all of the 50-minutes of deleted scenes look like, in stark contrast to the picture quality of the movie. For whatever reason, ALL of these scenes look like they were shot with an old VHS camcorder, blew up too large and viewed through a wire window screen. They are all some old analog tape. This is the worst video quality of deleted footage that I have ever viewed as bonus footage. It's really bad visually, really bad!

We need to ask @Vidiot his take on why the original 35mm negative with these scenes is no longer available. It doesn't make any sense the at least some of these cut scenes be archived in the 35mm format. Just asking for maybe why?

Most of this footage is not really deleted footage of scenes that have been cut, they are simply different takes of the same scene that made the cut of the theatrical release. Keep in mind, that the movie itself is only 97-minutes.

Some of the scenes that were cut, just didn't work, which is why they were cut.

While I won't give away the content of some of the cut scenes, my favorite one, and it is excellent, is when Bender is speaking to Carl about becoming a janitor and asks him, how was one go about becoming a janitor. This is jst after the beginning of chapter five.

It's seems a pity that there are no surviving 35mm negatives so that some of these outtakes could be released in an extended edition.

Carl tells the kids about his HS days and how his life went all the way up to becoming the school janitor. It is raw and real. During this, the camera flashes to the kids, who's real life is limited to their parents at home and life in school.

You can see how they are shocked about what happens after you leave school. There is no holding back on the language being used by Carl, so it might have affected the movie's rating due to the very adult language being used.

After talking about how his life went and him becoming the janitor, he then precedes to predict the lives that each of them are going to take after they leave HS, starting with Bender, whose life experiences are not too inviting.

It is really too bad, because this IS the killer scene of the movie. I'm guessing that most all of it was too real and it was thought that it would bring down the audience vibe.

There is a real clever scene that takes place between three of the cast, where two are on one side of a library stack and one member is on the other side. I can't see any reason, for this scene being cut.

In a tie for my second place deleted favorite scene, is when Clair is doing a make up makeover on Allison. It is really done well and they are close together, making the scene close-up and more personal. It works. Note: there is this scene in the original, but this is an extended version.

Just my notes and initial opinions.

four sticks and Silver Surfer like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I would think the scene got trimmed because it spent way too much time with a secondary character. The movie is about the kids and how they relate to each other - while Carl's speech involves the kids, it still spends an awful lot of time with a character who could be cut from the movie entirely and we wouldn't even notice...

O Don Piano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.