Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Headfone, polchik, Porkpie and 2 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

At 13, the DR on the original cd is pretty good already, so I'll just stick with that, I think. But thanks for the info!

lightbulb and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Aren't most NY reissues decent? What makes you think this is digital? I've had the original several times but I never liked this album enough to keep it.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently all of Neil's early-mid 90s stuff was recorded and mixed digitally at CD resolution. Because he thought it sounded better or something. I'm sure it will be a fantastic reissue as far as pressing and sound quality. Maybe Chris Bellman can squeeze something out of the DAT or whatever the master is.

I think it's a nice album for wintertime. Drinking apple cider and bourbon, that sort of thing. It's not On The Beach, but what is?

5. Neonbeam

Since NY was always open to new technology it would make sense. Funny you would say that with "Winter" because I remember buying this when it was released, listening to it with a friend for the first time and being.... disappointed. Must have been November or December.

The upside: If this is now a double vinyl set a potential reissue of "Ragged Glory" will most likely be one too. And since I'm having this silly "Somewhere on a desert highway" lyric in my head once a month, I might even get the new "Harvest Moon". Even though this will be most likely hot scalper property. Because somehow they love picking up stuff where originals are expensive.

lightbulb and Leviethan like this.
  6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Harvest Moon was the last, back to analog with Sleeps With Angels.

Tuna82 and Gavinyl like this.
  7. MyOwnWorstEnemy

MyOwnWorstEnemy Senior Member

I noticed on the list that Black Friday is the first release for the reissue. I won't pay flipper prices if I can't get one, will just wait until it hits regular release.

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm happy to see this is on a double-LP because it looks like the original vinyl (not released in the US apparently) was a single disc. And the album has a playing time of 51:50 according to Amazon.

polchik and Headfone like this.
  9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Odd timing... I finally found (and bought) an original on Saturday...

10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I'll buy it if I see a copy on RSD. Love this album

11. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Interesting that the neil young reissue campaign jumps from 1978 (Comes a Time) to 1992 (Harvest Moon)

oneslip17 likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Does that mean Ragged Glory is also 16bit digital?

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

I have much less of an issue with a digital sourced vinyl pressing when that’s how it was recorded.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here. I have no issues with digital and or mixed recordings. Hopefully the mastering on this cut can breathe some new life in it. I was never happy with the original mastering.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'll buy it.

hope "unplugged" is next (maybe an expanded version with all the tracks).

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Yes, Neil went Digital starting with "Everybody's Rockin" and ending with "Harvest Moon".
    Everything from that period is 16 bit Digital.

lucan_g likes this.
  17. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I think it was with Mirror Ball

18. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

:(

It won't happen cause there's too much money to be made, but I wish the vinyl reissue program would just skip this period and go straight to the Sleeps With Angels / Mirror Ball / Dead Man / Broken Arrow run.

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am psyched for this

wwright likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Ragged Glory would be a better candidate for 2 lp treatment as it's so long and loud. After this most NY albums came out as a double (and analogue).

cwd likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, I guess that makes them prime candidates for the next MFSL One Step release.

hazard, Gavinyl and fitzrik like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

23. Neonbeam

Definitely but my German original doesn't sound bad at all.

Jam757, Six String and SteveM like this.
  24. Harvest Moon is a favorite of mine. For me he got back into great songwriting after a series of somewhat failed experiments and records that seem to be more elongated riffs and jams. I do like those but love this more than the On the Beach era or Reactor, This Note and so on. .

Not sure I'll make it to RSD this year so unless it's still around I'll probably just get the later Rhino issue.

Lambert75, wwright, e.s. and 3 others like this.
  25. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I visited my local store today. The owner said he ordered 20 of these for the black friday. I hope get one! :cool:

He also mentioned that it would be only three sides of music and etching or something on the fourth. I wonder is this accurate information...

FourWalledWorld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.