Tim Buckley / Complete Album Collection: 8CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hulloder72, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I have it. Only had Dream Letter Live in London previously on CD and the old version sounded superb. The new version. also sounds fantastic and crystal clear. The Troubadour also sounds great. Haven't played Honeyman yet

Hep Alien and HenryFly like this.
  2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I wonder if these are an upgrade over previous versions. I have all the original CD’s so did not give this a thought.

Dream Letter & Troubadour are the 2 most essential Buckley releases in my opinion. I reckon I prefer him served up live and on the edge rather than a studio setting.

3. Oyster Boy

Dream Letter has always been my favourite Buckley. Hallucinations on DL is one of the best things I have ever heard.

GerryO, moonshiner, RockRoom and 2 others like this.
  4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

It seems that at least 80% of this box is newly remastered. Compared spectrograms of all previous CD versions, and
    the new ones are different. NOT crushed, but def. a bit louder.

5. ServingTheMusic

There is also a good possibility the whole set will be available as a 24/96 download.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Me, as well.

I'd always had my reservations about his studio albums but when I heard D.L., way back in 1990, I finally 'got it'.

GerryO and Oyster Boy like this.
  7. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I'll often play music in a street, train or tram environment so compressed DR is not such a sin. But I won't be buying the Buzzin' Fly set for that reason. I've played the three original live releases only once each since the beginning of May, compared to Lorca 11, Starsailor & Blue Afternoon 10 times etc. I can't justify the purchase to myself.

8. Mine arrived this afternoon. Gatefold sleeves for the above 3 titles, although the sleeves are not up to Japanese mini-LP standards, with cheap card used and no inner sleeves.

Discs are crammed in tight and impossible to remove without fingerprints on the surface. Too tight for polythene inner sleeves even.

Just played Starsailor and the sound quality was similar to the Japanese SHM-CD, with more clarity than the old Enigma Retro release.

jh901, crozcat, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  9. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Listening non-SQ critically now to the first three tracks of 'Venice Mating Call' on repeat. Verdict later. Very happy so far though.

10. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying the 'Buzzin' Fly' from the "Greetings from West Hollywood" set. He decided to drop the pitch so that it's like a very good version of Tom Jones is trying to raise the roof. The absolute revelatory moments are on 'Venice Mating Call' disc 2 though. Very different and much more conventional arrangements for 'Lorca' and 'Anonymous Proposition' than on the studio album. Wow!

11. Just idle curiosity while I'm waiting for the box set to get here. Does the Work in Progress set come with the booklet/notes that the original Rhino reissue had. Listening to the cd last night and the booklet contains some pertinent information about the tracks selected.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. The only thing that I think is even better than that is Hallucinations/Troubadour on The Peel Sessions!

13. Oyster Boy

Not heard that version. I will look out for it.

14. Oyster Boy

The version here in the UK has no booklet.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Can anyone review the quality of this box, please? I am curious about this new remaster.

art likes this.
  16. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I'd also like to hear what fans have to say, particularly if there's been any loss of dynamic range compared to the 80's and 90's original CD releases. I'm attempting an analysis of the remaster on 'Venice Mating Call' based on the single performance, "Driftin'", it has in common with "Live at the Troubadour" from 1994. After the first listen it's very clear some mid-range punch and high-end clarity has been sacrificed for more muddy 'ambience'. I'm still open-minded though;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. ServingTheMusic

My listening impressions: The new box set...in every case I prefer the new versions to the previous CDs.

More depth, more open, and more recorded detail without seeming at all over tweaked.

A bit opposite for Look At The Fool...I find the new remaster a bit bright..too many EQ moves..although
    there are details in the mix that are def. clearer...

Hep Alien, HenryFly and Oyster Boy like this.
  18. Michael de Wergifosse

Michael de Wergifosse Active Member

Did you notice that "dream letter" on HAPPYSAD has reversed stereo channels ? I wonder why... (a remastering error or what ?)I have not checked the rest of the box but except that "error" the new remaster sound good to me.

19. ServingTheMusic

I will have to compare it the LP...

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Mastering engineer credit?

US Amazon Link - no luck!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  21. Oyster Boy

I have played Happy Sad, Blue Afternoon and Starsailor. HS and BA sounded great and not compressed. Being unfamiliar with Starsailor the sound came as a shock, as it seems quite a rough mix compared to the other two. I assume that this is the way it was recorded.
    On first listen, musically, I would file Starsailor next to Captain Beefheart. The best albums always take the longest to get into.

Blue Note and Hep Alien like this.
  22. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

The track 'Starsailor', for example, is one of the most fascinatingly and frustratingly pretentious pieces of genius ever released. An inspired YouTuber whose name completely escapes me, came up with a really impressive theory and backed it up with a video, that Tim's song and the psychedelic 'Stargate' section of 2001: A Space Odyssey were very well synchronised. The scene with "Starsailor" dubbed over the top of it, was taken down pretty quickly, but it certainly got me thinking.

Maybe it was a coincidence that Tim and the co-owner of his record label (Frank Zappa) shared a love of Stanley Kubrick's film's soundtrack's focus on Avant-garde classical music at this time Ligeti, Varese etc
    Maybe meeting the opera soprano Leontyne Price (who was very impressed), after one of his very experimental gigs in 1970, could have been the trigger to a classical collaboration. This might have been an avenue even further along the avant-garde than the 'Starsailor' track.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    hulloder72, Oyster Boy and Hep Alien like this.
  23. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

I think all the albums sound significantly better than previous versions I've got on cd. Never had Starsailor on cd, but did have flac of it from a cd source, and it's a big improvement from that version. They are louder than other versions, but in a good way - they've all got a bit more meat on them - warmth and body. There are far more expensive box sets with far worse sound & far less albums (ahem - David Bowie A New Career In A New Town) being put out today - so I'd say this is a real steal. As I predicted before the release, it's just the packaging that lets it down a bit (goddamn they are tight to get the cd in - although them being quite flimsy seems to mean the inside cover doesn't press against the cd when you get it out because they bend outwards, so prehaps the discs won't get scratched), but it's really the music that matters anway.

It'll be interesting to see if these things stay in print for a long time.

Oyster Boy and Hep Alien like this.
  24. ServingTheMusic

Pretty spot on. Starsailor was a shock even when it was released. Many considered it career suicide. But what did they know...:laugh:;)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

None. I have the Qobuz download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.