Jeff Lynne's ELO to release new live album 17.11.17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larsen, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yikes. I was joking around, but you're not. I'm truly sorry you are that cynical.

2. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

And what has that got to do with your post? He had to cancel his last tour in the US cos he sold 5 tickets

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Poorly promoted tour during the infancy of the internet. Many people didn't even know about it until the tour was cancelled.

4. Michaelpeth

BS mate. Travel to Europe...you might like it. It's ok we have good food and we shower now and again.

vitorbastos123 and Lorin like this.
  5. Blue Cactus

Europe is fine. The food is fine but I'll avoid your neighborhood.

6. Michaelpeth

Neighbourhood.

7. Blue Cactus

:rolleyes:

Tell someone who cares.

8. Michaelpeth

Perhaps we shouldnt derail the thread any longer. However, i'll leave you with this. I love Wilco...they tour USA extensively. They dont come to the UK too often but I accept that's how it is. Good luck to their American fans. I'm hoping I can fly across to see them in Chicago sometime.

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Because he has his own life he is living? We shouldn't bash people for not wanting to tour, "mediocre albums" is subjective, fending fences is personal and not our business, etc.

Such as the life of an entitled fan

vallilalainen likes this.
  10. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I agree with the sentiment...but I'm not sure the facts support the theory any longer...like many here, I would love to see more of the archive material released...but I imagine there are many business related and creative impulses that slow or halt that process...yeah live DVDs and hits driven tours are nice, but it doesn't take long for it all to start feeling stale...

11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I'd be a zillion times more interested in a new studio album.

12. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Jeff Lynne has never really been an artist who considers his fans and offers them treats. It's not calculated or primadonnaish, he just doesn't function in the way someone like McCartney or Springsteen does.

It's like he's not evolved since the 1980s. Maybe it's because he spent so long out out if the public eye after ELO and retreated to the studio. Interviews show that he doesn't keep up with what's going on in the music world, he releases albums that barely last 30 minutes and remains an unlikely and uncomfortable frontman. But I don't think any of this artistic and personal aloofness is done on purpose, he just operates in a bubble.

However, recently there's been a shift. The tours have become annual, set lists have opened up, a live album bundled with a film of the show is released that took weeks rather than over a year to post produce. Releases of old and new stuff are becoming more frequent. There are signs that the glacial movement of camp Jeff is warming up. Maybe the scales have been lifted regarding recognising that there's still a market for ELO product. Maybe there are some treats on the horizon

13. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident Thread Starter

And the dull award goes to... No way is that live.

14. Blue Rain Telephone

Blue Rain Telephone Forum Resident

I like it! I think this is my favorite version of Xanadu, falling somewhere between the Olivia Newton-John version, and Jeff's own stripped down studio version.

FACE OF BOE and Larsen like this.
  15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I like it too! Ron

16. Michaelpeth

What is it?

17. Wait, did Jeff (and the rest of ELO in its latest group configuration) play to thousands at a major venue like Wembley or the front room of Bungalow Palace? For all the crowd ambience of this "live" recording, he's not doing his reputation any favours. Considering that a planned follow-up to the Mr. Blue Sky album was meant to focus more on ELO's later hits, I wouldn't be surprised if large portions of Xanadu - along with several other tracks I could think of, for that matter - performed during the recent tour were lifted from previously unreleased studio remakes. In more ways than one, I have to ask who is buying this...

lawrev and Comet01 like this.
  18. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

It sounds like Perry Como...and not in a good way...

19. Michaelpeth

Jesus H Christ.....listening to stuff on youtube. Why not just wait until you actually get a version worth listening to. Yep it might well be drivel but for a forum that takes it's self so seriously I find it utterly odd that people listen to a minute via youtube on a phone and write it off.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  20. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Even if bits of that was recorded live, they've smoothed it up to the point where its impossible to tell. It's almost impressive.

21. Either those string runs were played by violinists capable of separating each note with superhuman precision or they came from keyboards, and a little YouTube compression won't make that much of a difference to what I'm hearing...

lawrev, Comet01 and G00dVibrations like this.
  22. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

You don't honestly believe that a digital file, or CD, or vinyl is going to make THAT much improvement, do you...? It may improve thee overall sonics, but it's not going to change the lackluster, by-the-numbers performance...

dr jazz likes this.
  23. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's what they were hearing in the audience...I guess you can compare to see if the vocals match up...

25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it's sounds fab. Crowd ambience? The performance, the instruments and vocals are all recorded directly. Crowd noise SHOULD be quiet and subdued until the end of the song when the crowd erupts... and does so on this clip. That's not saying some of the backing tracks aren't pre-recorded... they most probably are. But, there's plenty of live singing and playing too. The first "ooh", after Zanadu is hardly perfect. Why would that not be fixed, if the aim was for studio perfection? I'm looking forward to this release. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.