Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

It says so right on the site:

3. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix?
    The complete Hammersmith show?

I’m in!

4. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Have to say I kinda like how they're doing updates/new versions of the album artwork!

Stormrider77, RangerXT and scoutbb like this.
  5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I didn’t think the 2112 set was worth getting, but this has me interested. The live show in particular is something I’d like to hear

RangerXT, johnny q and lukatherfan like this.
  6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

Thanks for this. Didn’t see it on my phone :)

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hell yeah!

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

This is the same Hammersmith show, now complete, released on Different Stages, correct?

RangerXT likes this.
  9. ModernDayWarrior

That’s correct. I had suggested they do this in a thread a while back. To bad they didn’t have a different show they could release but I’ll take the complete show. That and the Steven Wilson surround mix has sold me on this set.

RangerXT and warewolf95 like this.
  10. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I already bought the Zappa Halloween box, the new Crimson box and the Master Of Puppets box. I cannot afford another. God help me.

11. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The 2112 anniversary set with the "cover versions" was a huge commercial failure. I got the 3-disc version brand new on ebay for less than $5. There's a thread about it here. Universal couldn't give that set away. I'm shocked they're doing this again with bands doing cover versions of the songs. I'd be interested in hearing the full Hammersmith show I guess, but otherwise this seems like a bad idea.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

PLEASE DO NOT BRICKWALL THIS RELEASE

thank you

13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

If they're sticking with the 2015 remaster by Sean Magee as advertised, then we shouldn't have a problem... :)

johnny q and ponkine like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'll probably just get the "regular" deluxe edition (3 CDs according to the Rush newsletter I just got) but am waiting to find out exactly what is on that as compared to the "super" deluxe edition.

RangerXT likes this.
  15. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

This will be mine. Don't like the cover. The content is great though.

16. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Was going to pass on the Super Deluxe until I saw the magic phrase "mixed for 5.1 by Steven Wilson." Finally.

17. ModernDayWarrior

He should have done their mixes from the beginning. Here’s hoping for a Hemispheres surround next year.

18. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Oh God! I will be all over this provided the price is reasonable for the UK. I finally bought the 2112 super deluxe box only very recently when I found one on eBay for a sensible price. I actually only wanted the triple LP edition but couldn't find one for less than £75. Then, just a week after buying the deluxe box thing (for £68), Universal UK discounted the vinyl-only edition in one of its sales but it was too late...

The complete Hammersmith show on vinyl is the main attraction for me. But what an attraction!

RangerXT and ODShowtime like this.
  19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Yea got the email this morning, then saw $79.99 4-LP set....whoa!! I'm 'tinking aboot it hard, we will see.

20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

God damn it!!!

Metallica Master of Puppets
    Dickinson Vinyl box
    Queen - News of the World

And now this.....I need a second job for my upcoming box set needs :D

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Weren't the previous 5.1 blu-rays just conversions from the Sector DVD sets? Is this the first one that's different?

22. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

So the Bluray is only in the super big box edition? that would be a bummer. I'm really interested in the SW 5.1 mix as he does that very well.

klockwerk, RangerXT, stodgers and 2 others like this.
  23. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Take my money now!!! :agree:

24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

And once again the only thing I really want (the blu-ray) is held hostage in a $150 set with a bunch of vinyl I won't listen too. Sigh.

25. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The alternate live "2112" from Massey Hall on the 2112 set was totally worth it...for the $5 I paid for it in the discount sales online (thanks to the thread here). But it was really worth it...fantastic stuff. My head was rearranged by it!

If the new Hammersmith mix is anything close to that, it will rock for sure. While they are finally remixing things, I really wish that they would have had SW do some instrumental mixes, like he did for some of the Yes titles. Instrumental mixes of vintage Rush would open up a whole new realm of new interest and fandom for the band, after literally decades of all the people saying they don't like Geddy's voice on the earlier recordings by the band. Those instrumental Yes mixes were a real revelation, I heard everything like it was fresh for the first time. I think it would be much the same for Rush if they did that. An instrumental "Caress of Steel" would be phenomenal.

caravan70, RangerXT, ytserush and 2 others like this.