New John Lennon release on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleroadie, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I can think of a couple creative projects they could do:

1) A covers CD of unreleased Lennon demos (Howling At the Moon, etc) from current bands/artists - i.e. MGMT w/maybe the original demos included on a bonus CD

2) A detailed POB and Imagine Box Set would be interesting - I bet there are a few outtakes we have not yet heard

2. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Cool, this is the first I've heard of the podcast. I used to work with Robert—he's really knowledgeable and a good guy.

3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm probably one of the few people who would love to finally have the complete "Imagine Video Album" on DVD, including the Yoko songs.

ted321 likes this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

So do you listen with a gay face? :nyah:

PIGGIES, Rob Hughes and mrjinks like this.
  5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

What happened to Richard? I listen to the podcast but am woefully behind.

6. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I actually have the Ono Box and enjoy it. To each their own!

7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Yeah man, more power to you. Glad you enjoy it.

8. Paul Saldana

I like the mastering on this set just fine though some have criticized it.

grandegi likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

How nice, a bash Yoko thread disguised with a misleading thread title.

picassoson likes this.
  10. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

Kids' bed Lennon?

11. Paul Saldana

I think the reason they haven't remixed or re-remastered "double fantasy" and "milk and honey" is because Yoko participated in the original sessions/production, supervised the early 2000's remastering, and therefore those versions are now considered 'canon' at least in her mind -and- she is the owner of the tapes so she has final say. Every earlier lp was remastered for the Signature Box except for those two.

The "Stripped Double Fantasy" came about at Sean's suggestion. And what a brilliant move it was, IMO

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I was lucky enough to find the fourth disc of the Lennon boxset at one of our secondhand music stores in town years ago. The CD was just in with the rest of the Lennon CD's, no idea where the other box set discs were. Didn't care, it's the only way I've ever owned John's 1980 material. That fourth disc is perfect.

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You see what you want to see.
    That some people don't like her performances mixed in with John's when they are listening is their personal choice.
    As one of those who don't like her vocals or music, I understand why some folks would want albums of just Lennon.
    I like John as the artist, not Yoko.
    It is like getting the Early Beatles albums on Polydor. I buy it for the Beatles and I skip over the performances by Tony and the Beatboys (the ones that don't involve the Beatles).
    Yes, I know that DF and M&H were conceived and issued as having performances by both. But just because John and Yoko issued them that way, it doesn't mean I have to like it or listen to all the songs on those albums.

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agreed. And there’s also the “dialogue” aspect of alternating songs. That’s how J&Y saw it back then, and I’m sure that’s how it will always be seen in their camp. Even when Yoko’s not around, I’m sure Sean will see it that way, so I wouldn’t expect any changes. That 1990 comp is likely to be as close as it gets...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Paul Saldana likes this.
  15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So I looked up the "Bermuda Tapes" APP mentioned upthread but everything I Googled was a little vague.

Are the demos full length or excerpts? Anyone know how many there are?

Mark

16. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

How about a Lennon hologram tour? I'd go to that.

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

They split over differences in the direction of the podcast. Robert is going on with satb, Richard has a new podcast based around the 60s with Erik Taos. Shame; they had great chemistry.

Jerquee and forthlin like this.
  18. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

As everything has its time I think they should release as much as possible while anybody still cares....

19. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

That is a really great box set. Although it's all out-takes and alternate takes, I have to say it's my favorite Lennon release.

20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

There was one new John demo, I forgot which song, and one new Yoko demo. The rest wasn't worth it.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  21. There was a “special” release of Imagine a few years ago that stunk. Here’s to hoping for something better!

22. There’s really not that many, so it would be easy to pull together a disc.

23. It’s NOT a good mastering, unfortunately.

24. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I would love to hear a stripped-down Imagine -- the raw tracks, before Phil Spector "sweetened" some of them with strings. (Though I also love Imagine as is.)

oboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Wait... when I wrote it should (better "could") be a good mastering, I was referring specifically to the 4th disc. Assuming the box has the 80s mastering (same as the individual albums, later CD pressings), I expect the set to be generally plagued by noise reduction. But if so, the 4th disc should contain the Polydor mastering for Milk and Honey and the Capitol mastering for Double Fantasy, which are the best available masterings on CD for those albums (the 2000/2010 remasters are severely peak limited). I inspected those waveforms and there might be a slight use of NR on DF, but only limited to some intros, if any. If this is confirmed, the 4th disc is indeed what I need. On the contrary, if the mastering is different than those individual albums, forget about it... look forward to a feedback on this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Billy Budapest and ladycat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.