INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Oct 5, 2017.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm not going to even attempt getting this sucker off :laugh:
    [​IMG]

mdm08033 and impalaboy like this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So Dolby Atmos, will there be a noticeable difference when listening through a pair of headphones, or do you need some elaborate set-up? Either way, I think I will be springing for this set.

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hear the Sgt Pepper Dolby Atmos remix Giles did for that one day theatrical presentation. But, from the accounts I read it was quite spectacular.
    Maybe someday.

4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

It is part of the surround sound mix and requires a system with at least 5.1 speakers plus 2-4 ceiling or "Atmos" speakers (which are designed to reflect the sound off the ceiling).

Nothing you can experience with headphones that I'm aware of (although there are some headphones designed for 5.1, I've never heard of any with height and Atmos decoding).

5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Not really interested in this, now if it was 'Listen like Thieves' i'd be in like a shot!

OptimisticGoat and morgan1098 like this.
  6. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Slightly OT but what was the concept for the LLT video for the single. It looks like they were doing a homage to the music hall in the movie 'Escape from New York'

jamesc, Encuentro and Rufus rag like this.
  7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Love them or hate them, I think that an Apple lossless and or flac headphone surround mix should be created for all of these re-mix projects.

The headphone oriented surround format you’re seeking is DTS Headphone X.

DTS HEADPHONE:X / Surround Sound to go | DTS

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Sheeds_au

Sheeds_au Forum Resident

Pre-orders are now available on the INXS online store - including for a guaranteed RED ltd ed of the 1/2 speed masters....cheaper than the JB list price for the black ed. Ordered. Will be interesting to do a listen-off with this and MOFI and original pressings.

ispace likes this.
  9. klyph

klyph Forum Resident

I have a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup, and though I admit I don't know this album intimately I look forward to hearing it (as well as the R.E.M. AFTP Atmos mix). I personally enjoy good Atmos movie mixes. No, it's not essential but once you've heard great overhead effects it's hard to go back.

dobyblue, mdm08033, Sheeds_au and 2 others like this.
  10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It should be adventurous to match the dance floor vibe that so much of the album has.

11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Not a mistake - Kick is being released as both a single black vinyl (via the above link) and a 2x45rpm half speed mastered set.

And a RED vinyl 2x45rpm half speed mastered set (via the universal store).

JP Christian likes this.
  12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

jamesc and morgan1098 like this.
  13. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Cool r3ading. so fame got to Axl's head back in 88 who would have tought

15. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

red vinyl ordered, black vinyl appears to be sold out here in the UK

16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Where did you order the red vinyl from?

17. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

JP Christian likes this.
  18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I’m always interested to see the gimmicks used to sell something to people again. I enjoy most of the album, but somehow these ‘new improved deluxe’ marketing approaches remind me of washing powder.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I’m glad I let 25 pass. This new set will have the few remixes I’m missing.

21. ispace

ispace Senior Member

I attended the world premiere of the Kick Dolby Atmos remix here in Sydney, Australia tonight at Event Cinemas George Street. The surround (including ceiling!) effects varied greatly between tracks; percussion was common, rhythm guitars occasionally and some other sound effects & ambience from the front. I'm not experienced in surround audio so hopefully someone else can add to this.

The sound was great but it was played so loud as to lose some of its clarity in my ears (not sure what the technical term is for that). The quieter parts were amazing, but it is a fairly loud album! It was hard to tell if it had been compressed in this setting. The original album has 1987 reverb/processing all over the vocals and that remains, for better or worse!

After the whole album was played in darkness, Giles Martin & Andrew Farriss were interviewed & asked questions by the audience. The rest of INXS were also in the audience & appeared on stage briefly at the end. You can see the interview on INXS' Facebook page.

[​IMG]

IronWaffle, DMortensen, Plan9 and 4 others like this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you for sharing.

23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Even from your description, its sounding as though the surround mix is more adventurous than Giles’ Pepper 5.1 mix. Whether this is the result of the band encouraging & approving of a more active mix, or from feedback regarding the Pepper 5.1 mix, I don’t know.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

someone I knew used to say Axl walked around in the early 80's convinced he was going to be big. Told everyone he was IT. It didn't win him friends.

25. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Nope, but he was right.