A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I loved this album when it came out. Saw them twice on that 87-88 tour. Still like it a lot, though "Dogs Of War" is one their weakest songs.

roger87, moodyxadi and RangerXT like this.
  2. I enjoy A Momentary lapse. The music is terrific and harks back to Wish You Were Here although lyrically, it's not quite as good as it is musically. Having said that, it also highlights Dave's strengths as a composer and arranger but also points to where he needed Roger's ability as a lyricist.

Dogs of War is heavy handed lyrically and the lack of subtly isn't that unusual as Waters could lack subtly as well.

It could use replacing the drums and I do wish that Dave had gone back as he indicated he might and remix it with More Nick and Rick.

One Slip, On The Turning Away, Learning To Fly and Sorrow all compare to the best Of Waters Floyd

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Well, I have avoided starting this thread myself a number of times. So, thanks for taking it on. I just don't like to see the same crits over and over. "Dated," and "DoW terrible!" I disagree with everyone on this. Dogs of War is heavy handed because it should be heavy handed. That's the point of the song. I think it's absolutely terrific and always have. It's one of the more pragmatic if not prescient songs the Floyd have ever done - and I do consider this Floyd. Floyd with an 'all hands in' approach. I have always felt that David Gilmour was smart enough to ask for help when help was needed. No reason to be 'only me/us' as the band had had quite enough of that approach with the last couple of outings. He and Nick Mason took a lot of risks making this album and I've never, ever not considered it my personal favorite (as opposed to thinking it a 'best of' the bands which I don't - not the same thing at all). If not for the support, we might not have had latter day Floyd and thanks to all involved that we did as far as I'm concerned.

As for being dated, I just have never really understood this criticism about anything. Why is being able to tell when something probably was created bad? Sgt. Peppers would be dated by this logic (i.e. pscyhedelic, late 60's production - even if it defined these. Still). Nonsense.

IMO, Waters strangled the creativity of the other band members more and more throughout the 70's - and that's just the way it happened. (Rick Wright was emotionally unavailable for the AMLOR recording sessions, but came back to life as it were on the road.) I ascribe no intent on Water's part. I don't know him and can't judge. But Gilmour's anger seems encapsulated on a few songs from his first two solo releases. Sorrow is the ultimate artistic expression of this anger. It's not pointed and could apply to anyone, but feels very much in reaction to one man's constant harping on an obsessive vision of the past. Sounds spot on.

Not looking to prove any points here. Just happy to share my unusual view. Thanks, again, for the opportunity.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Waters gone by AMLOR but you know Gilmour tried to give some really good post waters Floyd. AMLOR and Division Bell were not so floydian but had some good merits and flashes of the old 1970's Floyd.

roger87 likes this.
  5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I don’t have much to add here except that I like it for what it is. I understand the wish for a remix «taking the 80’s out of it» but personally I actually like the way it sounds «dated» and grounded in that particular time/situation. Occasionally it is that sound I’m longing for. Also we have some Gilmour live recordings for an updated approach. I just wish he could try out a few more from this album. A no-percussionist-jumping-in-a-cage vesion of Learning To Fly could be cool. Although I like these live versions as well.

6. The Revealer

:laughup:

RangerXT likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

I like the 80's production and sound myself. AMLOR is what was left of floyd by 1987, I think for an historical reason the sound dated or not is perfect. Although I wouldn't mind a current remix. Just sayin..

8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Meh. I bought it a few months ago. Played it once and resold it.

Edit: come to think of it I saw them on this tour. The show was pretty good. Only time I ever saw Floyd.

roger87, RK2249, timind and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Same here, and I wish Delicate Sound of Thunder had captured the power of the show I saw - the new stuff had real power to it live that the recorded and released versions seem to have airbrushed.

10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Not in the same class as The Final Cut, it proved that without Waters PF where a done deal !

roger87, andrewskyDE, RK2249 and 3 others like this.
  11. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Personally, I think its a turd. It was an album cobbled together by Gilmour (with O'Rourke's encouragement) and and other hacks who had previously had nothing to do with Floyd. It was Pink Floyd by committee. Say what you want about TFC and other previous Floyd albums - they were all heartfelt, sincere and passionate. No one could deny that. This was none of those things. Radio friendly pap like Learning to Fly and One Slip and attempts to imitate Waters political concerns with Dogs of War and On the Turning Away - it all feels so plastic and contrived. I don't own a copy and never will. I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years on Floyd related music and memorabilia but they will not get a tenner out of me for this out of principal.

roger87, ronm, Desolation Row and 3 others like this.
  12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It sounds like a weird cross between the production of Depeche Mode and Dire Straits IMO.

Dodoz, roger87, moodyxadi and 7 others like this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

They were missing waters sarcastic political wit big time. The Floyd did gave some pop commercial hits in the waters Floyd. Money, Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2. Just sayin... Great interesting post.

roger87 and xfilian like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Maybe that's why I enjoy it :laugh:

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Floyds were making a new album by trying to fit in with the then current music chart sound. Albeit good or bad.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Bought it when it came out. Had to as it was a new Pink Floyd album, or so I thought. I probably listened to it twice. It just seems to plod along with no purpose other than to let Gilmour play a few nice guitar solos. Too bad the songs those solos are in are so boring.

roger87, xfilian and RK2249 like this.
  17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Agreed, but those songs were all part of a larger picture and story and were appropriate to the piece as a whole. They were not just chucked in at random cos, hey, that the kinds serious stuff that Pink Floyd songs deal with innit?

Waters' eloquently summed it up better than I ever can: "I think it's a very facile but quite clever forgery. If you don't listen to it too closely, it does sound like Pink Floyd. It's got Dave Gilmour playing guitar. And with the considered intention of setting out to make something that sounds like everyone's conception of a Pink Floyd record, it's inevitable that you will achieve that limited goal.'

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Great point. Listening to AMLOR and Division Bell makes me wish Waters would have co wrote at least two songs on both albums.

roger87, moodyxadi and xfilian like this.
  19. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It's one of those albums when I was very busy but went to see the tour following it up and was very happilly surprised.

roger87 likes this.
  20. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I think post Waters floyd is very good strong maybe not as strong but still great song writing brilliant solos both a lot better than the Final Cut i like Division Bell a lot better

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Waters and Gilmour helped each other's talents excell as a duo.

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Me too... I saw Roger Waters at about the same time on his Radio KAOS tour. Both were stunning and wonderful.

roger87 likes this.
  23. The Revealer

True, but Mason and especially Wright were essential textures to the Floyd sound as well as composition process up to Dark Side. You can't have those Waters lyrics sounding the same without that incredible Floyd sound behind it. Mood. Mood. Mood. I like AMLOR because it boldly embraced a new mood. The Division Bell was also a much different experience. Overall, I find change to be an essential part of the Floyd experience from start to end. Change doesn't bother me at all. Authenticity, or the lack thereof, bothers me. I can stomach some people's attitudes about AMLOR not being 'authentic' due to the 'by committee' approach. Yet, it was born out of necessity and has that edge behind it. Those musicians understood Floyd, and understood that it was going to be something else from that moment on. It was not a copycat effort and that's what I love about it.

24. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Yes, those two seem tired and dated to me as well. Don't dislike them, but they don't get spun anymore. As I get older, when I reach for an LP from a band from my youth I tend pick my favorites. I can listen to Wish You Were Here continuously for days, it's so perfect. I love album sides and both sides of that album would probably make it into my top ten album sides along with side 3 of Physical Graffiti and side 3 of Electric Ladyland...

RangerXT likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Absolutely. As John Lennon said about the Beatles: "We were like a picture frame each corner held each other up". At least something to those words.

Same could be said of the Floyd. Especially Wright's keys, he made that Floyd legendary sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.