New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Some shorter more focussed songs alongside the epics. Still recognisably the same band though.

Norco74 likes this.
  2. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to be at one of the Under The Bridge gigs - so had heard some of the material before. Immediately loved 'Impossible'. The guitar map is fun isn't it!

Norco74 and debased like this.
  3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I have Sorni Nai by Kauan ... not really prog, more like a post-rock / death metal concept album ... but it's bloody great, and maybe a few prog-heads can get into it coz it's basically a single 60 minute piece. And it's also a "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

[​IMG]

--Geoff

Svetonio likes this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Frammenti Notturni, by Unreal City (symphonic rock, full-length, physical CD and LP available, released September 10, 2017, Parma, Italy)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Il Nido Delle Succubi

5. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

What I love about Cardington is that those shorter songs give the album a certain drive where as the debut was more of a meandering kind of album. Cardington is over before you realise it. I am really stoked about seeing them live next year especially since one of my favourite musicians, Dave Bainbridge, has joined the live band as guitarist / additional keyboard player. Bainbridge is a stellar musician and composer in his own right and I have followed him ever since I discovered Iona.

6. debased

debased Senior Member

In the world that inhabits my mind, "Impossible" is a smash hit single.

Now that they've got him and Jon Poole it looks like a perfect blend of musicians and personalities. This didn't happen overnight, which makes me appreciate it even more.

BTW, this site needs a Lifesigns thread.

7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Love this RPI band!

Wounded Land and Svetonio like this.
  8. Norco74

The guitar map shows you how much efforts these guys are putting in to make it sound right!

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Absolute, by Gino Pavan (experimental / ambient rock, full-length, vinyl LP and chrome cassette available, released September 1, 2017, Italy)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Absolute

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Diffraction, by Black Water UK (female-fronted progressive rock, , full-length, physical CD available, released September 11, 2017, England, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Walked Away

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Unwinter Trip, by Petrichon (progressive fusion / metal, 5-track EP, released October 21, 2017, Jakarta, Indonesia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Message from Home

12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Steven Wilson isn't prog?? Ok.

13. mikedifr0923

Agree on his first two solo albums, and Raven is absolutely prog. Hand Cannot Erase has several prog songs, is a concept album which is very prog.

Yes, he touches all genres in his music, which is very progressive of him.

PT has several different eras. Sky Moves Sideways is very prog. Signify is mixed.

In Absentia throug Fear are absolutely prog metal.

Alternative is a ridiculous label in my opinion. Alternative to what??? Bad music???

There is a reason the guy is working to remix many of the prog legends.

stax o' wax and Norco74 like this.
  14. mikedifr0923

Are you guys including Prog Metal in here?

Sons of Apollo came out Friday. For anyone that likes Prog metal like Dream Theater, this is a tremendous album

Portnoy/Sherinian together is just awesome

JSSoto always delivers on vocals

Sheehan is a legend but is much more reserved on this one

For me the surprise is bumblefoot. I had no idea he was that great of a guitar player

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

SW's catalogue is Alternative Rock, pretty crossover , but it is not "Crossover Prog".
    The fact that he was recorded a few songs in Progressive rock genre (e.g. Routine, Ancestral) doesn't change anything; for example, Police were recorded some reggae songs but nobody say that Police were a reggae band.

16. mikedifr0923

Because you say it is?? LOL

He is progressive rock. And he has always been labeled as such.

17. mikedifr0923

Someone should tell him and the entire music world including his fans, those that he works with, those that cover him...that he has been categorized wrong for 30+ years. Maybe he should have let us know

:biglaugh:

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Yeah, SW was labeled as "Crossover Prog" at progarchives.com
    Before that, SW was labeled as Alt.Rock only. And at that time most of his fans didn't know what Progressive rock genre was, they were thinking that tag *progressive* means a badge of honor.
    In that artificial progarchives' genre once called "Crossover Prog" (actually made in favor to replace former "Art Rock" category at PA what was a big mistake of many they made re PA' categorization), SW is together with acts like Robert Plant, Talk Talk, Radiohead, Tori Amos, David Sylvian...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  19. mikedifr0923

Which is dumb......he definitely has similarities with Radiohead at times, but that's about it.

And last I checked, Crossover PROG still has prog in the title.

And since In Absentia in the early 2000s he has always been called prog. They toured with Prog bands, he works with prog artists. He is covered by prog "media" (the little there is). The majority of the musicians he works with are known in prog circles.

Next you're gonna tell me King Crimson is alternative right???? Whom his second solo album was strongly influenced by.....Raven, from his own mouth, was an old school 70s prog rock album.

20. Norco74

Progressive is a popular isurance company in the US...

Joke aside,
    as much as the Prog genre cannot be definitively defined as much you can’t define its sub-genres. Over the years, the genre also incorporated more elements of jazz, classical, dissonance, world beat, reggae (Meurgly from VDGG) and others...

One thing though, sub-genres are not a black and white affair, it has many shades of grey (pun intended), read nuanced.

Again, Progarchives are doing a fine job. You might not be in agreement with their classifications, reviews and other services they are providing but they are doing a fine job. Without them, I would have missed a lot of new stuff fom the Prog scene old or new. They are not perfect and since musical taste is a very subjective and personal matter, I am not always in agreement with the reviews but at the end of the day this is what is interesting sharing ideas not rejecting them.

jay.dee and mikedifr0923 like this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

22. mikedifr0923

Checked it out. Pretty good. Will have to explore more

Svetonio likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

"(...) Porcupine Tree's early sound evoked a style of psychedelic rock comparable to that of progressive rock band Pink Floyd. Upon signing with Kscope record label in the late 1990s, the band approached a more mainstream alternative rock sound. (...) " Wikipedia

There's one big mistake in above text actually. Pink Floyd (big fan myself) never recorded one Progressive rock song except Money, and before Internet "musicologists" like those at PA, PF were regarded as (great) Psychedelic rock band as well; in the 70s, Psychedelic rock and Pink Floyd were almost synonyms.

24. mikedifr0923

Love that you cut off the rest of that paragraph....confirmation bias much? ;)

" By the early 2000s, the band signed to a major record label and shifted their sound again, this time in a more progressive metal direction. "

Essentially what I said above.....

This is the music they are known for by 95% of their fanbase.....In Absentia through The Incident. No question the early stuff was psychedelic and experimental. If we want to say Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are alternative leaning, eh maybe.....but that's only two albums out of how many? Stupid Dream has as much pop as it does "alternative"

Then you get to Wilson's solo stuff where 3 of the 5 are absolutely prog rock (Grace, Raven and Hand), no argument, with one prog with a little Radiohead influence (Insurgentes) and then the 5th being the new one which is all over the place, but more pop/rock than anything else. He even called his influence for the new album "progressive pop like Peter Gabriel"

Would like to understand why it's so important to you to call them alternative when they clearly aren't known as such and never have been since I started hearing about them back in the late 90s......AT PROG SHOWS :D

25. Norco74

This is interesting. Never noticed that Insurgentes was Radiohead influenced. Will look after that on its next spin. For me, Insurgentes is more prog than HCE. Very KC 90’s influenced at time.

mikedifr0923 likes this.