Tom Petty Anthology price increase due to death

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by spanky1, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After Tom's passing, I decided to look into a greatest hits disc. I liked the Greatest Hits, but wanted the song "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around". Because of this, I decided ANTHOLOGY was probably my best bet. I looked Amazon and Best Buy, and it was $13.99. I waited while I shopped ebay. After a couple days, I decided that the used ebay prices were pretty close to new Amazon/Best Buy prices.

Went online to order this morning, and it's $16.99 at both Best Buy and Amazon. I know that the passing of an artist will cause crazy issues with pricing in the second hand market(and ebay). However, I'd never experienced this with a major seller. Is this common? Is it temporary, and should I expect to see it drop back down?

Not complaining, I just found it interesting. If I had bought it on ebay a couple of weeks ago, I could have gotten it for less than $10 dollars(with some patience).

cicadabro likes this.
  2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I remember when Kurt Cobain died, Newbury Comics jacked up all Nirvana cds. Yes, it's a common thing. Commonwealth, that is.

cicadabro likes this.
  3. cicadabro

cicadabro Active Member

I purchased the Live Anthology Deluxe box set (the one with 5 CD's, one BluRay and the vinyl reissue of "Official Live 'Leg") at Best Buy when it first came out. Don't remember the exact price, but it was in the $65.00 - $75.00 range. Yesterday, I saw it on Amazon priced at over $900.00. Seriously?

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Death causes prices to escalate. Something new. :)

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I lowered the prices on my vintage CSR and Mobile Fidelity Tom Petty CDs in the classified section.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

How is this "new," if Hendrix, who died 47 years ago, said " once you're dead, you've got it made " ?

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I saw a copy in my local entertainment store. It was £2.99 or 2 for £5.

8. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I mentioned in my OP, I've seen this (almost always) happen with private sellers, and independent stores. Didn't know it happened with Amazon or Best Buy. Maybe the record company upped the price?

eelkiller likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Playback used to sell for $20 and now it's over $40

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP, I think you answered your own question with this: After Tom's passing, I decided to look into a greatest hits disc.

Obviously a bunch of people are doing the exact same thing. Death puts these artists in the spotlight and on people's minds.

11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Supply & demand regardless of why. Just like gas prices.

12. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

They'll drop in a relatively short time.

bug2362, PH416156 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I actually just picked up the 4CD Live Anthology for $15, brand new, in a local shop. I remember seeing one copy years ago for $31 and then never again until today.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

That version is likely out of print, which likely accounts for some of the price. If anyone saw a price beforehand, I'm curious as to what it was.

I purchased a used copy many years back for about $25, where the front corner of the case was bent in. I didn't care, it had no effect on the 5th Cd, blu ray, or vinyl. Since its for personal enjoyment I'm not selling it either.

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think after Christmas all the prices will go down and be back to normal for the more common items.

16. Myke

I just got the Chris Bellman cuts of Hard Promises, and Into The Great Wide Open for $19.98 each, after their 20% off code.
    Not only priced normally, but shipping bombproof via Fed Ex ! Everybody else waiting for restock.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

To quote a character in Spinal Tap, "Death sells"!

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm sure that somebody has a crate of these from when Best Buy was blowing them out for $29.99.

19. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

So I'm looking for Petty vinyl on Discogs, are prices super inflated, or are those typical? For example, the cheapest Full Moon Fever is about 30 bucks (in the US), Into The Great Wide Open is about the same.

20. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Hendrix was talking about everyone saying they love you after you die.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I saw a bunch of sealed new pressings yesterday at Newbury Comics in the $20-25 range. Not sure if FMF was among them.

22. Myke

Great. Still works in this context, so I'm good.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It did with Robert Palmer and George Michael.

24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.