Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the visuals are terrific but the overall feeling is pretty downbeat, so I agree with you there. It's a tough movie for me to sit through, and I've seen it at least 3 times.

2. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Deckard as a replicant is simply nonsense (it was Scott's idea with his director's and final cut version, I am not even sure whether this Replicant think was part of the initial plan). Why would Roy Batty save Deckard's replicant life in the end? That would largely diminish Roy's last action. Nah, I never got that madcap concept. Sorry Scott! ;-)

As for the score, I wish they would have called Tangerine Dream. I came across their last studio album entitled "Quantum Gate", and I think some of the materials could have fit well on this new Blade Runner movie. A lot of dynamics and heavy sounds! Quite suprisingly good. Check this out, there are some tracks available on YT!

Here is one, what do you think?

3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Count me as one who liked the deckard / replicant angle... and I thought this new one was great! Don't see a lot of films like this, and I thought he pacing and space and breathing room in the film was terrific, and held quite true to the original's feel. Plus i loved all the nods to the first film, too...

Great stuff-and juxtaposing the hologram girl to the "real" replicants was sharp, too, I though. Zimmer's music is always heavy, but there were a lot of nods to the original score and that was cool, too...

The blue screen on the ending scene outside was too obvious, but other than that, I thought the visuals were wonderful...

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

And before I forget it again: I didn't like
    that digital version of Rachael!
    Why do sensible directors use digital ''actors'' when it looks artificial! It felt like 'let's see if we can revive Peter Cushing digitally'; it just distracts...

Runicen likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Saw this at the flicks last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I feared the worst when I saw the trailer the previous week (It) as it had been edited down to a shoot em up action film, fear not though it was as long and drawn out as I’d hoped for. The cinematography was great and the sound intense. Great stuff!

lbangs, davenav and macdaddysinfo like this.
  6. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Tangerine Dream would have been amazing.

DHamilton, Pipi3 and The Revealer like this.
  7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I really think that this could have been edited down to about 30-45".

somnar and BGLeduc like this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I keep seeing people say this.

I disagree, as I thought everything that happened on screen was important.

cwd and SuntoryTime like this.
  9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Me, too. It did not seem like a long time interval to me as I watched both times. I think it was all spot-on.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sean Young's "replicant" I call a 7/10 success. Pretty fakey looking.

Yovra likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It was short for his serial number: KD6-3.7.

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Thanks, I did note that-since the entire code was reduced to the first character and only alphabetic character, I presume the posters know this and observe that the natural inclination is to summarize the entire data string to that initial letter, and therefore perhaps that predictable pattern by the participants in the world within the movie had some symbolic meaning.

The Revealer likes this.
  13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I may have overlooked any in-depth conversation on this point, although someone has mentioned the comment supra, when Deckard responds to the query about the "legitimacy" of the canine, Deckard didn't know and advised K to ask the dog. I may be reading too much into this, but in that brief exchange of three (?) brief sentences, Deckard establishes it's hard to tell AND maybe it is really of true importance in an otherwise ideal world that self-identity really matters to the self in question-other person's conclusions aren't really relevant, or shouldn't be. And, of course the dog can't answer, and if you ask Deckard about Deckard, Deckard can't really answer-he has his doubts about himself, perhaps.

LEONPROFF, enro99, Old Rusty and 2 others like this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Good thoughts above.
    I can add that Ford has always contended that Deckard is human, so his response in the movie can be another statement to that effect, ie ask the one who plays the character. Also it provides another ambiguous answer to the Deckard as replicant question.

The Revealer and cwd like this.
  15. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Well spoke! I'm for the wide open interpretation of 'K' as if the letter itself suggests a varied potential for identity.

Regarding Deckard's self-knowledge, I would take him at his word when he tells Wallace, "I know what's real." We can argue about it. He's certain. The dog might have some doubts, especially after some really good whiskey.

16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Interesting point-when he said that, he did not seem lock-solid, maybe trying to convince himself more than anyone else. And, how does he know? Further, he may "know" he's a replicant, for all we know, in that statement. I remember K said he knew what was real, I think, re: implanted memory from the Daughter.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So did anyone pick up on Robin Wright wanting to pull a workplace harassment on K? She's basically said she'd finish the bottle and did K want to get it on. I guess it's safe sex. No risk of pregnancy and no "emotional trama" going to transpire. So if Deckard was an android, wouldn't he be shooting blanks, too?

18. The Revealer

I more took that to be emotional jitters facing the uncertainty of Wallace's obvious nuttiness. I felt like his delivery was solid, but it's certainly open to interpretation. Just seems to me, it would be hard to pull off complete confidence under that duress.

19. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Point taken-It has been my experience in I have lost track of interviews and interrogations, a person certain of themselves on a contested issue, even if looking at severe consequences regardless, will look the inquisitor firmly in the face, clinging with vigor to that one thing over which they have control, even sometimes in futile defiance.

The Revealer likes this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not if he was engineered to be able to reproduce, like Rachael.

somnar and Ronnie Potchie like this.
  21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Yeah, I picked up on it...kinda hard to miss...

somnar and Ronnie Potchie like this.
  22. Ronnie Potchie

Ronnie Potchie Forum Resident

I think its fair to say that Luv was interested in a connection with K as well... at the least, seducing him at first.

Replicants are not droids,they are beings made of synthetic flesh and bones.
    If Deckard is a Replicant,he was designed to have a male reproductive system as stated above.
    If not,they produced a natural born / replicant hybrid.

The Revealer likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ah, but Rachel was a new model, and Deckard had already been out in the field for years.

The Revealer likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally saw the new Blade Runner 2049 and I thought it was sloppy and all over the place, plus it was very slow. I think if you cut :30 seconds out of every scene, that would be at least 25 minutes right there. I also think Harrison Ford was wasted and doesn't do a whole helluva lot. It's not an awful film, but not a good one, either. I'm once again astonished that any movie executives could greenlight this, then screen it and say, "yeah, this is gonna make tons of money." Definitely not what I would call a mass-market, audience-pleasing film.

I did think it was really beautiful throughout and enjoyed the lighting and color as much or more than I expected.

25. The Revealer

I think the real question is whether or not the daughter was kept in isolation because she really had a immune deficiency, or whether that was the safest place for her - right under everyone's noses. IF (and I ain't hopin') there is a sequel, I think the latter would be proven true and it might just take place Off World with the daughter of Rachel/Deckard on the run. Or at least, that's my fan fiction proposal....

LEONPROFF and rufus t firefly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.