New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Nope. It's Alternative Metal. Btw, SW never was a guitarist in a level that he could play Progressive Metal.

It's just a tag; the name of genre. Like e.g. "Symphonic rock" doesn't mean that that music is really symphonic, "alternative" is also just a tag in this case - a tag for the bands like Porcupine Tree, Jane's Addiction, Primus and so on. But on progarchives, Porcupine Tree were smuggled in the site's "Heavy Prog" category; since that addition, everybody who said that Porcupine Tree were Alt.Rock / Alt.Metal band, actually have been satanized by the army of PT fans on progarchives forum as those PT fans thought that the tag *progressive* means a badge of honor for their favourite band.

And I won't to debate about SW & Porcupine Tree nor about any other old Alt.Rock / Alt.Metal band in this thread anymore.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    jay.dee likes this.
  3. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

There are spots here and there that reminded me of them I still definitely think it's a prog record, no debate from me there. He has mentioned Radiohead before (not for that album specifically). I haven't listened to that one in a while, wi have to pop it back in.

HCE other than 2 songs is absolutely prog. I hear some Rush in there, you have the longer songs with the instrumental passages and time changes.

Honestly the only one I think you can argue is not prog is To the Bone

4. mikedifr0923

:biglaugh:He eventually got other guitarists to play with him on his solo stuff and to add solos and some leads.....either way guitar ability doesn't make something prog.

Good, don't debate.....because you can't. You're trying to rewrite history based on, I assume, your own taste, which is nuts. And that justification above is clearly the weirdest explanation of something I have ever heard.

They have absolutely nothing in common with Janes Addiction and next to nothing with Primus.

They were listed as heavy prog because that's what they are, prog. It has nothing to do with any badge of honor. That's the audience that followed his music from the time their audience started growing, because that's what Porcupine Tree became...Around the time of lightbulb sun was when I stated hearing about them. By prog fans. At prog shows. Passing out flyers to see them AT PROG SHOWS. Yes different from bands like Dream Theater, by still heavy prog and prog metal.

Just like Marillion is different from Rush, and ELP.

From Wilson himself regarding Signify ""...tracks like 'Every Home Is Wired' and 'Dark Matter' totally transcend both genre and comparison. Finally, I think we are making a completely original and 1990s form of music, but which still has its root in progressive music."[17]"

"PROGRESSIVE" music

He took the music in an original direction, but one that is still PROG! And this is why he is labeled as prog and always has been followed by prog fans because of that creativity and "art rock" approach. He is either prog or he is his own genre.

I think I am going to start labeling The Beatles a country band :D

Any album that has one song with a little rap to it is now a hip hop band

stax o' wax likes this.
  5. mikedifr0923

The alternative rock label is really ridiculous anymore. Yes it had its purpose at one point.....but by its definition, alternative rock would now be what used to be mainstream rock/metal.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Alternative rock was from the 80’s and followed after the punk movement (Bauhaus, Smiths, Cure, Violent Femmes, Pere Ubu, Swan, DEVO...).

I am not sure why someone would like to pigeonhole everyband in a precise genre and sub-genre. Bands and their music orientation are changing with time which make precise categorizing almost impossible. Opeth started as a death metal band and are nowadays heavily prog influenced. Genre and sub-genre are just indicators not definitive statements.

jay.dee and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. Norco74

I like Radiohead, they are very unique, blending many influences from Prog and 80’s alternative music.

TTB is still Prog in my book and more specifically crossover prog for what it worth. Yes more pop orientated but still, if you listen carefully, this is not your standard pop record and each song contains some prog influence. I like this album, it fits nicely aside the other 4 albums and 1/2.

8. mikedifr0923

Agreed. I know where it started, and I think it applied back then. With the way music is theses days where very little rock is mainstream it just doesn't make sense to me anymore. It's basically all "alternative" these days.

Opeth is a great example. Their last few albums they have clearly become a prog band.

And to me, prog rock is such a broad category that includes bands that really can't be pigeonholed into one, like Wilson and porcupine tree

Norco74 likes this.
  9. mikedifr0923

Completely agree. Was just saying that it's his only one you could argue is not.

I love it. The more I listen the more I discover. Which to me is very prog

10. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I know we are looking at new prog here but I just got a used copy of Mansun's Attack Of The Grey Lantern and, Holy cow! Fantastic. Is this out of print? What a shame. And it is new prog in a sense of how it sounds.
    I love the new Iamthemorning. Favorite Big Big Train is still English Electric Pt 2. Really digging Amplifier Tripping With Dr Faustus.
    Funny how in the beginning everyone would say, what the heck is this it sounds different and the answer was oh its a new kind of "progressive" rock. Incorporating more classical or symphonic elements, not only blues based. But now it is because the music sounds like the old progressive rock. No mater, the label is helpful for me to find music I like.

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Twilight, by Drifting Sun (progressive rock, full-lenght, physical CD available, released September 1, 2017, Chesham, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Summer Skies

12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Interesting debate on the Porcupine Tree's prog credentials. If we consider the (modern) "prog" tag as a reactionary rejection of (post-)punk revolution and the "alt" tag as its affirmative continuation, then the early Porcupine Tree definitely belonged to the second camp. They were aesthetically much closer to the art/psychedelic wing of the post-punk/alternative scene, think of David Sylvian, Talk Talk, Mercury Rev, Spiritualized, Six Organs of Admittance, etc, than to most neo/retro-prog bands of the 90s trying to revive the classic progressive rock, usually by paying tributes to the golden 70s era through the lens of the 80s AOR that grew out of it. At least I heard it so back in the day.

"In Absentia" changed the band's direction at the beginning of the 00s, bringing them closer to the classic rock/metal principles. Or more precisely to the production aesthetics of these subgenres, which always play(ed) a very important (if not decisive) role in that great divide.

Now with the demise of big studios and big budgets for rock productions almost every contemporary rock band is partly "classic" (as belonging to the bygone rock era) and partly "punk" (as making and producing the music on its own), which makes the old differences and animosities irrelevant and incomprehensible. Thus ProgArchives are slowly bound to become RockArchives, encompassing anything of lasting value in that historical genre. :)

Svetonio likes this.
  13. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I think you just turned me punk!

Svetonio likes this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

15. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

This, I can’t wait! As far as retro prog goes, it is on top on my list. Great band: playing on the way!

Svetonio likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Day 2, by Earthrise (symphonic rock, 6-track EP, released October 23, 2017, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Magic Waterfall

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

WILL, by Special Providence (progressive fusion / djent, full-length, released October 23, 2017, Budapest, Hungary)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Distant Knowledge

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

"GOOD", by Toehider (progressive metal, full-length, physical CD available, released October 19, 2017, Melbourne, Australia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Millions of Musketeers

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Flora and Fauna, by Sensei (progressive rock, 5-track debut EP, released October 25, 2017, Dayton, Ohio)

[​IMG]

Favourit track: Does Your Horse Have a Fire Alarm?

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

21. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

A little ELO and Ambrosia in there too

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Beyond lies the..., by wub (instrumental progressive metal, 4-track EP, released October 29, 2017, London, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Rama

23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

L'Albero Del Veleno Tale of a Dark Fate (instrumental symphonic / ambient rock, full-length, physical CD available, released October 31, 2017, Florence, Italy)

Tale of a Dark Fate, by L'Albero Del Veleno

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Morpheus

Norco74 likes this.
  24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

25. Norco74

Will be interesting to listen to the sophomore album! The first one was very good!

Svetonio likes this.