Bob Dylan Fall Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I've got decent seats for Shea's Theatre in Buffalo. It will be around the 20th time seeing Bob since 94'. Hoping for a good one in a fantastic venue. Last saw Bob play at Shea's Theatre in 05. I'll try to report back.

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

That was the Fall 1991 tour when he really turned things around with his live performances. Much of 1990-1991 was a haze on stage for him. Also, I hate to be a killjoy, but he didn't play "It's Alright Ma", but he did do the other three songs you mention (in a row, though not in album sequence).

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'll admit that I haven't paid much attention to Bob's live performances in a long time -- aside from some of the standout recordings that popped up or have been released officially from the early 2000s -- so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question. But I was blown away by Bob's tribute cover of "Learning to Fly" -- great singing, great control of his voice, sounding really pretty. I know that his vocals on the Sinatra albums were good (not that I've listened much :sigh:), but this clip really had me taken aback. Is this representative of how he's singing on his current tour? Because if it is, I need to re-think my assumption that I don't really need to see him live again...

4. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Hate to quote myself, but I got what I hoped for :cool:

Overall the show was excellent, the encore was just the cherry on top. Not a dry eye in the place, I know I welled up a bit. This was my 14th Dylan show since '78 and the first one I have seen in the Sinatra era. I really like the recent covers lps, but wasn't sure how the material would stand up live. At times, I felt like I was in a scene from a David Lynch movie during the Sinatra numbers, kind of surreal. I think the reason Dylan pulls it off so well, is the band. They are just fantastic on these numbers, such a great band.

Mavis Staples was a fun time as well. Great night in Broomfield!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    RMB77, RockRoom, adamos and 5 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Does Bob acknowledge Mavis in any way?

6. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

No, if so I don't remember, actually I don't believe Dylan addressed the crowd at all?
    Mavis sure mentioned Bob though.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks.

8. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Going to the Wednesday show in St. Paul, this will be my 4th Bob show, can't wait. His voice sounds better than it has in a long time, and I'm glad to see a few new songs on the setlist.

9. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

Musta been that Petty cover!

10. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

See what just adding ONE song can do (Learning to Fly)? Adds (more) excitement to the thought of going to see him again. Bob CAN change the setlist and should IMO even one or two more songs would make a huge difference. I believe you'll see a few more changes coming up as well on this tour to sell more tickets. He doesn't have to "change things up nightly" as you suggest, just a onesy-twosie type of thing.

11. John Rhett Thomas

Is Bob having trouble selling tickets? Where has this been established? I also think it's an unfair comparison to make between a Tom Petty tribute and swapping out "Highway 61" with "Stuck Inside of Mobile" on alternating days. Yeah, the Tom Petty tribute makes me a bit more enthusiastic than I already was (if it stays in the setlist), but I do think that's quite the special case.

12. Dan33185

I'd be shocked if he ever plays that song again, that was a one time thing more than likely.

The Bard likes this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Either that or he'll play it in every show for the next five years.
    :)

majorlance, Dan33185 and mark ab like this.
  14. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

It's called SCALPING. Bob is playing mostly small venues where if scalpers buy 1500 tickets it's almost half the venue. In my area, there are many many already showing up as "verified resale tickets" and they're NOT that much higher (at this point) in price than face value, and we'll see if the resale prices hold, rise, or fall. People are leaving the shows in droves. Reality check for the Bobster: change or play to no one. It's really up to Bob.

15. Dan33185

Or that...I'd be ok with that though. Would be cool if he'd throw in a Petty or Traveling Wilbury's song every night this tour.

mark ab likes this.
  16. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

He did not play it in Omaha last night.
    The guy who sat next to me from KC said before the show he did not expect it, as it was done in Denver for Petty's birthday.

17. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Unbelievable...it was a TWO minute version of Learning to Fly and he keeps the Sinatra stuff in and takes this out. :thumbsdow

18. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see the "Before the Flood" tour as a kid, a few other Bob shows in between, and will (hopefully) be at the Tower Philly shows, but you have to approach your expectations realistically. Leonard Cohen was a different story, because I had never seen him before his "comeback" tour -- he was wonderful btw , age suited him -- he always seemed old to me anyway.

19. John Rhett Thomas

I don't follow you. Bob's been doing 80-100 shows a year for about three decades now. When was it that scalpers started subsidizing his touring habits? When has it been substantiated that so many seats are going unfilled that it could rationally be said that "people are leaving in droves"? I went to a show last year in Baton Rouge, at the 2000-seat River Center. Seemed to me the place was packed. Everybody seemed to go away happy. My friend who went with me who hadn't seen Bob in years remarked that it was probably the best paced Dylan show he'd ever seen.

I totally get that the rigid formula of his setlists comes as a disappointment to some, if not many, of Bob's most hardcore fans. But I don't see where he has to "change" his way of doing things or forfeit his ability to draw a crowd. I think that's silly.

Bob's singing voice is in pretty good shape currently and he's got a great band and his setlist is slap full of great material. That's all it takes to keep people coming out to see a 76-year-old man who is arguably the most important popular musician the world will ever know. Should his voice fall off a cliff like George Jones' did not long before he passed away then that may change things.

Sean Murdock and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

People weren't "leaving shows in droves" at any of the half-dozen ones I've been to in the past few years. Why in the world would they? Dylan's performances have been either erratic or sporadically brilliant (take your pick) at pretty much the same level for the past 25 years. Anyone who'd actually expect him to sound like he did in the '70s would have to be a tiny fraction of the audience.

Scalping/resale happens because his shows are Live Nation shows.

Galactus2 likes this.
  21. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Can't speak for other cities, but there were plenty of good seats available for the 2nd Philly show last time I checked.

savemenow likes this.
  22. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

"Anyone who'd actually expect him to sound like he did in the '70s" Where did I say this? Are you reading reviews of the current shows? I think not. The show I saw in 2016 (much the same as this current show) I would estimate 20% of the audience bolted before the encore. Just check stubhub, tons of tickets available. Scalping or original purchasers reading bad reviews and dumping their tickets?...I'll let you decide

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Except for the rare "club" shows (500-1,000 capacity venues where the crowd was 99.9% diehards), walkouts have been a regular feature of almost all of the 50 shows I've seen on the Never Ending Tour since 1988. Fact.

When friends (or more often, their kids) express interest in attending a Dylan show after discovering the 60s/70s classics, I always tell them to check out some recent shows on YouTube first, just so they know what they're getting into. Not one has actually gone ahead & bought a ticket. Not one.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

My belief is that there's no real reason to think the touring life Bob has settled into in the last however many years is on the kind of decline that will require him to drastically change. As long as he keeps singing straight he'll keep doing what he's doing. And he's 76 and I'm not going to begrudge him for doing only what he wants to do from here on out.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  25. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Best post ever. F complaining people.

The Bard and Bemagnus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.