A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Now that's the spirit. I'm still going through the big Floyd box.

deredordica and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

After being schooled on DSOTM,Animals,WYWH and the Wall it did absolutely nothing for me on its release.

3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not even the oars?

Max Florian and The Revealer like this.
  4. Lyrically, I wouldn't argue with you but musically....

moodyxadi and 24voltsdc like this.
  5. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Not even the oars.

6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I enjoy it. About 3/4 of it. On the Turning Away and Learning to Fly are two of my favorite Floyd songs.....I rank Division Bell higher which I love more than most, but still love AMLOR

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

AMLOR does have that big 80''s quality to it. Like the 80's quality or not it does add it's own uniqueness to the album.

LarsO likes this.
  8. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Agreed. A Floyd album for the times. My only misgiving is the out of place sax solo in Terminal Frost.

mastaflatch and driverdrummer like this.
  9. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

It’s a great album!

OptimisticGoat and The Revealer like this.
  10. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Yeah that solo is a little too "New Age" for me.

moodyxadi likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yes, it sounds dated because It's a product of its time. I like the 80's production on this album, as it feels like an old friend coming to visit when I give it a listen. I bought this album when I was a freshman in college, and it stayed by my side the entire 4 years.

12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I’m definitely more of a Gilmour person than a Waters person, but I still never really cared for AMLOR. It doesn’t sound like Pink Floyd, and most of the songs are unremarkable IMO. “Learning to Fly” and “On the Turning Away” are very good songs when viewed outside of the context of previous Pink Floyd material. If it means anything, this is coming from someone who likes The Final Cut and The Division Bell.

13. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Personally, I really like AMLOR. The Dogs Of War is the only track I don't care for, and often skip when listening to this album. The rest is pretty solid. Side 2 is especially strong, with Yet Another Movie, Terminal Frost, and Sorrow being the standout tracks for me. While obviously being in a very different style to previous Pink Floyd albums, and also having rather 'of the time' production, the album has a certain charm. The release of David Gilmour's new live album, Live at Pompeii, which features a new version of Sorrow, has left me thinking about the production of the original album. While I completely agree with those who say it is rather eighties (it is, lets be honest!), somehow it adds to the album in a strange kind of way. The version of Sorrow on Live at Pompeii is fantastic, the guitar solo especially. However, the song isn't quite the same without the reverb soaked synthesised drums and programmed bass line - there's nothing wrong with the acoustic drums and bass guitar backing of the live version, just every time I hear the live version I long for original studio recording, eighties production and all...

moodyxadi likes this.
  14. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

Radio Kaos suffer much more the 80's production sound than AMLOR.

15. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a David Gilmour solo album in the same way that The Final Cut is a Roger Waters solo album. The album was being recorded when the reconciliation with Rick and Nick came about, and consequently, neither are prominently featured on the record. Rick Wright wasn't even credited as a member of Pink Floyd on the original release.

Having said all that, I love Momentary Lapse for what it is: a overproduced, under written, but expertly performed collection of musical ideas. I think Roger was definitely a better lyricist than David. David, on the other hand, probably has the edge when it comes to making musical ideas. Roger's musical ideas are more repetitive and simple, generally.

On a side note, I am a fan of the Shine On version.

16. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Unfortunately that is not true.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

How is the new reissue of AMLOR?

18. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Oh, it must have been someone else, then.

19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Or you just never listened to the album.

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Wouldn't Sound out of place on a Bryan Ferry album.

4_everyman likes this.
  21. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I believe on top of 'talking with his guitar', Gilmour took the lead vocal on all of the songs, and some of the actual lyric writing credit. So, he also had things to vocally say. I find thematic consistency in this album, others may not. I think you'll always find some who love what others hate. It's not a reflection of inherent quality as much as preference. I can't stand Waters from TFC on, but I wouldn't think to bash his talent. I'm fine with others finding value in what he does.

22. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

At the age of 17 I was not very deep into Floyd when it was released. I saw Supertramp the year before on my first big rock concert ever supporting their then recent album Brother Where You Bound which I adore ever since and which I think has some similarity to Momentary Lapse with all the spoken words and the overall production. Gilmour has an appearance on that album as well and had that gorgeous collaboration with Pete Townshend on the White City album playing that “very interesting guitar riff” on Give Blood.

Gilmour was looking into different directions in those days right after Pink Floyd broke apart leaving all members behind kind of disoriented I guess. For me it is clear that those excursions and contributions to other artists works had some influence making this album sound different compared to earlier Floyd albums not at least because many other artists contributed to it. But I can enjoy those different flavors very much.

The first listen to Learning To Fly was on the radio and I liked it instantaneously, thought it would be very floydish, more than anything I knew from the valued KAOS album that was released a little earlier the same year. What made me a huge Floyd fan is not so much the album itself but the consequent tour which I witnessed at three occasions building up my deep passion for this band and the urge to lean playing the guitar and start a band. I prefer listening to A Momentary Lapse rather than Delicate Sound Of Thunder to bring back the mood of those days. – That is how this album opened my door to Pink Floyd.

There are one or two weak points on side one of the album to which I would count Dogs Of War and One Slip. I like Signs Of Live. It was great to see the live performances of that song. And I was lucky enough to see Richie Havens performing On The Turning Away on a small open air festival back in 1997. A very special moment.

Not my most frequently listen but I love the album!

Runicen, zinan and Fishoutofwater like this.
  23. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I am in these camps. My first Floyd album and still my favourite. I hear the usual criticisms of whether it is a band album or whether it was sacrilege to carry on after a key member left. Who cares? It is what it is. It does not have to tick some pre-defined box to be a Pink Floyd album. I don't agree that there has been a stronger album under the Pink Floyd name released since (although I am prepared to give Division Bell another listen or two). I would also say that it towers over anything original that Roger Waters has done post Floyd for listen-ability. Plus, Learning to Fly and On The Turning Away are in the top echelon of Floyd singles.

24. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I love AMLOR, It holds up very well. I love the very dark atmosphere of the album that always reminds me of Fall. I know it was a hodge podge type album but I think it turned out great and I like it a lot more than Divison bell or The final Cut.

I think it also compares very well with animals as far as really good Dark Floyd Albums

cageyc and applejam101 like this.
  25. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Yea it doesn't sound dated to me at all, Radio Kaos sounds REALLY dated but not AMLOR.

The Revealer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.