Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, May 23, 2016.

1. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Which of these are reissues of actual 5.1 mixes?

I'd be interested in these but have no interest in stereo sacd's where no one knows who did the mastering or if its an improvement.

Scanning the thread I think Carole king 'tapestry'and some billy Joel contain 'classic' 5.1 mixes but what else?

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It's the track listing that follows the Japanese special edition. Have no idea how it sounds yet.

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Celine Dion

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Nope. On the other hand, you never know what gets released on SACD.

For example, the soundtrack to "My Blueberry Nights" was released by HK Universal Music on SACD last year, as part of a multi soundtrack reissue program, on SACD and vinyl, for director Wong Kar-wai. "My Blueberry Nights" was the first starring role for Norah Jones and the soundtrack featured new music from her. If you're a Norah Jones completist....

WAI,WONG KAR My Blueberry Nights (2007) (Original Soundtrack) [Import] Remastered, Hong Kong - Import on ImportCDs

6. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming.

I''ll admit to having bought some albums just because there's a multi channel mix but unless someone tells me this is the best 5.1 mix ever and was done by Scheiner, Wilson and Guthrie together, I may have to pass :)

7. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Long-delayed Comparison Test

"Nothing wrong with 16-bit mastering" -- Claus

If I would have only an original Virgin CD and would look at these DR numbers, I could come to conclusion:
    I don't need new 2003 remaster CD. My old CD has better dynamic range and thus, sounds better.
    Is it?

I reviewed (Post #319) all 3 'Japan' (band) albums. Here is what I said about one of them:

I started with Gentlemen Take Polaroids.
    The sound was very open and clear with deep soundstage, airiness and good separation between instruments; bass was deep and speedy; very good dynamics and crank-ability - everything remind me my SHM-SACDs. So, was brightness of the trebles (like in the flat transferred SHM-SACD) there? Yes, it was - in vocal, more or less vary from track to track
    Overall it was uplifting experience to listen to this album.

There was some doubts about 2003 remaster as being somewhat compressed. However, SACD was not... To me it sounded like flat transfer from master tape, and I decided to buy 2003 remaster to compare. I couldn't get Japan Mini LP SHM-CD version, but Jewel case 2006 Japan SHM-CD with 2003 remaster. Also, I ordered Japanese original CD, but they send me UK version. (It has a good dynamic range numbers).

'Japan' Gentlemen Take Polaroids Universal HK Hybrid SACD (copy # 0798) vs. 2006 Japan SHM-CD (w/2003 Rem.) vs. 1984 Virgin UK CD (CDV 2180)

I started from Track #2 Swing the original CD (DR11). My Carry 360 Pro player (w/upsampling DAC up to 1060 Hz) is able to squeeze a lot of hidden info from the old disc, and it happened. The old disc showed a strong bass and the ability to play very loudly. Trebles, however, were annoyingly bright in the vocal parts.
    Comparably to SHM-CD (DR11?), it was a flat sound with a narrow soundstage, a weak separation between the instruments and (albeit a strong) slightly muffled bass.
    And just the opposite, 2006 (SHM version) 2003 24-bit remaster brought airiness, a deep soundstage, good separation and overall the clarity of sound; the bass was fast and clean. Brightness in the trebles was still there, but not so much.

On top of this, sound was more detailed, thanks to Mr. John Punter, who not only did good job on the remastering, but also made 2003 Remix lifting many detail.
    For instance, Track #3 "Burning Bridges" began with the sound of a flying chopper. In the original disc the chopper was flew far away, while in 2003 mix he moved around the room.

Now, after comparison, I can definitely say that SACD is based on the 2003 remaster, because they sounded very identical.

Comparably to SHM-CD, SACD sounded warmer, smoother and clearer throughout the spectrum. And, I believe, this is not the only Hi-Res DSD technology, but also a very limited pressing, using updated equipment (two discs are standing 10 years apart).

Very revealing for bass performance was Track #6 "Ain't that Peculiar", which which began with powerful bass drums.

They were very good in original CD, but in 2006 SHM-CD drums were more punchy.
    I cranked the volume:
    Original disc CDV 2180 (DR13) went very far in volume; bass drums were kicking from the front very hard for a first 40 sec. until vocal appeared. The glare in the trebles was so bad that I have to go down in volume.

2006 SHM-CD (DR9 for 2003 non-SHM): at the very high volume bass had immediate appearance, surrounding you and kicking in front and behind. Nevertheless, the brightness of the vocals (although less) pushed me to go lower in the volume anyway.

SACD (DR9) at a high volume level was similar to the presence of SHM, but it also had more tight, denser sound and more smooth. Again, due to the brightness in vocals I could not enjoy such a nice dynamic track in full blow like I do with my best SACDs, and I rated it as "Very Good", but not "The Best".

Track #7 "Nightporter" is a very nice and melancholic song that began with a solo piano in a low register, and then the sad voice also on the low side joined.
    Original CD (DR11): the piano was pretty good, I'd say; vocal had brightness but not so badly. A little harshness appeared in the end (35 sec.), in its peak power. I cranked the volume, but I couldn't go much (at the pick power).

SHM-CD (DR11 for 2003 non-SHM): the same piano sounded more accurate and 3-dementional. The harshness in the end was the same like on the original CD.

In SACD (DR11) piano and vocal were more smooth with more natural timber. That harshness in the end was a tad smoothed off, but I still could not get up in volume anyway.

Don't go through all tracks, I can say:
    Despite the fact that 2003 remastering of Japan "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" has its shortcomings, sounding on the bright side, it does not have any compression in the sound.
    The transition in sound quality in the 24-bit mastering, exceeds the 16-bit master, having even smaller dynamic range numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

varitone, art, mono.edition and 4 others like this.
  8. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

So I assume the new SACD releases of Billy Joel The Stranger and Celine Dion A Decade in Song are just direct re-issues of the original OOP SACDs?

UPDATE Went back several pages and got my answer that they appear to be the same exact discs down to the release year listed.

Which is cool I wouldn't ever expected them to re-issue these at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing them release Cyndi Lauper She' So Unusual in an upcoming batch if they plan on anymore direct re-issues. Although I've been told it isn't anything special... in fact the Mo Fi Vinyl release I would expect to be better than the SACD ...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    MikeJedi and toilet_doctor like this.
  9. toilet_doctor

Series will go on, if Sony see demand. So far it slowed down. I'd proceed with the most popular titles to attract more people and then inject quietly the rest... but it's me...

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have the SACD but I prefer the original Portrait CD.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Would be great if Sony HK does Michael Jackson re press SACD!! I would jump on it in a heartbeat !!! ;) here's hoping this year !!

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Really silly prices for the Thriller SACD on eBay at the moment. I managed to get it for about £65, which is far too much but I’m glad I picked it up when I did.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The Portrait CD is excellent.

Though I’d still like the SACD to compare it to.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Love the new avatar, Bobby!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Now that Universal Music owns the catalogue of Virgin records it would be nice to get some nice audiophile quality releases on SHM-SACD and SHM-CD. I got the Gattaca soundtrack by Michael Nyman a month ago and it even wasn't SHM-CD.

Jarleboy and scobb like this.
  16. I can see by the pictures that Universal Music seems to have abandoned SHM-SACD manufacturing, the discs don't have the usual green paint on the label side and once of the SACDs is a hybrid, SHM-SACDs never are. I never believed SHM-SACDs were nothing special, just regular SACD's that are not more scratch resistant than "regular" SACDs. I got Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow over two years ago and it had a couple of small fingerprints. I tried to clean them with a microfibre cloth and it got a couple of scratches easily, as easy as any other SACD. If I could choose who is to manufacture my SACDs I'd go with Sony's DADC in Austria. Audio Fidelity's and Analogue Productions' SACDs are made by Sony's DADC in Austria and they use to be spotless. Does Sony still has a SACD manufacturing plant in Japan? I think they do or used to until a few years ago as my Warner Music's SACDs of Hotel California and Foreigner S/T look like Sony discs.
    If Universal Music is releasing Virgin Record's SACDs I hope they re-release Michael Nyman's The Piano soundtrack, one can dream... Another dream come true would be Michael Nyman's Gattaca soundtrack on SACD, it's only been released on CD which has always sounded bright for my taste. Some kind of Hi Res master must exist for this soundtrack as it was recorded and mixed at Sony Scoring Stage in Culver City, which already had 24 bit recorders at the time. The Soundtrack for Independence Day was partially recorded there and fully mixed down also and the mix was done at 24 bit resolution. in 1998 the soundtrack for Deep Impact was recorded and mixed there and it's a full 24 bit recording. That means that most likely some kind of Hi Res equipment was used to record or mix the Gattaca soundtrack so it would make sense to release it on SACD, the only problem is that I think that I would be the only one to buy it. The soundtrack for E.T. was remixed in stereo and 5.1 (by Universal Music) for the 20th Anniversary and released as a Stereo/Multichannel Hybrid SACD. Who bought this release? Me, I did, I actually bought three units of this SACD, one for current listening, a second one as this being my favourite soundtrack I became paranoid if this SACD got damaged in any way, and a couple of years later, 2004 or 2005 at a clearence I goth a third unit for 6 or 8 $. I've only opened my first copy,the other two remain factory sealed. I've been tempted to open one of the copies to see if it was also made by Sonopress, in Germany I think (but it's a US release) or if maybe some copies were made by Sony. Anyway, I'm sure this release didn't do any money, remixing both in stereo and 5.1, do the SACD authoring and manufacturing the discs for a soundtrack that not many people listen to (E.T. soundtrack is not Star Wars) in a format that not many people bought. Weird...

17. toilet_doctor

They did it in Dec. 2015 together w/The Cook... It's gone, but you should hunt on eBay for a good copy. I know The Cook was released with UPC: 600753660546 - 100%, but I don't have correct UPC for The Piano.

Here it is: 724381126622
    Michael Nyman - The Piano

P.S.
    The strange thing is: the same bar-code is for the 2003 SACD.
    Is 2015 SACD a reprint of 2003? Who can tell?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

SHM-SACDs are still being manufactured and released. Just not pop/rock titles.

SACDs are still being manufactured by Sony in Japan. Just not titles that are of interest to this forum.

SACD of "The Piano" was pressed in Japan by Sony....only 1,000 units were pressed.

[​IMG]

19. I have to get one of those The Piano HK SACD, best if new and factory sealed. Is there a good and reliable on line shop to buy HK CDs and SACDs?

20. toilet_doctor likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I wonder what the chances are we will see a HK Michael Jackson SACD re-issue? :)

Kiko1974 likes this.
  22. Maybe the Michael Jackson State has a say on what's reissued and what isn't, even if it's a mastering done 19 years ago.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Another - and less of a possibly infinite wait - is the DSD or 24/176 PCM download for $20 or so. Same master.

24. I honestly think the person charged with the graphic design for these SACDs simply pulled the latest available artwork for many of them. So I wouldn't put much stock in the information listed on the back of each SACD.

Kiko1974 and toilet_doctor like this.
  25. On the case of The Piano SACD the artwork looks exactely the same as the European remastered CD but adapted tofin in a Super Jewel Case.