Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Hope it will continue with Dons Hickory recordings:

2. Svein Arne

Here is a video with Hanks son telling about Hank.Interesting.

3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

And he often makes it a point to point out that Bear Family was misleading the consumer by stating that the BF Reeves set contains ALL of Jim's recordings. He then cites his releases of Reeves material as proof that BF didn't have all of Reeves's recordings in their possession.

So, the question is: why did not Bear Family get a hold of, and release, ALL Jim Reeves material?

melstapler likes this.
  4. I'd bet that set is a bunch of public domain needledrops. It's an import set from the UK, where all the songs are in the public domain. I haven't personally heard it but that is reasonable speculation.

GodBlessTinyTim and Kkfan like this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Considering it was reissued on Koch, I'm guessing those songs were recorded for Little Darlin'?

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  6. rod

rod Senior Member

It was 1 of 12 gold CD samplers issued on "The Bear" label in 1995. All of the tracks were available on Bear Family CDs back then.

The tracks on this one are:
    Country Music - Michael Ballew 1978
    Got No Bread, No Milk, No Money - James Talley 1974
    Brand New Shade Of Red - Billy Stone 1985
    My Mother Was A Lady - Tompall Glaser 1977
    Merlin And The Cowboy - Lesley Schatz 1992
    Desperados Waiting For The Rain - Texas Lone Star 1977
    Me And Bobby McGee - Bobby Bare 1971
    Sylvia's Mother - Bobby Bare 1974
    Good Hearted Woman - Texas Lone Star 1977
    Back To Your Arms - Lesley Schatz 1992
    Duncan And Brady - Tompall Glaser 1977
    The Last Dallas Cowboy - Billy Stone 1993
    Are They Gonna Make Us Outlaws Again - James Talley 1976
    Your Daddy Don't Live In Heaven - Michael Ballew 1982
    When The Fiddler Packs His Case It's All Over - James Talley 1977

The CDs in the series:
    ECD 601-AG: Blue Train
    ECD 602-AG: Dark Moon
    ECD 603-AG: Streets Of Laredo
    ECD 604-AG: When The Fiddler Packs His Case It's All Over
    ECD 605-AG: Great Shakin' Fever
    ECD 606-AG: Whole Lotta Woman
    ECD 607-AG: Rockin' Rhonda
    ECD 608-AG: Strangers In The Night - Rock 'N' Roll Instrumentals
    ECD 609-AG: Kansas City - Rhythm & Blues Classics
    ECD 610-AG: Let The Jukebox Keep On Playing
    ECD 611-AG: Ramblin' Boy
    ECD 612-AG: Come In Stranger

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

If only RWA can release a final box set including Don Gibson's Hickory output in addition to what's in the vaults from his final sessions with Chet Atkins from the 1980s.

Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  8. melstapler

What are some good compilations containing some of the demos/outtakes Jim Reeves recorded before his death and without the added overdubs? Apparently some artists record after their deaths..:D

Kkfan and Steve...O like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In my head, I can sing just like many of my favorite singers. I do songs they never recorded that way.

10. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I just found out this weekend that Tommy Collins (aka Leonard Sipes) and my paternal grandfather were first cousins, so we share a grandfather (2X Great grandfather in my case. No one in my family had any idea. Pretty cool! Went on Amazon and bought "Buck Owens Sings Tommy Collins".

11. Svein Arne

12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Coming Soon

13. melstapler

How neat! That makes sense as Tommy Collins or should I say Leonard was from OK. The Bear Family box and 1CD comp are excellent and there is also an enjoyable 1CD on the Gusto label which focuses on his 70s recordings on Starday.

side3 likes this.
  14. melstapler

Although history is important, I always thought that Bear Family were mostly known for their artist-focused box sets and it saddens me to think those days have come to an end. However, this Korea box set looks interesting, especially the interview with Frankie Miller. I've seen Frankie perform several times and he still participates in many of the Heart Of Texas events. His live shows are incredible and the stories Frankie tells are just as entertaining as the music.

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

There are so many artists they could tackle still even if Richard is not directly involved.
    A major blow losing the 'Patsy' box, to think all the work that was put into it, and it's sitting on the shelf.
    The biggest disappointment in my mind, and a huge loss to a woman that needs it.
    I'm glad to have some of the BF collection, not as much as I'd like, but thankfully it's out there
    preserved in somebody's collection for another generation.

16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thinking about the Patsy Cline set. I wonder how many other sets that they've gotten to completion and then have to mothball it? I'd love to know how many collections are sitting at 90%-95% complete, but has hit a roadblock. I seem to recall that the first Ricky Nelson set took twenty years or some huge amount of time to be completed, but Richard wanted it done right.

17. Rick Bartlett

Great and Wonderful that 'Ricky' set. One I proudly own :)

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  18. rod

rod Senior Member

I think there was a Nancy Sinatra box ready until Nancy decided she didn't want a few songs included.

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  19. Svein Arne

Something about the 16 cd box by Jim Reeves:
    mystery solved
    I am so lucky to have this one.:pineapple::tiphat:

20. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I will definitely check those out! It is weird Tommy comes from Oklahoma. His mother was from Texas, which is where my great-grandfather was also born. My Grandfather and Tommy likely never met. My Great-Grandfather died when my grandfather was only three. By the time Tommy was born in 1930, my grandfather had already ran away from home to escape an abusive step-father. My Granddad may have heard Tommy on the radio (or his songs) and never known he was kin. He died in 1969 at 54, so I will never know.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

and another daily bump for the great 'Roger Miller'.... Bear you hear me?

22. Rick Bartlett

what do you guys know about Jimmie Colvard the guitarist?
    I can find very little about him online. He played the guitar on Dave Dudley's
    'six days on the road', and from all I can find is that he ended up shooting himself.
    What a great musician, check out his pickin' on 'yakety axe' at 7.00 minutes in:

melstapler and Front 242 Addict like this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great that he's still performing; that's a career exceeding 65 years now. All I have by Miller is his early work for 4-Star and Columbia, which is nice even if he had yet to really develop his own style. Need to pick up BF's set of his Starday recordings some time.

24. Svein Arne

Roger Miller Museum - Historic Route 66 - Erick, Oklahoma

melstapler likes this.
  25. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.