Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

The best executed Halloween cover, IMO. The rest are fun but have a more you-had-to-be-there vibe. Actually, since you didn't ask, my overall ranking is as follows:

1. Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House
    2. Remain in the Light
    3. Loaded
    4. Waiting for Columbus
    5. Loaded
    6. Exile on Main St.
    7. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
    8. Quadrophenia
    9. The Beatles
    10. Wingsuit

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Campus Club, Providence, RI, November 1991. Trey with buzzcut and sleeveless tshirt. Have fun!

Set one.

3. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Wow, Loaded so good it ranks twice!

5. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

That's funny. I meant to put it at 3rd. Maybe I'd rank the bonus material from the 30th that high?

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice! I wasn't in town for that one, but caught the earlier show at the Campus Club that Spring on Page's birthday. Power outage. Trey throwing himself into the drum kit Kurt Cobain style during Big Black Furry Creature From Mars... a fun and crazy show.

7. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Rift --- still behind Junta - but such a fun record.

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Playing the Loaded show right now, sounds great.

jay.dee, Crispy Rob and jdrueke like this.
  9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Now I’m on to Waiting for Columbus. I like Remain in Light and Loaded better but this is good too.

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I also thought DSOTM should be included in the Halloween ranking. Possibly the greatest trick the band has ever pulled on the audience. So you aren’t going to come see us in Utah? Lol

11. zakyfarms

12. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Please tell me how Harry Hood sounds on vinyl.

13. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Harry Hood would sound good on a crystal set..... sorry. But it would!

14. zakyfarms

The whole set sounds pretty great to me, but I'm not comparing it to the original CD set, which I haven't listened to in many years.
    Flawless pressing. Not a pop or click to be heard.

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Exile on Main St. musical costume today for Halloween. Not one of my favorites but some of the renditions are pretty good.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Mike Dow likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

As much as I'd rather be seeing Phish, I'll be seeing Trey Friday and Sat. Not convinced at this point that I need to see two nights, but I'm sure once I get into the flow of things...

17. zakyfarms

I’ll be at those shows as well. Was originally only going to go on Saturday, but well, why the hell not do both?

Truthfully, I’m more excited about the Mike shows in February.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I saw the Independent listing. I can't say I'm into a Mike show though. Not that I've ever seen one. I saw Page solo at the Fillmore and I left after seven songs. Was not feeling it.

19. zakyfarms

I just think Mike’s band is more creative and interesting than Trey’s. I’ve seen Mike 3 or 4 times, and at least one time was truly exceptional. Trey shows are more just straightforward. Can still be fun though.

I also didn’t love the Vida Blue show @ the Fillmore.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have a conflict Saturday but will be at Friday. My only Phish-related show of the year, since Phish didn't bother with the Bay Area this year and travelling to shows didn't work out for various reasons. I've never had an interest in seeing Mike solo but am a bit more intrigued after your comment, @zakyfarms. I've never heard any of Mike's solo albums or recordings of his shows, either.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Is Scott Muraswki part of Mike's touring band? I used to see him with Max Creek at the Living Room in Providence in the late '80's - same place I saw Phish for the first two times, in fact. Max Creek had a gig there the same night every week. There was a mini-GD parking lot outside with nitrous tanks and everything, which was kind of hilarious (I guess in more ways than one, since we are talking about laughing gas). [Edit: no falafel mafia though, although knowing Providence in those days, the Buddy Cianci era, and probably still, I am sure the reason the nitrous was there and the cops let it go was the real mafia.]

22. zakyfarms

Well, you can always download a Mike show and decide for yourself if it's for you. His band isn't as popular as Trey's, so my opinion seems to be in the minority.

23. zakyfarms

yep. from Mike's website:

Unlike previous “projects,” the goal was to put together a band that would be in it for the long haul.

It was really guitarist and longtime collaborator Scott Murawski and Mike together searching the nooks and crannies of this land for players to complete this outfit. Scott can rip guitar to no end, and he belts out with the kind of voice that at once sounds like your best friend and like the deep backwoods soul and grit of a true American hobo hero, too cool to talk in normal small-talk.

Mike’s band also includes percussion/n’goni/programmer Craig Myers, as well as organ & synth-master Robert Walter and sharp-shooter John Kimock on drums.

johnnystrings likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've seen Robert Walter with the Greyboy All-Stars and Robert Walter's 20th Congress, that guy can play. Had no idea he was in Mike's band - more and more intriguing.

25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Missed opportunity in this post for a cheesy repurposing of “the trick was to surrender to the flow” :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    wavethatflag likes this.