Green Acres: The Complete Series due from Shout! on Oct. 17th, 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YEA, TAKE a short cut and charge high prices...nice, but there is no alternative...and when they do release a BR TV show they charge astronomical prices...

2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It's the best price for it now, (eBay, Amazon). I don't shop at Amazon and pretty soon all the Chinese Counterfeits will show up on eBay so this was a fair price for me. I also did not purchase series 1-3, waiting (patiently) for the complete box set.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  4. I just compared the first episode of season three (The Man For The Job) and - while the source files seems to be the same (episodes are the exact same length and dirt, specks and other video anomalies are identical), the image on the new set looks slightly darker. The easiest comparison between the two sets is to look at Oliver's suit - in the new set, it looks charcoal grey whereas in the previous set it looks like a medium/light grey. I did this viewing on my Benq 24" PC monitor and ran the episodes side-by-side. Caveat - I had to use VLC for playback of the new set and MPC-HC for the previous set as I was unable to open up two different sessions of VLC simultaneously. Could the software change the coloring? While I doubt it I can't say for certain.

Edit: I just reversed the process playing the discs in the opposite software and the results were the same as above.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yep, got it at Walmart for 70 bucks. Haven't watched it yet as I'm still going through my Gilligan's Island single-sided box set I got from Best Buy for 25 bucks. Take that Amazon! Nothing yet beats the $15 I paid for the complete and unopened Twilight Zone DVD box I scored at a used book shop. Someone wasn't paying attention!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I also scored Daredevil season 2 on Bluray for $19.96 at Walmart but never did see season 1 for sale there.

7. Michael

nice price on the TZ, but the BR is incredible! no comparison...

longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  8. Michael

me too, but I'm holding back...we may see great pricing around the Holiday's...

audiomixer likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I bought the three individual seasons as they were released all those years ago, not thinking they'd stop at the third season... I wouldn't have had the patience to wait 13 years for the complete set. :)

10. Grand_Ennui

They released "Gilligan's Island" on single sided DVDs? I thought they only did the double sided sets (like I purchased upon release).

Great score on the "Twilight Zone" series: Is it in the big plastic case with 2 DVDs on each side of the plastic "pages"? I ask because the complete "TZ" series set I bought at Walmart (for $49.96) is packaged that way...

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Try Best Buy for the GI box set. There may be 2 of them in circulation but the one you want is the 17 disc collection. My TZ box is black with silver/white lettering and has 5 individual cases for each season with 3 plastic dividers holding 2 discs on either side. It comes from Image and has a total of 28 discs.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Thanks for the tip about "Gilligan's Island": Since I already own the complete series, I'm not in a big rush to buy the version you own, but if I come across it at the right price, I'll be picking it up...

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If the one you have works for you, I'd spend the money elsewhere. My double-sided GI discs froze or refused to play certain episodes. Have had no such issues with the single-sided ones. While we're on the subject of good scores, I picked up The Dick Van Dyke complete series on Bluray a couple of years ago for $45.

Grand_Ennui and Benno123 like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Ditto, I thought I paid $53 for my Dick Van Dyke on blu set but a few weeks ago I ran across the email from the order. I must have printed it for some reason I don’t remember now — $35!!! What a steal!!!

Manapua likes this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That's how it was with Shout!'s Barney Miller all-in-one-- first three seasons' worth (spring 1975-1977) being the same as the original Sony seasonal releases, menus included; starting with the fourth go (1977-78) and continuing through the end of the series, there was a different menu design that incorporated the squad room door for the front menu, and the duty roster blackboard for the episode menu.

As, again, what was done with Barney Miller, and also w/The Bob Newhart Show, in that the second through fourth seasons' worth (1973-76) of the latter had all the bonuses (documentaries, et al.) that were on the original seasonal double releases (double-sided) from Fox Home Entertainment (there was also a bonus disc with more assorted bonuses).

16. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I'm happy with the set. Shout Factory does the best they can with the transfers available to them. I have no problem with re use of older DVD files. I am particularly happy they have added a security hologram sticker on their box sets now. I bought a counterfeit Jeffersons set online and could have used that addition to fight the seller.

Grand_Ennui and bmasters9 like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, does Amazon block counterfeit items other than what's being sold by private sellers? Also, are these items inferior in quality all the time, some of the time or what? I once saw a Good Times complete series set for around $20 but it seemed too cheap to be legit.

18. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

My Jeffersons set was a very good forgery. The disc were well pressed and the files were of normal size and not compressed. The DVD cases were the giveaway. They were a style and type Shout has never used. More like what VEI uses if you are familiar with their output. I bought on Ebay. The seller had photos and wasn't from China or Russia, so I rolled the dice. I bought a counterfeit AC/DC set on Amazon that was supposed to be the Australian release. They were poor fakes with bad pressing and artwork. The seller refunded my purchase without a fight.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Not edited in new set

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just noticed this set is back to $69.96 on Walmart.com. Still close to $90 on Amazon, surprisingly, given that those two websites frequently seem to track each other's prices.

I also see a lot of copies on eBay around $40, but I assume these are fake (Chinese) boots since I don't see how many sellers with no feedback would suddenly have overstock of an item that was only released within the past few weeks.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I sent Amazon a message about Walmart's price and Amazon just reduced their price to match.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

from where did you buy this? $35.00? Incredible...

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  23. Michael

looking for $49.99 all it's worth for DVD...maybe $35.00.

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

In time.

25. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Amazon during the time in 2014 when the set was selling cheap .. real cheap!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.