Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

[​IMG]
    IOW... my PSB and Smiths CDs arrived today! :)

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh: Steve Martin's a jerk...

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  3. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Some brick and mortar stores are giving out badges and pillow cases with the Smiths new release, not sure if that is with the vinyl or CD ?

4. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Wow, all three of their remixes of Leaving, they must really love that song. I guess they really had to stretch to fill out the Elysium second disc. Wonder why they never did an extended mix of A Face Like That, seems that would have benefited from one.

c-eling likes this.
  5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I saw that! Interesting incentives. :p The Smiths box is nicely packaged imo. Well worth the $25 or so I paid for it!

portlandjulian likes this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes and even with that they didn't fill the whole CD. I would have loved a demo of 'Give it A Go' or 'Requiem'

7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I did a quick comparison with Foobar and the ABX Comparator. Does anyone else use that? I'd love to know if there are issues with it but for me it seems like a good way to directly compare tracks.

I compared Love etc. and More Than A Dream from the original Japanese Deluxe Edition and the new remaster and honestly couldn't hear a difference which could be because I'm over 50 and have tin ears at this point. I also compared Leaving and Ego Music from Elysium and the remaster seems to have a bump in high end compared to the original Deluxe Edition. I thought they were also very close though. Track DR values are within a point of each other on both sets compared to the originals.

Anyway, chain is: Foobar > Asus Xonar Essence STX card > Sony E80ES preamp > Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones

foobar2000 1.3.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-10-21 17:09:06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pet Shop Boys / Yes {Japanese - 1st 11 tracks}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -0.03 dB -7.84 dB 3:32 01-Love etc.
    DR6 -0.01 dB -6.78 dB 3:51 02-All over the world
    DR5 -0.01 dB -7.26 dB 3:42 03-Beautiful people
    DR6 -0.01 dB -6.95 dB 3:41 04-Did you see me coming?
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.34 dB 4:47 05-Vulnerable
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.60 dB 4:57 06-More than a dream
    DR5 -0.01 dB -6.73 dB 3:50 07-Building a wall
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.98 dB 5:31 08-King of Rome
    DR6 -0.01 dB -6.99 dB 3:43 09-Pandemonium
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.13 dB 4:44 10-The way it used to be
    DR6 -0.03 dB -7.69 dB 6:23 11-Legacy

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 978 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

foobar2000 1.3.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-10-21 17:10:43

Analyzed: Pet Shop Boys / Yes {Remastered}

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.20 dB 3:33 01-Love etc.
    DR5 -0.01 dB -6.62 dB 3:51 02-All Over the World
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.14 dB 3:42 03-Beautiful People
    DR6 0.00 dB -6.84 dB 3:41 04-Did You See Me Coming?
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.06 dB 4:47 05-Vulnerable
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.27 dB 4:57 06-More Than a Dream
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.07 dB 3:50 07-Building a Wall
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.75 dB 5:31 08-King of Rome
    DR6 0.00 dB -6.70 dB 3:42 09-Pandemonium
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.41 dB 4:44 10-The Way It Used to Be
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.88 dB 6:23 11-Legacy

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 987 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

8. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Audirvana doesn't give me as much info but the DRs are the same as those you report for the 2017 remaster and my Yes / Etc. from Europe.

portlandjulian and jamesc like this.
  9. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Loving the Glad All Over tune :)

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Which gets played first James?

I picked up Yes 3cd today myself.

11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'm a Yes man so I'm going to play that in a few minutes. I'll get to Ultra eventually!

Did you find any goodies while out today?

JeffMo and portlandjulian like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I went out hoping to get reissues of two long time favorite albums (Yes and G Michael's LWP), but they didn't have the 3cd version of the latter. I did pick up some jazz CDs by Miles and Thelonious though.

I'm watching baseball playoffs so Yes will have to wait until tomorrow!

portlandjulian, c-eling and jamesc like this.
  13. c-eling

Thanks for doing the legwork James!
    I'm going to go through these later on the big system, just got out of work. I did listen to the 2017 Love, etc. after ripping.
    Notice something a little different with the mix?

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I didn't catch a difference with the mix? What'd I miss? :)

I did listen to the 2017 Yes on my main system last night and didn't notice any major difference compared to the original mastering but I wasn't expecting much since it is such a recent recording and it was recorded in a pretty unorthadox way.

I played Depeche Mode's Ultra SACD afterwards and it just clobbered Yes sonically. I really love the way that album sounds! I always forget about the spooky surrounds in Uselink though and it startled me as always. :p

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

2:22 there is a pause in the beat on the 2009. 2017 no break. I'm going to have to go through these to see if any other mix variations are present.
    Ultra is a favorite as well. I pretty much sold off all my other super's but this one is a keeper. I need to put my 5.1 back into play.

jamesc likes this.
  16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, nice catch! That is a weird one. I confirmed the pause is there on the Japanese CD and the two UK CD singles. Seems more interesting with the pause.

portlandjulian and c-eling like this.
  17. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Sweet: my local record store were doing a Buy 3, Pay 2 albums, so with The Smiths' reissue out too, it means I got Elysium (the only one I wasn't sure about, but felt obliged to get to have a complete set) for free :goodie:

18. portlandjulian

Received mine yesterday, bugger the music, aren't the booklets a good read :D

jamesc, Scottb and c-eling like this.
  19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The booklets are fantastic as usual! Lots of Kermit the Frog jokes. Ha!

I've listened through everything once. Bonus material aside, I had forgotten how great both Yes and Elysium are on their own merits. Two great albums.

20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I never owned the original Elysium album ..... what a great album, perfect for autumn.

21. portlandjulian

I have always thought that as well. They are two different types of albums, but as you say, each are great on their own merits. :)

c-eling, MarkusGermany and Scottb like this.
  22. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I've been listening to the new cd version of Elysium and really enjoying it. I don't have my original cd copy with me to compare right now, but my impression is that I do much prefer the sound of the new cd over the original, which I was never happy with, especially compared to the sound of the original vinyl version (which I much preferred over the cd). I'll have to get out my original cd copy for direct comparison.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That would be helpful for those of us who are resisting double-dipping on these titles, thanks.

24. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The remastering engineer did a fine job with these reissues- very happy. I want to replace my old 2001 remasters of the first 5 albums soon.

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

:wtf: :eek:

c-eling likes this.