Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Despite all you said, fans are buying it.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh yeah? How many units sold? Let’s see the figures.

Anyway, if the first box were selling as hoped, it would be totally illogical to revise the configuration and drop the price for Days.

rnranimal and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

This reminds me I need to listen to the 2nd disc. I listened to the first right after it arrived and then things got busy and I forgot about disc 2 :doh:

4. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

The mono tracks are fun. I liked disc 2 (hate mosquito though)...

Floyd47 likes this.
  5. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

you've the right.

Pats check the 40th Ramones releases all have the same format and extra material

rnranimal and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

I like the mono tracks, but the live stuff I have already and the post-Jimbo tracks, well, the less said about them the better IMHO ;)

rock76 and landerstnkb like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

and the jethro tull boxsets have the same format. stand was even done again just to get it as the same format as the rest of them.

Kat Records likes this.
  8. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Love this! Love the sound!! Just wish the packaging was better. All my discs were scratch free. Bought the 2 cd/Blu-ray set. The jacket was somewhat crushed and creased in the shrink wrap.

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The Singles or debut 50th? I can believe The Singles is doing well. Not so much the debut. They took a very obvious hard turn in direction with the Strange Days set, which could mean only one thing.

Are you able to answer a question? Why would they use the SACD mastering for the 50th debut, which was sourced from a backup copy, instead of the superior 2012 96/24 mastering which seems to have come from the master?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

The singles/Blue-Ray is wonderful! I have been enjoying the post Morrison tracks the most!

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. Pats Radio

The change of deluxe editions had nothing to do with sales from the debut. Zero. Having enough quality material (67-68) to use was more of a factor. Adding Matrix stuff could have been an option but not sure the band and label wanted to keep diluting that since a box is planned in the near future. Which makes sense. The mono LP is being released separately so in theory you’re getting the same stuff only just not in the same box.

Again, comparing what other bands do doesn’t add up since each band is different. Certainly the Doors situation is more complex due to all the parties involved.

12. Six Bachelors

You sat in on the management meeting, did you? Cool. What else did they say?

Look, let's be sensible. The band and label already diluted any potential Matrix box release with the 2008 cluster and with the tracks on the debut 50th. The irony of a light bulb suddenly switching on and everyone deciding, "Let's not release any Matrix tracks so that we can present a good quality Matrix box with new material from the masters," is powerful. What kind of organisation successfully shifts a bunch of units in part one of a series of product, then dramatically reduces the price (and extent) of part two? If the first set was making the big bucks, Strange Days should have cost at least as much, if not more.

It's obvious why they've gone budget for Strange Days. You insisted previously that the first set has sold well and I asked you for sales figures but, like whenever someone asks you for something concrete, you ignore the question.

On your final two sentences, each band has different individuals and/or estates, sure, but each band still works in the same market. The excuse that The Doors as an entity is somehow different from all other bands to the point where management is estopped from putting out high quality releases each and every time something is released is an excuse that holds very little water.

It should be obvious by now to those that make the decisions that expensive releases with minimal content and hardly anything/nothing new (London Fog and debut 50th) are not what people want. Even if those big sets are just vanity projects, financed by skateboards and sneakers and sweatshirts, they're still wastes of effort and time.

pablorkcz, Shawn, Kat Records and 3 others like this.
  13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Just got the 2-cd version, and am enjoying it a great deal!

Can anyone point to a post that pinpoints the unique stereo mixes?

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why did Japan get the debut box without the vinyl that got announced after the US version? If the 18,000 RSD collectors had the new remastered Matrix tracks and already bought he debut RSD mono, then what is the big incentive to pick up the debut box?

Mono
    half dozen or so Matrix tracks from the album
    maybe a fog track
    single mixes
    Outtakes that came up for auction and got yanked
    Anything we have not heard from multi tracks in the band's possession(obviously used in 2006)
    People Are Strange from Sullivan 67
    Instrumental tracks

There's more than enough killer 4 CD set packed to the gills that would leave us salivating, and even keep back some nuggets for the next reissue round.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Pats Radio

You can hand pick things til you’re blue in the face. But it isn’t that easy. It’s not exactly like going food shopping and pick stuff off the shelf.

BTW if they gave you people are strange from Sullivan or a Fog track people on here would be complaining about they already have it. Please don’t tell me they wouldn’t.

16. murch

murch Forum Resident

But where are these session tracks from these recordings? Did the doors never acquire these tapes? Seems like prime material to release for the 50th Strange Days...

THE DOORS Unreleased 1967/68/69 Studio Session Reels in the vaults

Hep Alien and Shawn like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Even keeping it to stuff fans already have, there's an incredible 2CD set with both discs having stuff unreleased on CD. It's about having everything in one place rather fears of repitition. Then the session outtakes/Fillmore/Matrix are held back for the next reissue round.

Disc 1: stereo/mono album
    Disc 2: matrix SD songs/single mixes/Fog track/Sullivan track/M-Drive demo/instrumentals/Horse Laitudes acapella

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

What about Benefit, then?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

One weird thing is that the discography on the inside cover lists all the LPs EXCEPT Absolutely Live. They even have Alive She Cried listed, but no AL. WHY?

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ian Anderson doesn't like that album

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Six Bachelors

I think point was that Benefit is presented differently than the other Steven Wilson remix sets. Same audio configuration, that is - just a smaller book size.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Am I weird for enjoying the post-Morrison Doors tracks a lot?

23. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Liking post-Morrison Doors is a symptom of more than 15 mental disorders according to the DSM manual.

DrJ, MoonPool and driverdrummer like this.
  24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Variety is the Spice of Life:pineapple:

25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My kids love “The Mosquito”. The only Doors song they know.

Hep Alien and adamos like this.