T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

Ongoing disucssion in the thread regarding this year's Rhino "Rocktober" vinyl reissues (Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon... ), but I bet not everyone is checking in there, so I'm hoping a dedicated thread will help point the spotlight on this release as it definitely deserves some fanfare.

This was just released this Tuesday the 23rd, and even though Rhino didn't really advertise the details (T. Rex - Electric Warrior | Rhino ), the reissue is AAA and cut by Kevin Gray. The vinyl is also pressed at RTI. The press release(s) and the website don't mention these things, but it came with what seems like pretty transparent hype stickers on the front. It also comes in a nicely done tip-on gatefold sleeve. Available in US and Canada only.

I grabbed a copy and gave it a listen and inspection yesterday and I'm interested in what others think. I have both an original UK Fly and original US Reprise which sound pretty different from one another to my ears.

2. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

i've got a US reprise one and i picked up the 2004?iirc reissue. the reissue was terrible, no mids and boosted bass. i'm satisfied with the reprise version, but could be tempted to pick up the latest reissue.

Rickchick likes this.
  3. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I'd love to get a copy of the new reissue so looking forward to hearing what people think of it!

billy1 likes this.
  4. Well this is awesome news. I looked for a while to find Fly UK pressing and it sounds great. If this one is better... it’ll be one of the best sounding rock LPs I own.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

What do you think?

6. Its a bit better sounding that the US original. But the original is nice. The new one seems fuller. Richer.

supermd, Clonesteak, Wuther and 2 others like this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have a UK Fly and US as well. Not sure if my UK is a first. Sounded pretty bright as I recall. Haven’t played it in years.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

i like it a lot more than the original US Reprise which has always sounded a little stuffy to me, and it's a bit more open than the UK Fly. i've never heard a Cube pressing, but i'd say it's right on the heels of the Fly in my ears.

Wuther and mr.datsun like this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I wonder if he used a the UK master or a US copy tape? I have a German Cube/Fly copy, but I would check this one out for sure. Kevin's cut of John Prine's debut in this series is excellent.

recstar24 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's what I love about this place. I had no clue about this release and it's a must buy for me. Just ordered it.

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yep. I had no idea about this release. I have a copy on hold now. I can’t wait!

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's getting great reports. But a USA-only release by the sound of it. I'm in the UK..... I feel that we're being deprived of our own heritage. :(
    I guess it's T.Rex licensing problems.

Kit2010 likes this.
  13. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I had just bought some months ago a dutch copy on EMI stateside, so it was written in the stars that this long player was ready for an AAA reissue...

Paully, hazard, gonz and 2 others like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Is that the late 70's reissue with "Starpower" and "Get It On" written on both labels? Never heard it.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How many times can one reissue one single little album? But if this is AAA and sounds different to the excellent UK Fly... well I love this album so....:righton:

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Can't wait to crack it open tonight!

driverdrummer and ssmith3046 like this.
  17. wes

wes Senior Member

Amen brother! I had no idea this reissue even existed. Love T rex.
    love this place!

Dmdstrhalo likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I do not see this on Amazon. Grr.

19. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Dear forum members. Please refrain from buying the Kevin Gray Electric Warrior. I have a second copy on the way and don’t want this to be OOP if I need a replacement. Thank you very much. :D

20. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Rhino's Rocktober issues are meant to be sold in brick and mortar stores.

21. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Does anyone know how many of these were pressed. The Rocktober announcement list numbers on most of the titles but not this one.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As being discussed in the other thread, because this title was released with a different version, for RSD back in the Spring of this year, AS A LIMITED EDITION, this version appears to NOT be limited in any way.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. Well if they are not readily available in stores then why not continue re issuing them as along as there is a demand.

Gone are the record store days when virtually everything released stayed in print.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Good to see a properly done analog AAA reissue. My OG Reprise LP & 2003 Rhino CD are good enough for me.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Only bummer is when there's a really good reissue and it goes out of print and the next one isn't so good, as happened recently with Black Sabbath Vol. 4.

I hope this particular one stays in print for a good long time.