Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

9-11-73 (Horny Dead! Dark Star>Dew!)
    10-15-76 (Set II Other One>Comes>Franklin's>Sugar?!? Wow.)

Would both be very welcome as Dave's Pick releases.

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That 76 show does sound pretty good, but I remember not liking horny Dead in my one and only exposure. It's been a while though, so maybe time for a re-evaluation.

I want the next one with the bonus disc to be a primal show, but one way or thuther I hope we get one this year. Another spring 1970 show would be pretty exciting. Actually, any show from 70 would be exciting.

And I hope there's something from the early 80s this time around too. Spring 81 or 82 and fall 83 especially. Plus something from summer 85 has to get out sometime.

Then finish with something from April 78. I don't want a whole box set of these, but certainly something like the William & Mary show would be welcomed by most.

And the annual box should be from 73; some of those super-long shows that don't fit within the Dave's Picks 3CD format. 4 shows on 16 discs.

Not so much speculation as wishful thinking.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    budwhite, SBegonias17 and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

We've got the original mix, but a few portions of the remix might be better or are at least very different.

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

as far as I know the original mix isn't on cd though right?

5. The commonly circulating on CD mix is the original mix. It’s the remix that doesn’t exist in its entirety on CD. The Anthem tracks on the Smiling On a Cloudy Day compilation are the remixes.

This is Anthem we’re talking about. Aoxomoxoa the original mix is not on CD.

GerryO, RiRiIII, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

GerryO and Blue Note like this.
  7. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the 9/11/73 Dark Star > Morning Dew is sans horns and it might as well be from one of the Nassau shows a few days before. It is as good as 73 gets. I know what you mean about the horn material, but there is some cherry picking you can do from that tour (check out 9/26/73 Playing in the Band, 9/21/73 Here Comes Sunshine, and 9/12/73 Bird Song first).
    They could do a great compilation from that tour but unfortunately compilations seem to have fallen out of favor for the most part in the Dave Lemieux era. Dick's Pick #31 (8/4-5-6/74) is a great example of how to do it.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 2 others like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Only 4? Gimme 16 shows on 64 discs, at the very least.

9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

And that will be a cool $500. No thank you.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

Probably more like 250-300 if they do not go overboard with the packaging. Gimme gimme gimme.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Considering the exorbitant price for the RFK mini box coming out shortly who knows what they'd charge for a big box of shows people actually want!

Not an anti-80s fan at all, just those RFK shows were the worst of the tour...

Six Bachelors and budwhite like this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

There is no logic to this, only Dead :D

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I know the horns are what September '73 is known for, but it's only a handful of tracks in each show that have horns. Usually the WRS and one or two others. The 9/11/73 is a hidden gem of a show. The DS>Dew is as good as any other in '73 and the rest of the show is well played.

14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

64.98 for a six disc set isn't that exorbitant, it's just shipping and taxes that make it seem a little worse. I agree that something like $49.99 would have been an easier price to swallow, but less than $11 per disc isn't too bad. Not the deal of the century mind you, but not a rip-off either.

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I thought the RFK box was at least $15 to much. You can get two Dave's Picks for under $60, and the last two picks were pretty epic

16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Remember it's not the quantity of discs that is the largest cost of making these releases. Think about the packaging, liner notes, remastering, photo licensing, publishing costs (which is something no one ever talks about, don't forget that the band/songwriters + Jerry's estate still get paid for every new release).

When this RFK box eventually sells out, and people are willing to pay $200 for it, $65 is going to seem like a bargain.

17. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

It's true, we don't know what the packaging will be like (hopefully not like the awful, super fragile '77 box we got earlier this year!), but still, $50 is a fair price for 2 shows. 2 lesser shows at that. A great tour, but these two? Any other run! For $65 I think it'd be fair if DVDs were included. I can only guess they're being released because only audience tapes circulate.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm more hoping they do this in 2 years with Aoxomoxoa........original mix still not on CD.

19. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I know this would never be part of a Dave's Picks series, but since someone brought up the remix of Anthem, I'm just going to say that an awesome 2 CD set that I would buy in an instant would be Aoxomoxoa with the original mix, the remix, and then a second CD of outtakes. First, the original mix is TOTALLY different. Plus, there are a bunch of totally GREAT outtakes from that album that circulate, because it was originally recorded and basically finished on 8 track and then the new 16 track machines came out and they rerecorded the whole thing, but completely different! There is a version of Cosmic Charlie that has a completely different vibe, sounds like the Beach Boys are playing it. There is a totally weird and wild version of St. Stephen with a telephone ringing in the middle of it and bagpipes playing, etc. And of course there is the beyond weird track "Barbed Wire Whipping Party"... With all of the re-releases of all kinds of things that are slightly remastered and sound basically the same as the previous version or with bonus tracks that that are barely different from the released version, Aoxomoxoa represents an opportunity for something people will really enjoy and want to have!

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's pretty much exactly what I'd like to see for Aoxomoxoa, those outtakes have circulated widely and are a lot of fun.

Anthem should be released with both mixes as well, I can't recall whether the 1971 mix has ever been released on CD (I have it on vinyl), but if not, it should be. The original mix is generally better, but the later mix has some interesting qualities. It's harder for me to decide which version of Aoxomoxoa is better (except that What's Become of the Baby is far better in the original mix), but the original mix is certainly worth hearing.

ianuaditis, Blue Note and GerryO like this.
  21. Anthem fanboy, sorry, carry on. :)

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. Either of these albums, Anthem and Aoxomoxoa, as deluxe editions with both mixes would be an instant buy for me.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Both of those albums would make better deluxe editions with multiple mixes and outtakes rather than a random live show from the era.
    I would love to see the album reissues focus on the studio work.

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Long time listener, first time subscriber. I put it off last year and missed out and did not want to make the same mistake this year.

25. Matthew Tate

my girlfriend said shes getting me the 2018 subscription for an xmas gift. lets hope if she doesn't she lets me know

budwhite and notesofachord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.