Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

For ANYONE singing the standards?! I have no problem with that either if that "anyone" has the talent. But there are only very very few these days!

paulmock likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is so untrue. There are many talented singers all over the world recording standards these days. Actually, many more than were allowed to record in the 1950's, mostly because of the ease of recording independently today. Back in the 1940's and 1950's only a few record companies controlled everything. Now, I will admit that the great influential masters like Sinatra cannot be matched. These active singers are not big on the market, and you may not be aware of them, but they are singing and recording standards in nearly every city on this planet. My collection has literally thousands of them.

JazzFanatic likes this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

That is so true. Little known Broadway performers, Cabaret singers. The DJ, Jonathan Schwartz has introduced me to many wonderful singers, littleknown, wonderful singers, that you would never hear anywhere else.

rangerjohn and Tribute like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many of the singers of standards today are not in the US. Europe and Asia are far more open to listening to singers do the standards than American audiences. Of course many Americans do their recording in Europe and Asia. That is also where the reissues of older American recordings are being released.

Canada too. Diana Panton just sent me her newest recording.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Returning to the thread subject…

It appears that official releases from Frank Sinatra Enterprises and Universal Music have slowed to a trickle since the original licensing announcement four years ago. So far in calendar 2017, we have seen just:

• 3 LPs (FAS & ACJ 50th Anniversary, A Swingin' Affair! 60th Anniversary, Ultimate Christmas)
    • 2 CDs (FAS & ACJ 50th Anniversary, Ultimate Christmas)
    • 1 unique digital album (Baby Blue Eyes)
    • 0 HD downloads
    • 5 DVDs (The Timex Shows and 3 final titles in The Frank Sinatra Collection from Eagle Rock)

Maybe the releases will pick up in 2018, to mark the 20th anniversary of Frank Sinatra's passing?

6. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Today I opened another original sealed vinyl. This time the original 1964 mono "Softly as I leave you". Many differences on that one. Of course the usual mono/stereo differences but some recordings stand out:

Love isn't just for the young - dry sound on voice, sounds extremely different and nice!
    Also "Softly" sounds dryer and more intimate and so does "Available".

Then suddenly love - tighter orchestra sound that really kicks

The look of love - dryer, tighter. Much better sound on the flutes (you hear much more of them). Overall blows you away.

But the real difference is "Talk to me baby". That mono version sounds almost like a complete different recording!!! Never heard the piano so good and in front. The verse alone with just piano and voice is outstanding.

Though some tracks sound better to me in stereo (Dear heart has better rhythm guitar in stereo and "Pass me by" has better drums) the mono is worthwhile having.

My conclusion: You need both versions! Even if it's just for "Talk to me Baby" and "Love isn't just for the young" alone.

Oh please note that I only have a stereo vinyl re-release (which has real good sound) and the trunk for comparison!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Arkoffs and Simon A like this.
  7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Things are certainly looking up for next year....an album of Christmas duets.

Next up......a Duet version of "Watertown"

Arkoffs, Simon A, bozburn and 4 others like this.
  8. Bob F

9. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Will the Sinatra duet album be out this year? The way Seal talks about it it’s like it’s coming out this Christmas.

Ron, will the “Watertown” duet be with a performing...Seal?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov and kennyluc1 like this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

The original duets albums were bad enough....

MarkusGermany and roda12 like this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Now THAT'S funny!!!!!! :biglaugh:

colormesinatra likes this.
  12. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

No " The Waterboys" I think!

peace and love✌Dave

13. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

We have the duets version of Watertown. Jake Holmes, Frankie Valli, and Bob Gaudio. ;)

paulmock likes this.
  14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

We need a new Duets album like Dean Martin needed another kid...:evil:

aoxomoxoa, AJH and paulmock like this.
  15. Bob F

Billboard: Frank Sinatra's Manager and Confidant Eliot Weisman on Working With 'Mr. S'

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov and Tina_UK like this.
  16. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Not too many spoilers please in ref Weismans’ Book ;) the hard copy is not available here until after Christmas although I notice the audio book is now available on UK iTunes.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

18. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

20. Vinylfindco

Thank you, I’m going to snatch these up and maybe Come Fly With Me

paulmock likes this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Be aware that the CFWM is in mono and while it is very, very good it does offer a very "different" sound than you are used to if you only have the stereo version. It has quite a bit if reverb on Mr. S. But overall musically you will hear things in the mono cut that you don't on the stereo.

22. Vinylfindco

Aren’t SFSL and ITWSH mono also?

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes. There was no stereo recording of either album.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  24. Vinylfindco

Is my stereo 180gm reissue of Sinatra/Jobim R1 73798 considered to be a good stereo version. Not sure but The voice sounds a little strange at times. I think I have an original mono somewhere I’ll have to dig out and compare.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To my ears (and most others) that Kevin Gray redeux is quite good. But I (and several others here) prefer the OP mono recording of that album.