Shockingly bad experience with Amazon.ca

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by murphywmm, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I had a order of what was supposed to be 2 vinyl records arrive today from Amazon.ca and I am absolutely shocked with what I got.
    One item was a replacement (the first shipment got severely damaged in transit - Canada Post even put a note on it apologizing for the damage :o). This time, they sent me the CD instead of the vinyl! :realmad:
    Second item - all I got was the cover, with no record inside! :biglaugh:The cover was sealed by the way. How on earth could something like this happen?

The CS rep was quick to refund me, but I will say I don't think I'm going to renew my prime membership. It's just not worth it.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Brutal. I've never had a problem with them since I got prime.

3. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Sorry to hear of your issues :(. I'm also a Prime member who is questioning renewal. I've been ordering from them for almost 15 years.

A couple of years back, the area we live in lost "next day delivery" largely due to a decision made by the logistics companies (couriers) to discontinue next day service to our area. I get that this decision was not Amazon's nor was it in their power to fix. That said, since then they have missed promised delivery dates on Prime shipments to me on a regular basis. What's worse is they don't seem to care about it and have brushed off my numberous reasonable and professional complaints about their deminished service level.

They totally blew delivery of a new Tragically Hip vinyl shipment to me a couple months back. They missed the original delivery date and then the next 2 "promised" delivery dates. After I complained repeatidly, they ended up crediting me the full $40 cost of shipment but they still didn't seem to get that the service they say can provide to me isn't reliable or attainable on a regular basis.

FWIW, I'm also not impressed with their Prime Video offerings in Canada.

These service issues, and their responses to them have prompted me to take the time to seek out other online retailers when looking for items. I've found some decent alternatives for some types of products and I've begun using them for some purchases. I know Amazon most likely doesn't care about losing my business (based on their responses to my feedback), however, I feel better shopping elsewhere as IMHO retailers (online or B&M) still need to make a decent ongoing effort to get an keep my business.

Dave likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Wow that's pretty bad. I've never bought lps from .ca but my cds have arrived alright.

I got Prime by accident. Prime Video is largely useless in Canada but I at least got to watch a few eps of Petticoat Junction. Not sure if I will renew unless the video side improves. But I also noticed that there aren't as many items with free one day delivery. Now they charge for that and offer free two day delivery. Not the end of the world but one day delivery is a very good reason to keep that service.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow. No record inside...could easily have left the factory like that, but that's an interesting scam if someone just reshrinked it. I have been a Prime member in the US for a long time and am thrilled. I have very rarely had any issues, and as you experienced, they are more than willing to take care of you if something happens. I would give them another shot as they do work hard to earn and retain business.

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I got a book from Amazon US the other day. It looked like the packer had tried to shove it in the box without paying attention, the spine was torn and the some of the pages inside were bent and jammed back. I asked for a return and they even sent UPS with a label to pick it up. It is rare when a shipment is late but if it is from amazon I complain and get a month extension on Prime.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The CD instead of vinyl, that's Amazon's mistake.

But no LP inside a sealed record--that's on the manufacturer. You can't blame Amazon for that.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don’t think this Amazon outfit is going to make it :-plnktn-:

eelkiller likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Never had an issue with them with hundreds of orders over the years (CD/DVD/Blu-ray only).
    Sorry that the OP has had the issues but as others mentioned the No LP sure sounds like a manufacturing problem.

10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

At the same time, a human would have had to pack it (unless they have machines for each and every LP) and would have noticed that it was about 10% of the weight it should have been...

11. eelkiller

He/she probably laughed about it all the way back home. ;)

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Well, where I work we have boxes that say "do not destroy this box", on a shelf that has signs that say "do not destroy these boxes". I told a guy yesterday not to destroy the box, and then a few minutes later he destroyed it. He seemed incredibly confused when I pointed out that I asked him not to destroy the box marked "do not destroy this box" that he took from the shelf with signs posted reading "do not destroy these boxes" and he destroyed the box anyway. So it's entirely possible that the Amazon handler either doesn't care, understand, or is just really, really stupid, or any combination of the three.

13. eelkiller

Note to Amazon, weigh each individual item before shipping out.

Unless an employee opened up the album, removed the LP and resealed it this is the manufacturers issue IMO. Amazon should accept the return and send another LP to the OP. I have received CD's with out the media and with an extra CD on occasion it is rare but anything is possible when we are talking about thousands of items in one run.

14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Amazon ships from huge warehouses. Each picker/packer fulfills hundreds of orders every day, they walk tens of miles each day picking orders and are expected to meet a high goal doing so. They expect the item to be in the package they picked for the order. They don't have time to weigh every order and they are too busy to question if this package seems a bit light. This album probably came from the pressing plant without it's LP in it. Let them know and they will reship it.

Lost In The Flood and eelkiller like this.
  15. murphywmm

I have to bump this again. For the 4th time in the last month or so, Amazon shipped the incorrect LP! I guess they don't bother to look at what they are putting in the boxes. Never used to have issues at all like this. Yes, they will send out the correct item but it's a pain in the butt.

PhantomStranger and Dave like this.
  16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I buy records from amazon every month. Never had a problem sending the wrong one. The only problem I ever had was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was obviously a return (someone put the hype sticker on the actual album) and extremely warped. I requested a replacement and it too was extremely warped. Gave up after that on that album.

17. murphywmm

SO this is what happens when Amazon.ca decides to throw an LP into a large box with just a sheet of bubble wrap as protection... what is wrong with these people?!

[​IMG]

18. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I have been noticing this more lately. They aren't putting lps in the proper cardboard sleeve thing and istead just toss them in a big box to bang around in. I've been lucky there has been no damage so far.

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

They're not paid enough to care.

20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Nothing,
    They're just jamming as much product on their shelves and bins as possible.
    That's why the bend in the album is there.
    Most albums Amazon ships in the US now comes with it's own cardboard protection before being picked to ship.
    Only small labels don't protect their product.

Hard to say why you keep getting the wrong album.
    System in Canada should rely on bar codes and scanners to get product into the right box with the correct address.
    It's also barcoded and scanned upon being received and put into inventory.

Aside from that, it's only the stupidity, or lack of pride in work quality by the local workforce that can be called into account.

melstapler likes this.
  21. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

As far as promised one and two day delivery mentioned up thread. ..........hahaha.
    Mate , sh!t arrives whenever it does here. .....and then I have to go and get it !!!

22. Amazon starts hiring a lot of temporary staff for the Christmas shopping season and mistakes always go up this time of year. It's been true for nearly a decade.

melstapler likes this.
  23. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

I just received a Mo Fi Geo Disc cartridge alignment tool from amazon.
    They are about the thickness of 2 vinyl records. They come in a standard size LP type jacket.
    Mine was in a thin plastic post bag, no protection from bending, no sheet of cardboard etc. Just like posting a record in a bag.:realmad:
    I am in New Zealand so they knew it was going halfway round the world! (I expected it to be in a proper cardboard record mailer)
    As you can imagine, all the covers corners were bent and buckled., to the shape of the disc. Fortunately the Geo Disc itself was undamaged.
    I was very annoyed.

24. murphywmm

During my chat with Amazon customer service about getting a refund for the above damaged record, the representative told me they would process an immediate refund and to "keep or dispose of the item as I wished". I held onto it just in case, and no refund appeared - chatted with them again and I was told "You were misinformed, you must return the item for a refund". :laugh: Good thing I held onto it then.

25. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

An update to my post above #23
    Closer inspection of the Geo Disc showed a stress line from centre hole to outer rim and a slight dish shape in it.
    Went to the website filled in the "return damaged goods" section and posted it back this morning. (cost me NZ$18)
    Got an email this afternoon telling me they were posting a replacement.
    I hope this time it is in a record mailer or something similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.