Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Welp...it’s now in my local store too, so maybe I’ll go get one. Do I need another copy of this? Is it gonna beat out a NM U.S. Steve Guy cut?

Cassius and dkmonroe like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think that most of the people who've bought this one say it compares favorably even to a vintage copy, so, maybe? :laugh:

I'll probably be buying this one because I foolishly let my vintage copy get sold many, many years ago.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Last Friday I grabbed Pretties For You and Chicago presents ... Terry Kath.
    The Alice Cooper is in a decent hard gatefold. Sounds phenomenal. Never had it. Delighted with it.
    Terry Kath is a 2LP single sleeve w/liner notes on back cover.
    Equally happy with the sound.
    Must go off and scour tomorrow for the ZZ Top and the T. Rex.

Sammy Waslow and Myke like this.
  4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

There’s also “limited”as in The Beatles’ mono CD set from 2009, which is apparently “limitless.”

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

Well, I think it's obvious what happened there - they said "10,000 copies" and everybody freaked out so they made a couple million.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I really need to listen to this one again before I comment. I don't have anything to compare it to anymore... my original pressing is long gone, so my review may not be as accurate as others.

7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Sadly not. Not any more... The Fly is the original (as everyone knows); with the 'portrait' inner sleeve and poster. Complete copies are unobtanium, pretty much regardless of condition. I used to have a superb Fly original (no poster though) and it is utterly superb. I've been looking to replace it for years but never found one in good enough condition and affordable. So this new analogue cut interests me greatly...

The anniversary vinyl (the Tony Visconti cut from a few years back) is a nice 'thing' but it misses the warmth and the clarity and the mighty 'punch' of the original. IMO of course.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's a mystery why a top selling record from this period should be so rare when it sold truck loads. Nearly all copies must have been teenage party records.

moomaloo likes this.
  9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Agreed. I think that's exactly what happened to them (see also original Sweet albums). Plus, Electric Warrior has achieved all-time classic status which means that nice originals don't circulate very much.

10. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I did find a Cube original (with Fly matrix nos.) of the prior "T. Rex" album in Amsterdam last year, and I have a Cube 2-fer of the earlier Beard of Stars/Unicorn, but otherwise it's US pressings. T. Rex on Reprise is consistently good, sometimes better (e.g. Tanx is almost demonstration quality).
    Still I'm glad this new AAA Electric Warrior is available.

11. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

No, I don't think so. If you look on Rhino's "Rocktober" page, they state that all of the albums released on colored vinyl are limited (and offer the amount of copies they are limited to). Nowhere on the page is the T. Rex or ZZ Top listed as limited.

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

If this "Electric Warrior" reissue sells well, hopefully they'll consider giving "The Slider" and "Tanx" the same treatment.

13. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Very impressed with the Electric Warrior reissue. Marc's vocals seems less dominant, as the rest of the recording is brought up. More detail in the instruments on this one. Easily beats my original US copy, but I am unsure if it will beat my fly pressing. Gonna spin the other later to determine a winner. My only squabble with the reissue is that the drums are very punchy and I don't have a sub, so I am not getting the most of it.

googlymoogly likes this.
  14. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

You mean apple created artificial scarcity to freak everyone out that made demand even greater because of mental illness. "I don't really want it but ill buy it because I might not be able to get it later"

15. dkmonroe

No, that's not what I mean, but do you ever post anything that's not just dripping with negativity and cynicism? It gets tiresome.

Opeth likes this.
  16. Sick Sick Phil

Sure. However, what I wrote is still accurate.

17. dkmonroe

You don't think it's at all possible that they figured that the desire for a mono box might have been relatively small, therefore a limited release would be appropriate?

18. There’s a Beatles Mono thread somewhere else :tiphat:

mick_sh and dkmonroe like this.
  19. dkmonroe

Are you SURE? I mean, does stuff like that every really get discussed? :laugh:

e.s., GentleSenator and Mazzy like this.
  20. Sick Sick Phil

No. Why wouldn't it be like any other release ? You print up as many as you think you can sell and if you get more orders you print up more ? Not only did they they PROMOTE it as a limited set, they promoted the mono mixes as the way the Beatles intended for you to hear them.

21. dkmonroe

I think that's pretty much what did happen except there was a period of months before release in which people started to complain about the "limited" nature of the release, which may have surprised Apple and encouraged them to make more. I can't think of any previous band who'd offered a whole box set of mono albums in the last 20-30 or so years, and even today if you talk about mono mixes among many people, they'll be all "Why do you want those? Don't you have two ears?" and etc. So I think it is not at all unlikely that they intended to make the mono box a very limited release but then there was a backlash which made them rethink the strategy.

But anyway, this is all well-trodden ground and anybody can go grab a mono box if they want, so I don't see a problem here. Back to Rocktober releases, which I hope remain plentiful and available for people who want them.

22. Sick Sick Phil

Nope they promoted it as limited release creating an artificial scarcity. I think the first pressing are numbered and the rest are not.

23. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Read all the hype and decided to get the Electric Warrior today, since its limited and our distributor is low already. Only a few songs in but the difference between this and my old reprise copy I had for years before selling recently is night and day. This is the best I've heard this album

jimhb and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Is the new reissue of Electric Warrior a different mastering from the last Rhino reissue? I think it was 2012 and cut by Ron McMaster....

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes... new one cut by Kevin Gray. AAA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.