New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I quickly looked at a DS9 streaming episode and thought that it looked better on DVD uprezzed by a Blu-ray player.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

DS9 has always looked like crap on home video and streaming. They did an awful job mastering it in my opinion. It's a pity the financials probably don't pan out for a proper HD remaster for Blu-ray.

3. HGN2001

Oh I know. Even in the CRT days it looked crappy. But as I said, up-rezzed with a Blu-ray player, it can look at least watchable, versus the streaming versions which I think look worse.

4. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I really like the title design graphics for this new series, and for me, it is one of the best of any sci-fi tv show.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the titles in MacFarlane's The Orville are awful -- really gigantic and weird. Star Trek does a good job on all the technical elements, particularly the VFX and editing.

GeoffC likes this.
  6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think this is a damn fine show so far.

DreadPikathulhu and HGN2001 like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They're trying to make CBS-AA the go-to place for all things Trek, yet they can't make the old shows look as good as they can. I've compared the streaming DS9 to my recent DVDs and there is no comparison; artifacts and low bitrates plague the stream and the DVD, while not perfect, at least has a consistent quality. Hopefully the shows that are already in HD look better but I have my doubts.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Good to see Clem Fandango kicking ass too!

"I can hear you Clem Fandango!!!"

9. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Ha ha! Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw him, I thought - thats Clem Fandango!

I liked this episode, Rainn Wilson injected some needed campy comic relief with his Harry Mudd.
    Two F-words for Star Trek was quite shocking but amusing - they should also invent some new swear words for the 23rd century...

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Rainn Wilson was perfectly cast. :agree:

11. HGN2001

I, and apparently many others, had problems with the CBS All Access stream last evening. It started and buffered a number of times, stalling to a "loading" screen for long periods. I tried starting it several times, finally giving up after a half hour or so, hoping to watch it some time today. Early reviews I've seen are all praising the episode, so I'll look forward to it.

Meanwhile, news is that a second season has already been ordered:

Discovery Renewed for Second Season

DreadPikathulhu and Meng like this.
  12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Happy to see Joe Menosky writing for the series. He did a lot of my favourite TNGs and Voyagers.

13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I'm still bored with Vulcans but liked some of this latest episode. I wonder if Lorca volunteered the Admiral to go amd see the Klingons knowing that there was a very high risk involved - and that any capture/death to her would get him off the hook by being taken from command regarding his issues?

14. DreadPikathulhu

I enjoyed the new episode but my attempt to watch it last night failed due to the streaming issues, so I avoided spoilers and caught up today. I'm really liking the show.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Sure seemed that way to me. If so, he really does have some serious issues.

16. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Watched the first four episodes of Discovery today. Boring and dull. Talk, talk and more talk. Exposition delivered by actors standing and talking. This should have been a radio drama. Internal logic is nowhere to be seen, let alone any serious ties to the Trek Universe. Calling yourself Starfleet and name dropping from Star Trek past doesn't make it so in my book. I know this show has it's fans, but I don't get the attraction, even as an action/adventure show. But, I think Game Of Thrones is a bloated and needlessly padded drama as well. I don't care for the characters in this show at all.

Deesky likes this.
  17. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Watched the first 6 episodes. I think I gave it a fair chance, but it`s really a terrible show. Pity.

18. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

I want to watch the other episodes - I suspect -once the money has been milked from the streaming service - they will dump them on the network - probably before the 2nd season starts - in the meantime - Ill keep watching the Orville ....which does feel like classic Trek (and hardly any goofy jokes in the last episode...feels like they are finding a groove)

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, they won't. Their deal with Netflix, which is funding this thing, is that Netflix has world wide rights to the series, except in the US. CBSAA cannot and will not break this deal, especially since Netflix has now ponied up for S2. What's more, CBS desperately wants and needs CBSAA to succeed in the streaming world because that's where the future lies.

20. HGN2001

Someday, years in the future, STAR TREK DISCOVERY will be available "out in the wild". It'll probably first show up on Blu-ray/DVD, probably not as quickly as most series do, but it will eventually be released in some format like that. It may be confined to a huge box set at first so as to grab as much cash as CBS can, but it will show up.

Meantime, it's limited to CBS All Access in the here and now. All episodes will remain available as aired and won't "expire". I've confirmed that with CBS All Access, so those who want to sign up for a week and binge are free to do so.

I remember once wondering back in 1978 or so, as the original STAR WARS movie had been running in theaters for like a year, when that movie would play relatively unnoticed on some also-ran cable network or local channel on a random Saturday morning. It took 25-30 years, but eventually it was shown on, I think, TBS or TNT as part of an all STAR WARS day not that long ago, and it brought to mind my original thoughts.

Back when TNG and DS9 and VOY and ENT were doing their first run episodes, they too were difficult for many to watch. Being syndicated and on odd start-up networks, they were often difficult to receive over air or not picked up on local cable systems or just plain buried in overnight scheduling in some markets. But all of those shows are now available easily on home video, streaming services, and even still over the air on digital subchannels (H&I, MeTV, etc).

The only prior model for DISCOVERY is CBS's THE GOOD FIGHT. It aired its 10 episodes on CBS All Access earlier this year. It's still on All Access, but it's also now available for pay-per-episode on Amazon. It's not yet on a hard format like Blu-ray or DVD.

Deesky is right when he says that streaming is where the future lies. Since the days of the first VCR's, Hollywood has been trying desperately to stop the general public from owning their shows and movies. They begrudgingly embraced the media formats, but hated it all the same. Now with streaming, they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You want to see one of their shows? Pay for it.

21. DreadPikathulhu

We've always paid for their shows. Either by watching commercials or by paying for a premium service like HBO or Showtime, and more recently by buying the season DVD or Blu-ray sets.

Streaming issues aside, I really don't understand why people are up in arms about paying $10 a month to watch commercial-free CBS programming.

sunspot42 and HGN2001 like this.
  22. HGN2001

Me either.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can see why that might be an issue for some, and perhaps, many. It's a question of value. If they're just interested in a single show on the service and they're already paying cable and/or other streaming services (from which they get many shows of interest), then having to pay for another service of limited entertainment value is seen as too much.

On the other hand, if CBSAA had lots of other exclusive content that interested them, then they wouldn't have as big a problem.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, there's Twilight Zone on there, if that helps.

They also have Wings.

:shrug:

25. DreadPikathulhu

I was annoyed to have purchased a new season pass for Big Bang Theory on iTunes only to find that I could watch it on CBSAA for "free" along with Discovery.

If they'd improve the streaming quality of the rest of the Star Trek shows I'd consider keeping the service permanently, as it's easier to stream a show and keep track where I am at in the season than it is for me to go find the disc. Right not they're not even DVD quality.