T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I read that too...

So, I've ordered one from B&N and it's the first time I've ordered anything from them. I didn't know they shipped to the UK and it's an interesting prospect (import duty lottery aside...). I shall be watching to see if they stock that forthcoming Rush, Farewell To Kingsbox set...

But, what are they like as a company? Reliable? My order of the T. Rex album was placed a few days ago now and my order is still showing as 'processing' with a delivery estimate to the UK of the end of November. I'm in no great hurry but still 'processing' an album that they have in stock is a little strange perhaps..?

2. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to compare the 2014 Back to Black with any other reissues? I've just finished playing it and think it sounds pretty darn good. I have not heard any other versions to say how it stands up though. That's with exception of an original UK porky that I borrowed for a little while, but that was a good few years ago.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Kevin Gray got the Kinks Pye master tapes from the UK, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

4. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Just bought this, part of why I did is because I liked the Kinks reissues so much. Also, yes, the poster is the inside of the gatefold. The packaging is simple, but really feels right to me. I’m not a huge fan of having 20-page booklets and such.

Anyway, I really like my original UK Fly, so I’ll have to compare eventually. After one listen, I remember the Fly having a little more air around the vocals, but this one has more oomph to the kick drum and bass. I’m not sure I which I prefer. This one is wayyy better than the older rhino reissue or US original to me, though. Just my two cents.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I could wish otherwise about the gatefold. I notice that the 1st US pressing was not gatefold, so not sure why they did that. I see that @chahooa has just confirmed the poster.

I would have thought B&N would be reliable. I think I've ordered books from them in the past with no trouble. Import Duty is a real lottery but I think the odds are in our favour when standard USP is used. And at this price I guess it will be.

6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I've ordered from BN fairly regularly through the past few years and they're a great option for online vinyl

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  7. McRib

McRib Well-Known Member

I am curious about this, because on Discogs there is also a 1971 US gatefold release listed. How can I tell which listing is first press? At any rate, I assumed the original was gatefold purely based on the existence of the After the Gold Rush misprint with Marc Bolan in the gatefold.

On the source - the sticker seems pretty unambiguous not just saying "original" but "the ORIGINAL." I am not much of a serious listener but that's enough for me.

8. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

My brick and mortar shop set a copy aside for me - will pick it up tonight . Looking forward to my first listen of this album in its entirety :).
    ATB,
    Mark

9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Definitely gotta get my hands on this one. Now if only we could get The Slider..

CBackley likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I looked at the first one I found on Discogs.

You're right the gatefold came out the same year
    T. Rex - Electric Warrior

It then kind of makes sense that it was a gatefold to me, as I got the idea that many UK albums got the gatefold treatment when issued in the US.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

GentleSenator and Echo like this.
  12. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

What's special about that one?

13. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I believe the gatefold is the U.S. Reprise original. That's the one I have.

DHamilton likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Tanx" was a gatefold in the US as well, a unipack. "The Slider" too? It's a nice touch that all UK originals from 1972 onwards have a custom blue Marc Bolan label :righton:

googlymoogly likes this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It came out in Iran. :)

Mind you so did The Stones and Led Zeppelin.

Photographs of the album are skant. Just the cover on discogs. It looks well-worn, mysterious and poetic.

16. Macman

Macman Senior Member

No poster.

17. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

I ordered some Vinyl last year..no problems and no import duty but that could be down to being lucky? Although they did quote a five week delivery date,the Vinyl arrived within 10 days..

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Picked this up today.
    Went to a local store to purchase some 45s & there it was.
    It's great that I can still walk into a local shop and see a new release that I thought I'd have to order.

Darryl

Clonesteak, ego1jr and masterbucket like this.
  19. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

20. dachada

dachada Senior Member

21. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Is this available in Europe?

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

You probably don’t need my review at this point, but after only having the muffled crap Rhino pressing from years back, this is like listening to a completely different recording. It’s just what I hoped it would be.

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No, just U.S. and Canada. B&N will ship to Europe, I think though.

Marko K likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Especially for you:

[​IMG]

mr.datsun likes this.
  25. dachada

dachada Senior Member

this new T rex release have a glossy gatefold cover with heavy cardboard. sadly not poster . this and these two Japanese lp I got lately are a just incredible gatefold releases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]