T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Brilliant thank-you! Is it yours?

White Revolutuon T.Rex!

Nice copy of Happy End. Are you sayng that the new Reprise E-Warrior does not have a poster? Conflicting reports :)

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I do wonder how this new pressing will hold up against the Fly. I have a good Japanese Odeon pressing that sounds the way you describe the new Reprise. The Odeon has a lot of rhythm and is weighted toward the bottom end. Conversely, the Fly has a lot of space and vertical depth to the sound and, as you describe, the vocals have plenty of room to breath. Despite my Fly copy having been well-played over the years, I still prefer it to the Japanese Odeon.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The first US pressing was a gatefold. I have one.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Hopefully your comments just saved me a lot of money because I've always wanted the Japan released Odeon. I have the Fly as well but it's sounding like this new Rhino issue is a compelling pressing for mega fans of this album.

mr.datsun likes this.
  5. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Between the beat up original AUS pressing and the SHM SACD (☹), the thirst for AAA is strong.

Order placed. Hope it doesn’t disappoint.

6. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

No Poster on the US version.
    Unless you want to open the gatefold jacket and tack THAT onto your wall.

7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Went to my local store and they didn’t have it and said they couldn’t order it on their system. Thought that was a bit weird. Anyone know of any delays in getting this out on the streets?

8. It’s was released several weeks ago. First week of October I believe.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No. A blatant steal from Popsike:whistle:

Here is my Fly copy, took some time to obtain the poster, this thing is huuuuge:

[​IMG]

moomaloo and mick_sh like this.
  10. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I just ordered online through B&N. The B&N brick and mortar store I've been to has lots of vinyl, but never the pressings that I want... Didn't waste my time on this one.

12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

People around here have had it for a while, but Rhino's website and Barnes & Noble say it came out this past Tuesday Oct. 24th.

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

:righton: came out this last week.

stores around here only seemed to get a handful each.

14. Interesting. I bought it in a Seattle record shop two weeks ago last Friday. :tiphat:

15. Delivered As Is

Delivered As Is Well-Known Member

This is a bit off topic but anyone have comments (good or bad) on the T.Rex T.Rex Rocktober release from 2016?

16. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I found it sitting at the Barnes & Noble yesterday and grabbed it. It is probably a digital cut. Ron McMaster's initials are in the deadwax. It sounds nice, but nowhere near as fantastic as Electric Warrior. I really got it because I won't find a reasonably priced clean original in my neck of the woods.

17. Delivered As Is

Delivered As Is Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just ordered both from Amoeba using the link provided above.
    Love to find an original UK T.Rex/T.Rex.
    I have original Regal Zonophone pressings of the first two LPs. Some water damage but I'm ok with that.

18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

No, a $100 resale value would be a home-run for a Rhino reissue. With Rhino investments, you have to think in terms of base hits. The words Rhino and investment are never uttered in the same sentence - that is why I study them so much - it has become a challenge and a game to identify the one Rhino release that will defy the trend and become collectible. But Rhino does provide a back door into the investment market. When the 2017 Kevin Gray mastering of Electric Warrior is superior to the original 1971 US Reprise pressing and the 2007 limited Japanese vinyl reissue, I can inexpensively keep the superior 2017 Rhino reissue and sell the other two pressings for collectible prices. It's not what Rhino will flip for - it's about selling the inferior vintage pressings I own that Rhino frees up to sell. About six years ago I decided to only keep the superior audio/mastering of any title I own. Kevin Gray's remastering work through Rhino and elsewhere has freed up a lot of vintage and original pressings to be sold on Ebay. I am hoping for Rhino to be the superior sounding version on a number of this years Rocktober titles so that I can sell the'inferior' originals.

19. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Rhino has some rare lp and cds. this still expensive if it is sealed and with corners and seams perfect
    Black Sabbath - Live At Hammersmith Odeon

CBackley likes this.
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I found a copy today at a Sunrise records chain store at a local suburban shopping mall!

It was sort of funny, because on the staff picks wall display there was a T-Rex copy that caught my eye,
    but it was the regular Rhino version from a while ago. I had seen several "Summer of Love" titles
    at this location previously, and figured they might have the new T-Rex in the rock section, which
    they did have two copies. Small bummer is the copy I chose is seam split at the top of the rear LP pocket of the gatefold.
    But the jacket is really nice glossy thick cardboard, as other have mentioned.

gorangers likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Nice. The poster is great – mine went on the wall. Long lost to the mists of time, ditto the inner.

I liked the poster – the photo has a very nice quality.

My FLY Warrior is well-worn. It's the first album I ever bought, but I cared for records so, whilst a little marked, there is not one scratch on it and plays great.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't know. I like Kevin Gray's ear for tonal-balance that I have heard elsewhere.

I'd like to hear a sample of the Reprise. If any could upload one it'd be really nice. :)

RnRmf likes this.
  23. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

In the end I went to Discogs and paid a little over the odds to get the right 2017 Rocktober Rhino copy from a US seller - paid about £35 in total including shipping so I hope it's worth it...

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I got my poster last year when I bought a German original simply because it contained that poster. And while the German "Tanx" had the poster printed in Germany, for "Electric Warrior" Ariola imported it from the UK.

LitHum05 and mr.datsun like this.